Author Topic: Brooke Lopez Trade Idea  (Read 4634 times)

Re: Brooke Lopez Trade Idea
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2015, 06:48:19 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
I think one of the dynamics in this trade is Brooklyn's a cataclysmic salary situation.  They're 14.4M over the tax line.  They paid tax the last 2 years and if they remain over the tax, they would be subject to repeater tax, not this year but next year.  They have a very strong incentive to move Lopez, even if it's for nothing, because they're looking at a ~31M tax payment, so people are going to lowball them hard.

Danny is one guy who could release them from this purgatory, but he might not be inclined to help for obvious reasons.  Our trade exceptions and newfound cap space make us a nice facilitator.  I wouldn't be surprised if Ainge fleeced them to save them from the original fleecing. 

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2015, 06:49:11 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I too would want to pass on Lopez, but OKC seems to want him and I think it would be worth it to them. Why not help everyone out. C's get involved by moving Wallace to Nets, Nets send Lopez to OKC, OKC sends Perk to C's and Jerrett to Nets (to make it work) and Jackson to C's.
OKC gets what they want and helps in tough WC and their situation which needs help now.
OKC is going to have a tough road to resign Jackson in 2015.
Nets cut more millions now and in 2016
C's maybe get their go to PG for literally nothing and maybe even keep Perk at much reduced rate.
You can shuffled some of the C's around and with picks and still make it work.

It's not the worst, but I would much rather wait until the offseason to get anybody good.  We already kind of have a guard log jam. Plus, Reggie isn't a good shooter and just got replaced by Waiters in the pecking order over there.  I would entertain certain scenarios where we get him, but what if we get D'Angelo Russell or Mario Hezonja in the draft?  We may even get Devin Booker with our Clips Pick.  It's better to just wait, honestly.  I'd take bad players on short contracts, but anybody who needs PT and isn't a cornerstone piece is someone we should just pass on until things sort out a little more.

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2015, 12:03:25 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
I too would want to pass on Lopez, but OKC seems to want him and I think it would be worth it to them. Why not help everyone out. C's get involved by moving Wallace to Nets, Nets send Lopez to OKC, OKC sends Perk to C's and Jerrett to Nets (to make it work) and Jackson to C's.
OKC gets what they want and helps in tough WC and their situation which needs help now.
OKC is going to have a tough road to resign Jackson in 2015.
Nets cut more millions now and in 2016
C's maybe get their go to PG for literally nothing and maybe even keep Perk at much reduced rate.
You can shuffled some of the C's around and with picks and still make it work.

You are not getting OKC and Brooklyn to agree to a trade where the Celtics net Reggie Jackson while getting the privilege of dumping Gerald Wallace unless you're sending good first round picks to both teams.

It's not the worst, but I would much rather wait until the offseason to get anybody good.  We already kind of have a guard log jam. Plus, Reggie isn't a good shooter and just got replaced by Waiters in the pecking order over there.  I would entertain certain scenarios where we get him, but what if we get D'Angelo Russell or Mario Hezonja in the draft?  We may even get Devin Booker with our Clips Pick.  It's better to just wait, honestly.  I'd take bad players on short contracts, but anybody who needs PT and isn't a cornerstone piece is someone we should just pass on until things sort out a little more.

I think it's very humorous that you're somewhat resistant to a really implausible trade that somehow turns Gerald Wallace (AND NOTHING ELSE) into Reggie Jackson.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 12:12:14 PM by Endless Paradise »

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2015, 12:12:03 PM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
I would trade Wallace, KO and a 1st for Lopez if I had to.   

I'd start with others besides KO.  And also start with a bunch of seconds first.  But call me crazy, I would ship out a first and KO with Wallace for Lopez.   Risky yes, crazy maybe.  But we will not break the bank.   Sulley and Lopez would be very slow.  But our perimeter D is good enough to limit that.   

Brooklyn could use the stretch on Wallace and we could send out multiple 2nd rounders for them to fill out their roster in the next couple years.   
Diggles

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2015, 12:12:21 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
Boston has enough flexibility to help Brooklyn unload Lopez to any desired location.  Ditching Lopez would save Brooklyn a mountain of money.  Well, a mountain to me.  30 to 40M.  The question is, who has assets that make it worth it for Danny.

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=75814.msg1812616#new