Author Topic: Celtics along with looking at Haywood looking at Rasual Butler & Antoine Wright  (Read 5181 times)

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
http://www.csnne.com/07/01/10/Celtics-inquired-about-Brendan-Haywood/v1_landing.html?blockID=264642&feedID=3352

We all know that the C's are looking at Dallas with Sheeds contract...

The Celtics have a couple different ways they can go about trying to acquire Haywood.

Because he's an unrestricted free agent, they can sign him straight-up.

The C's could look into a possible sign-and-trade by giving the Mavericks Rasheed Wallace, who is expected to retire, in exchange for Haywood.

For Dallas, they could buy Wallace out at a reduced amount from his $6.3 million contract this season, which would give them added financial flexibility.

Meanwhile, the C's would find a frontcourt replacement for Wallace without it really costing them any more than they were planning to pay this season.

Here is the part about the wings that I was also intrigued by...

Along with Haywood, the Celtics also reached out to a couple of wing players, 6-7 guard/forward Antoine Wright of Toronto as well as 6-7 guard/forward Rasual Butler who averaged a career-high 11.9 points per game last season with the Los Angeles Clippers.

Butler has better numbers, but he is also five years older, therefore I wouldn't mind either.

What I really would like to happen though is SCBirdman's best case scenario based on yesterdays rumors...

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=39650.0

That is probably a pipe dream though.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
I've always liked Butler as nice player of the bench.  He's a much better 3 pt shooter than Wright.

If he can make a wide open 3 maybe he could even replace Ray at the 2.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
It was noted earlier by Jeff, 'Sheed's contract alone could get us in the ~$8M/per range for a trade, so we could offer Haywood more $$ than teams with just the MLE to offer.  Toss in Big Game Davis, and you get even higher.

Wonder if there could be a sign-and-trade including Perk...  I mean, I love the guy but we're going to have a half-season of Perk at best before he's an unrestricted free agent.  Wonder if Dallas might want Perk not just for next years' playoffs, but to acquire his Bird rights so they could re-sign him long-term.  Dallas didn't mind overpaying Dampier for many years, Perk's kind of a rich man's Dampier.  

Perk's a Texas boy, too.

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
It was noted earlier by Jeff, 'Sheed's contract alone could get us in the ~$8M/per range for a trade, so we could offer Haywood more $$ than teams with just the MLE to offer.  Toss in Big Game Davis, and you get even higher.

Wonder if there could be a sign-and-trade including Perk...  I mean, I love the guy but we're going to have a half-season of Perk at best before he's an unrestricted free agent.  Wonder if Dallas might want Perk not just for next years' playoffs, but to acquire his Bird rights so they could re-sign him long-term.  Dallas didn't mind overpaying Dampier for many years, Perk's kind of a rich man's Dampier.  

Perk's a Texas boy, too.

I would add Perk (not davis because he's good) in any trade that brought back Haywood.  Haywood appears to be resigning with Dallas anyway.  So it's a probably a moot point.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Do you think the Mavs are willing to do a sign and trade for Haywood. If they trade away him and eventually waive Dampier they will not have a center on the roster.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
Do you think the Mavs are willing to do a sign and trade for Haywood. If they trade away him and eventually waive Dampier they will not have a center on the roster.

That's why I think we'd have to include Perk in a S&T. 

Most likely is that Cuban just re-signs Haywood.

Unlikely, but plausible, is that a sign-and-trade is arranged.  Haywood gets something like $8M/per, a bit more than the MLE (he's a big man, and big men are expensive).  Dallas gets Perk and 'Sheed's contract to make the numbers work.  Perk is Dallas' long-term center, but until he's healthy they do kind of what we were talking about doing - fill in with someone like Kurt Thomas or Rasho for the first half of the season.

If they waived Dampier, could they re-sign him at a lesser amount using the MLE?

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Unlikely, but plausible, is that a sign-and-trade is arranged.  Haywood gets something like $8M/per, a bit more than the MLE (he's a big man, and big men are expensive).  Dallas gets Perk and 'Sheed's contract to make the numbers work.  Perk is Dallas' long-term center, but until he's healthy they do kind of what we were talking about doing - fill in with someone like Kurt Thomas or Rasho for the first half of the season.

If they waived Dampier, could they re-sign him at a lesser amount using the MLE?

wait -- we're trading a hugely valuable trade chip AND perk for brandon haywood? no chance...
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen

wait -- we're trading a hugely valuable trade chip AND perk for brandon haywood? no chance...

It'd be a half-season of Perk.  Is he going to re-up in twelve months?  At what cost? 

I'm not saying it's likely or that it's what I would do...  but if we want Haywood, it's going to take more than the MLE.  An MLE offer, why's he going to come here when Cuban would give him that without thinking twice?  What's the incentive for Dallas to do a S&T, unless they're getting something back?  There's no reason for them to take on 'Sheed's contract, expiring or not, when they could just let the guy walk.

What's the appeal of Boston for Haywood, versus all of the other teams that would offer him the full MLE?  Haywood's not going to sign here to be the long-term backup, if the C's really want him that means that Perk's going to be on his way out of town eventually.

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think Butler would be a good fit for his 3 point shooting. His numbers weren't that great (3pt %) but his stroke is smooth.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
If Cuban resigns Haywood, he'll likely be waiving Dampier, who has a horrible, 13-million non-guaranteed deal.

Frankly, I'd have either of these two as our starting center until Perk comes back, so I hope we can make a deal hapen there.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Haywood is a better basketball player than Perk.

Sorry, but it's true.

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Sorry, but it's true.

Better, maybe, but not necessarily a better fit on our team or more useful in the playoffs.

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I like Rasual...my only question with Haywood is does anyone here know how he's matched up against Gasol, Bynum, or Dwight over the last couple of years?

I know he is one of the better defensive Centers in the league..he's the youngest center out of Shaq or Brad that we are looking at (only 30 or 31?)

Haywood is a slightly better offensive player than Perk. I am just concerned about whether he could keep Dwight out of the lanes, and how he's well he's fared against Gasol and Bynum.

Banner 18 will go through these Bigs.

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

Sorry, but it's true.

Better, maybe, but not necessarily a better fit on our team or more useful in the playoffs.

True.  They're actually quite similar in terms of size, rebounding, and shot blocking.  I'd give an edge to Perk in low post defense, but declare them a wash overall defensively, as Haywood is a bit more active and does better against quicker 5's.  Offensively, Haywood is no Wilt, but he is surely more confident and more explosive with the ball close to the hoop.  Doesn't rack up Techs...

I'd say they're as close to interchangable as two role players can get, except one his young with a serious injury and the other is older but healthy.