Author Topic: Hoopshype says Celtics first to call David Lee - but no article  (Read 15262 times)

Re: Hoopshype says Celtics first to call David Lee - but no article
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2010, 07:47:13 PM »

Offline banks336

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 7
Honestly I would much rather see Oden, Pryzbilla, or Amare at the center position

Lee isn't a center.

His numbers vs the Celtics last season:

23 ppg, 12.8 rpg, 4.8apg, 0.8 bpg
Well the celtics definitely wouldn't bring him in to be our PF, 90 percent of his starts last season were at Center & he's much more of a center than Baby.. If Allen goes to the Heat, a sign and trade for Beasly, Joel Anythony wouldn't be bad in my opinion

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2010, 07:47:58 PM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 70
Two separate deals?

S&T Ray for Eddy Curry

S&T David Lee for Sheed + filler

That would be enough to get Lee paid $8M-$10M
and Ray anywhere up to around $13M-$14M

Then we sign Morrow to be a much younger sniper.
If we can get Lee for Sheed and Filler I have no idea why we would trade Ray for the human trash can.

exactly. why all this obsession to trade for Eddie Curry? That idea doesn't help us in any situation, it only helps the Knicks, which is almost like helping the lakers.

Indifferent to the Curry portion of this, as Lee is the one I think would fit really well.

But Curry could fill in at center until the all-star break when Perk gets back and then, as has been noted, he'd have real value as an expiring contract. To Boston or some other team in the trade market. Good way to grab another asset.

Of course - NY only does this if it helps them load up with LBJ and co. So, you're sort of creating your own nemesis by doing it.

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2010, 07:51:35 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2706
Two separate deals?

S&T Ray for Eddy Curry

If we can get Lee for Sheed and Filler I have no idea why we would trade Ray for the human trash can.

exactly. why all this obsession to trade for Eddie Curry? That idea doesn't help us in any situation, it only helps the Knicks, which is almost like helping the lakers.

Indifferent to the Curry portion of this, as Lee is the one I think would fit really well.

But Curry could fill in at center until the all-star break when Perk gets back and then, as has been noted, he'd have real value as an expiring contract. To Boston or some other team in the trade market. Good way to grab another asset.

Of course - NY only does this if it helps them load up with LBJ and co. So, you're sort of creating your own nemesis by doing it.

exactly. If we help NY create a lebron + co-star superteam, then it doesn't matter if we get Lee. I'd rather take my chances with signing a cheap FA and waiting for Perk to come back.

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2010, 07:54:11 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Before you help NYK, first lets make sure Bosh & JJ sign elsewhere. Then proceed. I'm indifferent with whoever else is available to them. As long as Lebron doesn't call Bosh/Wade/JJ teammate.

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2010, 08:05:46 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
it came from Jeff Goodman's twitter:

http://twitter.com/goodmanonfox/status/17521080347

the Cs really have nothing to offer then knicks in s&t except ray allen, which seems unlikely...

Yeah, it seems unlikely that Lee would come to Boston on the full MLE, because he could get more elsewhere.  But who knows, maybe he would value being on a winner for once...

It would be interesting to see what the Celtics can work out (if anything).  I don't think they need to take Eddy Curry's contract.  Lee isn't restricted.  If Lee doesn't want to be back in NYC, it is a case of the Knicks getting nothing, or maybe getting a few small sweeteners.  They would take the sweeteners over nothing.

e.g.: S&T Lee to Boston for 5 years $49MM (first year at $8M -- I believe this contract is the most the Celtics can offer Lee), in return Knicks get Sheed's contract and $3M in cash and 2 second rounders.

The questions are:
(1) does Lee really want to be in Boston? What role would he play? He would be a PF behind KG in the rotation, competing with BBD for minutes.
(2) Is a 5 year $49M deal enough to get him?  Other teams can offer him more.
(3) What if the Knicks just refuse, and prefer to let him go and get nothing in return?
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2010, 08:11:45 PM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney

the Cs really have nothing to offer then knicks in s&t except ray allen, which seems unlikely...

Yeah, it seems unlikely that Lee would come to Boston on the full MLE, because he could get more elsewhere.  But who knows, maybe he would value being on a winner for once...

It would be interesting to see what the Celtics can work out (if anything).  I don't think they need to take Eddy Curry's contract.  Lee isn't restricted.  If Lee doesn't want to be back in NYC, it is a case of the Knicks getting nothing, or maybe getting a few small sweeteners.  They would take the sweeteners over nothing.

e.g.: S&T Lee to Boston for 5 years $49MM (first year at $8M -- I believe this contract is the most the Celtics can offer Lee), in return Knicks get Sheed's contract and $3M in cash and 2 second rounders.

The questions are:
(1) does Lee really want to be in Boston? What role would he play? He would be a PF behind KG in the rotation, competing with BBD for minutes.
(2) Is a 5 year $49M deal enough to get him?  Other teams can offer him more.
(3) What if the Knicks just refuse, and prefer to let him go and get nothing in return?

Bosh would have to be off-the-table because NY will want Lee to use in a S&T for Bosh if they can get him. Assume then that Bosh commits to Miami or Chicago.

Would it make sense for both teams to do S&T Lee for Sheed, Big Baby, #1 in 2011? (not sure how much that would allow Boston to pay Lee but somewhere north of $10M per, I think). Anyway, that 2011 draft is going to be weak so the pick is not terribly valuable. However NY might need cheap ways to add talent if they load up on max guys and an extra first is a way to do it.

EDIT - I'm just musing here. No idea how genuine the opportunity is. But it's exactly the right kind of thing for Boston to do. Use the ability to offer cap relief to acquire talent you couldn't otherwise get.

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2010, 08:45:48 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
NY can't S&T Lee to Toronto if Lee doesn't want to go there.

« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2010, 09:22:05 PM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
NY can't S&T Lee to Toronto if Lee doesn't want to go there.

Obviously.

EDIT - Amir Johnson signing renders this a moot discussion.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 09:36:09 PM by FallGuy »

« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2010, 09:36:58 PM »

Offline joe forte loves scoobydoo

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 9
Hey guys.  New member to the blog.  Long time observer for all news Celtics, but decided today to get in on the discussion.

I like Lee a lot.  He's tough, rugged, rebounds, and is athletic (something this aging core, assuming Ray and Paul resign, need desperately).  He is a 77% ft shooter, and shot 56% from the field in his career, which is really terrific stuff. 

He had a career year for the Knicks last year at 22ppg-12rpg(3 offensive rebounds pg)-4apg as most of you know.  Those numbers would go down, because, lets face it, they were the Knicks, and D'Antoni only cares about the offense.  However, I feel his numbers wouldn't dip too much because of his high field goal percentage and vast amount of hustle points he puts up.  Of course there would be less shots in Boston, but Lee makes the most of his attempts, which is shown by his fg% (55%,9th last year).  You know what you're going to get with Lee, which was listed above.  I assume his defense needs at the very least some work because the Knicks play absolutely none, even less than none, but that is pretty much the only down side I see about Lee. 

Now with all that said, everyone in the league would like a guy like Lee, and despite my like of him, I just don't know how this is going to work, getting him, Paul, and Ray, plus filling out the rest of our roster.  I assume S/T's with Glen Davis and Sheed's contract are the only pieces we have to move in any move.  But the fact that Danny has reached out to him makes me think he has at least some idea of a move to accomplish all of this in his bag of tricks.  If he does, it certainly would be another slight-of-hand act from Danny Boy.  Even if we don't get Lee, he's the type of player we need to look at, and it's nice to see Danny not sitting idly hoping for the Big 3 to find the fountain of youth, and being proactive.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what moves Danny is able to make, and being a part of this online community.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 11:59:08 PM by joe forte loves scoobydoo »

« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2010, 09:49:37 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Ray Allen and Sheed's contract for David Lee and Eddie Curry makes a lot of sense

For Boston: Get frontcourt help and a replacement for KG in a few years. You would obviously have to sign Miller,Morrow or Redick with the MLE.

Curry could become a valuable trade chip at the deadline (13 mil expiring), because some teams might be wanting to get out of long contracts with the CBA deal being up after this year

Brilliant. Always liked David Lee.

I want lee SO bad at this point. Make it happen, Danny!
I know he has something up his sleeve
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2010, 09:51:15 PM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney

Ray Allen and Sheed's contract for David Lee and Eddie Curry makes a lot of sense

For Boston: Get frontcourt help and a replacement for KG in a few years. You would obviously have to sign Miller,Morrow or Redick with the MLE.

Curry could become a valuable trade chip at the deadline (13 mil expiring), because some teams might be wanting to get out of long contracts with the CBA deal being up after this year

Brilliant. Always liked David Lee.

I want lee SO bad at this point. Make it happen, Danny!
I know he has something up his sleeve

I held out hope until I saw the Amir Johnson contract. Lee has to be worth $14M+ at this point.

No way to get hold of him now.

« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2010, 09:55:33 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Hey guys.  New member to the blog.  Long time observer for all news Celtics, but decided today to get in on the discussion.

I like Lee a lot.  He's tough, rugged, rebounds, and is athletic (something this aging core, assuming Ray and Paul resign, need desperately).  He is a 77% ft shooter, and shot 56% from the field in his career, which is really terrific stuff. 

He had a career year for the Knicks last year at 22ppg-12rpg(3 offensive rebounds pg)-4apg as most of you know.  Those numbers would go down, because, lets face it, they were the Knicks, and D'Antoni only cares about the offense.  However, I feel his numbers wouldn't dip too much because of his high field goal percentage and vast amount of hustle points he puts up.  Of course there would be less shots in Boston, but Lee makes the most of his attempts, which is shown by his fg% (55%,9th last year).  You know what you're going to get with Lee, which was listed above.  I assume his defense needs at the very least some work because the Knicks play absolutely none, even less than none, but that is pretty much the only down side I see about Lee. 

Now with all that said, everyone in the league would like a guy like Lee, and despite my like of him, I just don't know how this is going to work, getting him, Paul, and Ray, plus filling out the rest of our roster.  I assume S/T's with Glen Davis and Sheed's contract are the only pieces we have to move in any move.  But the fact that Danny has reached out to him makes me think he has at least some idea of a move to accomplish all of this up his sleeve.  If he does, it certainly would be another slight-of-hand act from Mr. Ainge.  Even if we don't get Lee, he's the type of player we need to look at, and it's nice to see Danny not sitting idly hoping for the Big 3 to find the fountain of youth, and being proactive.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what moves Danny is able to make, and being a part of this online community.

Welcome to the Blog, Joe Forte. Here's your first Tommy Point.

I like David Lee, as well..I think we need more length than what he has, but sure he does have a knack for scoring, and is a solid rebounder as well, like you listed.

We'll see what happens...if we can get him without giving up too much, then I'll be happy.

But even if we can do this, I still believe we need more height - a la Brad Miller or Shaq.

« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2010, 09:57:25 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544

I held out hope until I saw the Amir Johnson contract. Lee has to be worth $14M+ at this point.

No way to get hold of him now.

Hopes smashed. Another reason to hate the NBA. Guys like Drew & Amir get tens of millions of $$$ for being scrubs.

« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2010, 10:30:23 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

Now with all that said, everyone in the league would like a guy like Lee, and despite my like of him, I just don't know how this is going to work, getting him, Paul, and Ray, plus filling out the rest of our roster.  I assume S/T's with Glen Davis and Sheed's contract are the only pieces we have to move in any move.  But the fact that Danny has reached out to him makes me think he has at least some idea of a move to accomplish all of this up his sleeve.  If he does, it certainly would be another slight-of-hand act from Mr. Ainge.  Even if we don't get Lee, he's the type of player we need to look at, and it's nice to see Danny not sitting idly hoping for the Big 3 to find the fountain of youth, and being proactive.

Welcome to the Blog, Joe Forte. Here's your first Tommy Point.

I like David Lee, as well..I think we need more length than what he has, but sure he does have a knack for scoring, and is a solid rebounder as well, like you listed.

We'll see what happens...if we can get him without giving up too much, then I'll be happy.

But even if we can do this, I still believe we need more height - a la Brad Miller or Shaq.

Another TP for an excellent first post.   Yes I agree even if we get Lee in some sort of Sheed, Davis, draft pick kind of trade we still need more height however we wouldn't be as pressed to use the full MLE on that type of player. 

« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2010, 11:40:01 PM »

Offline dpaps

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 88
Two separate deals?

S&T Ray for Eddy Curry

The reason why all the realistic deals have included Curry is that the Knicks need a reason to do the deal also. We can only offer Lee the MLE, but he'll surely sign for more than that so we need the Knicks to do a sign and trade. The only way they would do that is if we took back Eddy Curry's bad contract. You can't do two sign and trades in one deal, so the above trade would actually have to be done in two separate deals with the two teams having a mutual agreement. The only reason the Knicks would do Lee for Sheed+Filler is because the teams agreed to also do the Ray for Curry.