Author Topic: Ainge Trying to Trade Sheed's Contract as We Type  (Read 20093 times)

Re: Ainge Trying to Trade Sheed's Contract as We Type
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2010, 10:59:29 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I'm confused, which Chandler are you speaking of? Wilson Chandler of the Knicks or Tyson Chandler of the Bobcats. If it's Tyson Chandler he decided not to opt out and is making $11 MM this year.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2010, 11:03:21 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I'm confused, which Chandler are you speaking of? Wilson Chandler of the Knicks or Tyson Chandler of the Bobcats. If it's Tyson Chandler he decided not to opt out and is making $11 MM this year.

Tyson Chandler.  We trade Sheed and Tony for him.

« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2010, 11:04:03 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!
My dream is Sheed and Tony (or Nate) for Chandler.  Then sign Childress, and this team is again among the top contenders.

yeah, Chandler is at the top of my list too. Rondo would love throwing him those back door slams and if he could pick up our defensive rotation system, he could get a ton of blocks...and my sense is that he is a better help defender than on-man defender...

on another note, I saw someone mention that Sheed might change his mind with Doc coming back. I think I might be in the minority here, but I'd actually be happy to see Sheed back. He's a better option to me than many of the names we see popping up in rumors.

I think it's time for Sheed to retire. He came up big for us in the postseason, but in the end him playing most of the season not being in games shape really caught up to him (back, cramping up). Unless he can really commit himself physically, then he should walk away with some pride. Even though he was limited in Game 7, he gave it all he could. That's how I'd like to remember him as a Celtic.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2010, 11:07:46 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

For $11 MM I'd much rather have Biedrins or Al Jefferson.

« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2010, 11:12:10 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Two problems.  First, they both have long term contracts, while Chandlers would be expiring, which might be appealing.

But much more importantly, I don't think those guys are on the market for a package like that.  The Wolves have been looking to get some decent value for Jefferson (Randolph was an All-Star last year I believe), and I really have not heard much about the Warriors trading Biedrins...particularly for a salary dump.

But, if those guys can be had for a similar package, I would certainly consider it...although I think I would prefer Chandler over Jefferson, since I don't like Jefferson's injuries to go along with his contract.

« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2010, 11:14:53 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Other than Beasley, maybe we can use Sheed's contract in a sign and trade with NY for D. Lee. Depending on the contract amount we'd have to offer another piece. I think he'll get $10-11m to start, so we can sign TA and throw him in.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2010, 11:15:35 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

Two problems.  First, they both have long term contracts, while Chandlers would be expiring, which might be appealing.

But much more importantly, I don't think those guys are on the market for a package like that.  The Wolves have been looking to get some decent value for Jefferson (Randolph was an All-Star last year I believe), and I really have not heard much about the Warriors trading Biedrins...particularly for a salary dump.

But, if those guys can be had for a similar package, I would certainly consider it...although I think I would prefer Chandler over Jefferson, since I don't like Jefferson's injuries to go along with his contract.
Fair enough, Randolph is also an expiring contract, which is what gave me the idea that they might move Al in a salary.

« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2010, 11:23:19 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Fair enough, Randolph is also an expiring contract, which is what gave me the idea that they might move Al in a salary.

Yeah, he is, but I think they look at him as a guy who they can look at for a year, and then get him off the books.  I don't think they are at the point of giving away Al for essentially nothing yet.  Maybe later in the summer they will get desperate though.

« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2010, 11:29:43 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

Chandler's contract swings both way, though, Chris. CHA could look at Chandler not opting out as a reason to keep him because he becomes an expiring deal for the upcoming season.

CHA, IMO, is now looking at themselves as a solid playoff team and will probably want something tantalizing in return for Chandler along with the money savings....

For players with longer contracts (a la Big Al), the other team might be more willing to lose in the talent department BECAUSE they're losing the long term contract from their books.

I honestly have no idea what Minny is thinking in terms of Big Al. I would think the last think Khan wants to do is hand another big man over to the Cs who ends up helping us win a Title.

as for Big Als contract, if we remember, he actually signed a pretty reasonable contract given his skill set. He took less money for long term security. I'd actually look at Big Als contract in the same light (even with his injury) because I think he would excel here in his old surroundings thus making the contract seem at the very least fair value.

« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2010, 11:31:58 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Other than Beasley, maybe we can use Sheed's contract in a sign and trade with NY for D. Lee. Depending on the contract amount we'd have to offer another piece. I think he'll get $10-11m to start, so we can sign TA and throw him in.

NYK isn't looking to shed salary.  They area looking to circumvent the cap in any way possible to make their team relevant again.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2010, 11:34:51 AM »

Offline Jon Niednagel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57

Two problems.  First, they both have long term contracts, while Chandlers would be expiring, which might be appealing.

But much more importantly, I don't think those guys are on the market for a package like that.  The Wolves have been looking to get some decent value for Jefferson (Randolph was an All-Star last year I believe), and I really have not heard much about the Warriors trading Biedrins...particularly for a salary dump.

There was a story around the time of the draft about Golden state trying to dump both Ellis and Biedrins for financial reasons. I can't find it now, but there is also this story from this morning that confirms Biedrins could be had in a salary dump.

The Nuggets are attempting to acquire Andris Biedrins from the Warriors.

Golden State is looking to shed the $9M annual contract of Biedrins.

Denver is having difficulty matching the salaries since they only have J.R. Smith and Kenyon Martin to offer.

Via Denver Post

Read more: http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_teams/golden_state/2010/07/#ixzz0sReDHl00
“Being a Celtic is, every decision you make is about the team. Every cut you make is about the team. Every pass you make is about the team. You take yourself out of it. It’s not for everyone. If you don’t want to win, don’t want to play team basketball, and it’s more about you then you’re probably not a Celtic." Doc 2010

« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2010, 11:38:23 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
sheed only did good in Boston
here he do another good one
Hope this works..
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2010, 11:43:56 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Two problems.  First, they both have long term contracts, while Chandlers would be expiring, which might be appealing.

But much more importantly, I don't think those guys are on the market for a package like that.  The Wolves have been looking to get some decent value for Jefferson (Randolph was an All-Star last year I believe), and I really have not heard much about the Warriors trading Biedrins...particularly for a salary dump.

There was a story around the time of the draft about Golden state trying to dump both Ellis and Biedrins for financial reasons. I can't find it now, but there is also this story from this morning that confirms Biedrins could be had in a salary dump.

The Nuggets are attempting to acquire Andris Biedrins from the Warriors.

Golden State is looking to shed the $9M annual contract of Biedrins.

Denver is having difficulty matching the salaries since they only have J.R. Smith and Kenyon Martin to offer.

Via Denver Post

Read more: http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_teams/golden_state/2010/07/#ixzz0sReDHl00

My problem with those stories is that I don't think they get the whole picture.  They often twist the fact that a team would like to get out from under a big contract into suggesting they will give them away for any expiring contract someone is willing to give up.

We went through this at the trade deadline when people were reporting that GS was looking to use Ellis in a salary dump, and Philly was looking to dump AI.  But in reality, the story was (and probably still is) that they want an expiring contract as part of the package. 

It's like Gasol going to the Lakers.  Yes, it was a salary dump.  But there also were multiple draft picks and prospects going to Memphis. 

They are looking for the same thing in these cases.  It is very rare that teams do pure salary dumps for good players, unless they are really pushing the luxury tax line, or trying to get max room under the cap.  That's not the case here.  These are just some players where there is a bit of buyers remorse, and they would like to take another swing by getting a less proven prospect or two, and some savings in return.

« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2010, 12:29:19 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
I do think Boston needs to confirm with Rasheed that he wants to retire. If he does, and doesn't plan on collecting any money, then he/his agent can probably be persuaded to take a buyout of roughly $1-2 million. That's how he becomes valuable. If we trade him for another guy making $7 million, the team that trades for him buys him out and saves $5-6 million instantly, $10-12 million if the team is or plans to be above the luxury tax threshold. More, if we take on a guy on a multi-year deal. As much as we're talking about the Celtics paying the team Rasheed's buyout money, a lot of teams looking to dispose of multi-year players would be willing to pay the Celtics the $3 million since they'd still save at least a few mil.

I think the best targets are:

Anderson Varejao (4 years, $32+ million, starting at a big over $7 million - I can't get on shamsports so I'm relying on hoopshype's less up to date numbers) - overpaid for a bad team, which is what Cleveland will be without Lebron, but he is NOT overpaid if he's on a good team because he brings a lot to the table for a winner - he's my number one choice. (Also, hoopshype has a fifth year listed as a $9.8 million team option; I think this is actually an unguaranteed year similar to what Dallas has with Dampier; though it's five years down the road, it could be a valuable trade chip depending on changes made under the new CBA to be created next summer.)

Jeff Foster (1 year, about $6.6 million) - decent defender, older so not part of Indiana's future. However, they only have Hibbert as another center, so they may just hold onto him for the year or at least until the middle of the season.

Emeka Okafor (4 years, about $52 million, starting at about $11.5 million) - lot of money owed over a bunch of years for a guy who has proven to be an adequate, but not particularly great, center. This would most likely be structured as a Sheed and Perk for Okafor deal. The Celtics have their center for the next few years - but do you want to be overpaying him that much? Probably a better rebounder than Perk but not as good defensively. Has better offensive game, but not that good. More athletic, not as strong. Question is, do we resign Perk for substantially less than Okafor's getting over the next three? Or is Perk gonna be looking at/looking for something along the lines of 5 years, $50 million when he hits free agency? New Orleans would probably do it to take the savings of roughly $5 million this year after buying out Sheed, and they still have a young center in place who they can resign for less money than they'd be paying Okafor. What kind of sweeteners can we get from New Orleans? For the savings, might New Orleans be willing to throw in the rights to Craig Brackins or a future first? I think this might be one worth exploring.

Samuel Dalembert (1 year, $12.2 million) - again, you've got to find some other pieces Sacramento is interested in to make the salaries work. But he could fill in with Perk out, and be a valuable potential midseason trade chip depending on how Perk returns.

Nazr Mohammed (1 year, about $6.9 million) - Charlotte probably would prefer to hold onto him instead of Chandler, but he'd be a good target.

Tyson Chandler (1 year, $12.75 million) - we'd have to include extra salary, so this one may not be as feasible or palatable. Plus, his injury history makes it very possible the Celtics do nothing but waste money bringing him in. Charlotte possibly willing to deal him and stick with Mohammed at center.

DeSagana Diop (3 years, almost $21 million, starting at $6.5 million) - crazy overpaid and two more years owed. Charlotte would jump on the chance to send him to us. He probably can't even fill the role we need. I'd avoid him.

Andris Biedrins (4 years, $36 million, $9 million this year) - we'd have to add other parts to make this work (perhaps the nonguaranteed deals of Gaffney and Lafayette would be enough). Biedrins is offensively limited and has had injury problems. I'm not sold on this guy. It's a risk-reward move though. He might be badly overpaid for several more years. Or he might actually be a pretty good value contract for an athletic young center with good defense and rebounding.

Dan Gadzuric (1 year, about $7.25 million) - career backup who couldn't really even fill that role. Local kid, maybe he'd bring more to the Celtics, but I really don't like the idea of overpaying him that much. That said, he could spell minutes and if we pick up another center elsewhere and Perkins comes back okay, his expiring contract could have value later in the season.

Joel Przybilla (1 year, $7.4 million) - on the last year of his deal, Portland already has Camby and Oden. But Przybilla will probably be out to start the season. When he first injured his knee in late December and had surgery, there was a 6-8 month expected recovery time. Then he reinjured the knee in March and had to have a second surgery. So he may be out until December. Pointless when our primary need is somebody to step in immediately in Perk's absence.
Go Celtics.

« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2010, 12:52:49 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
sheed only did good in Boston
here he do another good one
Hope this works..

I agree.  My hat is off to 'Sheed for allowing the Celtics the opportunity to use his deal to help the team.  First off, he could have taken the money and coasted over the next two seasons, but he chose not to do that.  And now he helps them in this way.  I know this past season was hard on him, but in the end I have respect for what he did for us in the playoffs and this decision regarding his retirement.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."