Author Topic: Ainge Trying to Trade Sheed's Contract as We Type  (Read 20091 times)

Re: Ainge Trying to Trade Sheed's Contract as We Type
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2010, 07:43:57 AM »

Offline Timbaland7

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 8
If Sheed retires and Ainge trades his contract, would the league allow Sheed to re-sign with us mid season?

If he came back his contract would kick back in on that teams payroll.
Thanks for the insight.

What about this: Sheed is traded. What are the options for him to come back to us mid-season? For example, if the other team buys him out? Any other options?
If he was bought out, after 30 days the trading team (Boston) would be allowed to resign him with available exemptions (which is only Mid-level for us) or the vet minimum ($1M).  If he signs during the season, that amount would be pro-rated.

Basically... unless the team receiving 'Sheed buys him out for his full contract value, there is no way he's coming back for vet. minimum.

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2010, 07:44:49 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Boston Celtics GM Danny Ainge is trying to use Rasheed Wallace’s contract in trade talks, a move that would allow the Celtics to keep their midlevel exception, league sources said.

Wallace has yet to file retirement papers, so the $6.32 million owed him next season and $6.79 million in 2011-12 would come off a team’s books after Wallace is traded to them. They could do a deal and not take on his money. Ainge is trying to use the Wallace contract to bring back a power forward or center to replace Wallace and the injured Kendrick Perkins.

The Celtics could then use their midlevel exception for a different player. Several sources believe that Ainge’s target is Orlando’s J.J. Redick, who is a restricted free agent.

Boston has strong interest in Brad Miller in free agency and could try to acquire Dallas center Erick Dampier.

– Adrian Wojnarowski, June 30, 11:45 ET

This is under trade Buzz on yahoo.

Surprise!  Adrian Wojnarowski is wrong again!  First of all, 'Sheed's third year is a player option, which he would waive by announcing his retirement.  Second, retired players contracts still count against the cap, even if they are not earning any money.
There is one way to get cap relief for a retired player, by him officially signing retirement papers.  This would prevent the player from being allowed to play for 1 year.  But, there is still a catch... it would only provide cap relief to the team that originally signed him.
Long story short... if we trade 'Sheed's "retiring" contract, the receiving team would effectively be receiving an expiring deal that they don't have to pay.
Still... it would be a very attractive deal for teams in financial trouble, or have cheap owners.  It would not be ideal for teams that are in the luxury, because they would still have to pay the dollar-for-dollar tax on 'Sheed's contract, even if they are not paying him.

Make sense???
What if the team that trades for him buys him out. Then the cap  number would go down and Sheed would actually make some money upfront that he wouldn't make when he retired.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2010, 07:49:33 AM »

Offline Timbaland7

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 8

What if the team that trades for him buys him out. Then the cap  number would go down and Sheed would actually make some money upfront that he wouldn't make when he retired.
[/quote]
True, but the buyout would still count against the team's cap.  Sheed's contract is definitely appealing.  I'm just pointing out that Adrian knows nothing of NBA cap rules, and he is always reporting absolute crap that he hears from bums off the street.

Boston Herald reported today that 'Sheed may reconsider retirement because Doc is coming back.

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2010, 07:50:14 AM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
I LOVE the Reddick idea...

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2010, 07:56:59 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

True, but the buyout would still count against the team's cap.  Sheed's contract is definitely appealing.  I'm just pointing out that Adrian knows nothing of NBA cap rules, and he is always reporting absolute crap that he hears from bums off the street.

Boston Herald reported today that 'Sheed may reconsider retirement because Doc is coming back.
[/quote]
I trust WoJo's sources more than those of the Herald. Mostly because I would rather believe that Sheed is retiring.

I would settle for a buy out and then Sheed coming back after the all star break. Sheed starting the first half of the season isn't appealing to me at all.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2010, 08:04:23 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I LOVE the Reddick idea...
As do I , I mistakenly thought he was 6'2" or so awhile ago.  He would be great for our backcourt and team.  A younger Kirk really, with better range.

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2010, 08:06:30 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I love the Reddick idea too.  Since he is a RFA I wonder at what price the Magic would match.   If we offered the full MLE is that too much for him and would the Magic match that?   If they did and we wasted time going after him we might miss out on other players. 

« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2010, 08:48:05 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
So, in reading many topics, I find that we could get JJ Reddick, Josh Childress, Brad Miller, plus resign PP and Ray Allen.  Hmmm, sign me up!
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2010, 09:26:00 AM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
Surprise!  Adrian Wojnarowski is wrong again!  First of all, 'Sheed's third year is a player option, which he would waive by announcing his retirement.  Second, retired players contracts still count against the cap, even if they are not earning any money.
There is one way to get cap relief for a retired player, by him officially signing retirement papers.  This would prevent the player from being allowed to play for 1 year.  But, there is still a catch... it would only provide cap relief to the team that originally signed him.
Long story short... if we trade 'Sheed's "retiring" contract, the receiving team would effectively be receiving an expiring deal that they don't have to pay.
Still... it would be a very attractive deal for teams in financial trouble, or have cheap owners.  It would not be ideal for teams that are in the luxury, because they would still have to pay the dollar-for-dollar tax on 'Sheed's contract, even if they are not paying him.

Make sense???
Actually - I *think* you are wrong. Based on Coon's FAQ - it says nothing about cap relief only being for the signing team. In the event the team gets cap relief for an injury it can only be for the team he was on when he got injured.

In terms of saying his salary for 2012 would come off, it's true he has a player option, but its still on your cap until he doesn't pick it up, so saying his retirement would clear two years of salary isn't that wrong.

Most likely the C's would send some cash and the receiving team would buy Wallace out - if the C's bring back an ~8 million dollar player (which is about the most Sheed can be traded for) there is significant savings for the acquiring team.

« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2010, 09:39:19 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Wow! Like someone else mentioned, if Ainge could acquire Dampier, Brad Miller, Josh Childress and JJ Reddick it would be a more successful offseason than anyone could've imagined (minus signing a max guy of course.)

« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2010, 09:42:14 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
So, in reading many topics, I find that we could get JJ Reddick, Josh Childress, Brad Miller, plus resign PP and Ray Allen.  Hmmm, sign me up!

Well said! If Danny could acquire all those guys mentioned and Dampier, this would be an AWESOME offseason and banner 18 would be a REAL possibility.

« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2010, 09:54:43 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I love the Reddick idea too.  Since he is a RFA I wonder at what price the Magic would match.   If we offered the full MLE is that too much for him and would the Magic match that?   If they did and we wasted time going after him we might miss out on other players. 

Magic will NEVER let an Eastern Conference rival take a RFA from them. They have DEEP pockets and have shown (see Gortat, Bass, Pietrus, VC) they will overpay for what they view as a need.

That being said, I'd like Reddick and hope Danny can work some magic on the Magic.

« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2010, 10:29:38 AM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I think he'll get someone to bite on it! My Beasley dream is alive again...

I'm excited, lol.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2010, 10:39:57 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
My dream is Sheed and Tony (or Nate) for Chandler.  Then sign Childress, and this team is again among the top contenders.

« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2010, 10:56:02 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
My dream is Sheed and Tony (or Nate) for Chandler.  Then sign Childress, and this team is again among the top contenders.

yeah, Chandler is at the top of my list too. Rondo would love throwing him those back door slams and if he could pick up our defensive rotation system, he could get a ton of blocks...and my sense is that he is a better help defender than on-man defender...

on another note, I saw someone mention that Sheed might change his mind with Doc coming back. I think I might be in the minority here, but I'd actually be happy to see Sheed back. He's a better option to me than many of the names we see popping up in rumors.