Author Topic: Would you consider Rudy Gay instead of PP?  (Read 4177 times)

Would you consider Rudy Gay instead of PP?
« on: June 30, 2010, 04:37:52 PM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
Not that this will ever happen, but if this whole negiotating process with Paul drags out, could you see Danny substituing Paul with a player like Rudy Gay, who is about 10 years younger, a little more versatile and lengthy than Paul. Paul's a little more slower but a better assist man, but Rudy's quicker, and rebounds at a better pace than Paul. Would you do it?

Re: Would you consider Rudy Gay instead of PP?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 04:47:51 PM »

Offline Rashi

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59
The Grizzlies have extended the qualifying offer to Rudy Gay, making him a restricted free agent.

If Gay does not sign a contract, he will receive a $4,422,784 contract with the Grizzlies. He also would be able to veto any trade the Grizzlies agreed upon involving him.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/67631/20100630/grizzlies_extend_qualifying_offer_to_rudy_gay/#ixzz0sN5LpeLc

Ok let me get this straigh. Grizz are offering Rudy Gay about 4.5 mil? So can't we make a go at him w/out trading Pierce?

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 04:50:09 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
The Grizzlies have extended the qualifying offer to Rudy Gay, making him a restricted free agent.

If Gay does not sign a contract, he will receive a $4,422,784 contract with the Grizzlies. He also would be able to veto any trade the Grizzlies agreed upon involving him.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/67631/20100630/grizzlies_extend_qualifying_offer_to_rudy_gay/#ixzz0sN5LpeLc

Ok let me get this straigh. Grizz are offering Rudy Gay about 4.5 mil? So can't we make a go at him w/out trading Pierce?
That's their qualifying offer. We could offer him the 6.5 MLE and then they would immediately match it.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 04:51:14 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

That is the qualifying offer. It is just a set contract based on where they were drafted, and it is basically just there to make them a restricted free agent.  The price for Gay is going to be significantly higher than that.

As for the original question, I would take Gay over Pierce in a vaccuum, but since it would also mean we would be giving up Ray, and everyone else not under contract, as well as the MLE, no, I would not do it.

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 05:00:03 PM »

Offline Rashi

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59
Oh wow, while reading it I completely missed out on the 'qaulifying offer' part. Talk about making a fool outta myself thinking that he's worth 4.5 mil.

Thanks guys for pointing it out.

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 05:02:46 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
He is just a long shot right now. 

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 05:04:51 PM »

Offline Jack_Frost

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 52
Rudy Gay for PP is my dream

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 05:04:57 PM »

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 45
I was just suggesting that if Pierce goes to play for more money, then we should def go for Rudy Gay. It would likely be the beginnings of a complete blow-up.....if it happens I'm sure Ray would be gone, and it then suggests strong consideration to moving KG as well. I think it is a wise move considering the price we have Rondo at....we would have so much more flexibility.

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 05:23:53 PM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
I was just suggesting that if Pierce goes to play for more money, then we should def go for Rudy Gay. It would likely be the beginnings of a complete blow-up.....if it happens I'm sure Ray would be gone, and it then suggests strong consideration to moving KG as well. I think it is a wise move considering the price we have Rondo at....we would have so much more flexibility.

NO....originally, I stated that it would be up to Danny to sign Rudy instead of Pierce, and bring back Ray. How do you guys think that scenario will work?

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 05:27:55 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Rudy Gay for PP is my dream

I like your dream.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 05:32:20 PM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
Age!!!!
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2010, 05:35:14 PM »

Offline K.J.

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
Would you do it?
Of course, in a heartbeat, as it would facilitate the transition from the Garnett to Rondo era.

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2010, 06:01:18 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584

That is the qualifying offer. It is just a set contract based on where they were drafted, and it is basically just there to make them a restricted free agent.  The price for Gay is going to be significantly higher than that.

As for the original question, I would take Gay over Pierce in a vaccuum, but since it would also mean we would be giving up Ray, and everyone else not under contract, as well as the MLE, no, I would not do it.
Why would it mean we would give up Ray?  If we don't give up Ray, I would do it...it would probably upset team chemistry and the fans, though.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2010, 06:41:19 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Why would it mean we would give up Ray?  If we don't give up Ray, I would do it...it would probably upset team chemistry and the fans, though.

In order to have cap space to sign him, we would need to renounce all of our free agents, including Ray and Pierce.

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2010, 09:42:10 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...
yes, it's a no brainer, IMO.