Author Topic: Celtics (22-8) at Hornets (13-22) Game #31 12/31/19  (Read 25855 times)

Re: Celtics (22-8) at Hornets (13-22) Game #31 12/31/19
« Reply #225 on: January 01, 2020, 06:29:11 PM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
On the whole, men are better refs than women. I find it idiotic , and typical of that serpent-head Silver, that he has demanded quotas for female officials and coaches.

Sexist statement

That's sexist.
And what if it is? It's still a legitimate opinion that can be backed by facts.
No it can't. This is a sexist statement.

What you said is the equivalent of saying "Our best played game came from a white guy. Nicely done!" That is a racist statement. Again, what would that player being white have to do with anything?
How is the statement about the white guy racist? It's literally just an observation and conveying facts
Because the statement expresses surprise that the best guy to play was white which assumes being white makes you less good at basketball than another type of person. That is racist.
I wasnt talking about that exact statement, just in general. If an opinion is backed with facts, being sexist does not make it invalid in any way.
Regarding the race argument - you were the one jumping to such a conclusion, a simple statement CAN be just that. IMO that is the problem nowadays, people try as hard as hard they can to find an underlying message or context to everyday statements and things. I can remember some people trying to mark milk as a white nationalist hate symbol, because African Americans have a higher rate of lactose intolerance than caucasians. So you will excuse my lack of caring for these ''racist" and "sexist" statements.

« Reply #226 on: January 01, 2020, 06:31:35 PM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Our best reffed game all year comes from a woman ref. Nicely done.
Yikes...this is terrible.

What does her being female have to do with being a good or bad ref? I can list a plethora of absolutely awful referees, all male. Being guys has nothing to do with their ability to be a good or bad ref.

Nice job extrapolating there pal  ::)
I am not extrapolating anything. When you say the best reffed game comes from a woman you are inferring that women refs are somehow inferior to men refs. The statement reads like you are surprised a woman could ref the best officiated game of the year. No extrapolating necessary.

The statement is very sexist. I will assume you didn't mean it that way. I will assume you saw her ref before and she sucked and that you noticed she was much better today but just wrote that observation very poorly.

There is just no reason whatsoever to bring the referees sex into the equation. When you do you are making a statement about her sex affecting her ability to be a referee.

What you said is the equivalent of saying "Our best played game came from a white guy. Nicely done!" That is a racist statement. Again, what would that player being white have to do with anything?

Can you now see how what you wrote can be interpreted differently than how you may have meant it? Especially by a woman, who we do have a bunch of that post on this site?
Isn't it sad that we've come so far that even mentioning race/gender makes the statement racist/sexist. How is the statement about the white guy racist? It's literally just an observation and conveying facts

Read about interpellation, new materialism, and how ideology is formed to understand why “we’ve come so freakin far from your guud ole world.”

It’s okay to not understand why you’re wrong here, it’s forgivable, to a point. But know that you are wrong.
I know about this stuff. Our opinions simply differ, period.
not that this isn't fascinating for people who want to read about the game but I think we might be venturing just a bit off topic.

« Reply #227 on: January 05, 2020, 05:53:38 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730
On the whole, men are better refs than women. I find it idiotic , and typical of that serpent-head Silver, that he has demanded quotas for female officials and coaches.

Sexist statement

It is pathetic to see the extent to which American society has become so afraid of their own shadow that they won't even state the obvious because someone might tag them with a label. And then to twist the comment about a lady official having a good game into some racial gobbledy-gook really takes the cake.

Oh yes, Nick, in case you haven't noticed, across the entire population, it is pretty safe to say that blacks are superior basketball players to whites.

We are all equal in God's eyes. It is not sexist or racist to state a fact about some group having superior abilities in a specific area than others.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 06:02:28 AM by tenn_smoothie »
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #228 on: January 05, 2020, 06:11:36 AM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown

Sexist statement

It is pathetic to see the extent to which American society has become so afraid of their own shadow that they won't even state the obvious because someone might tag them with a label. And then to twist the comment about a lady official having a good game into some racial gobbledy-gook really takes the cake.

Oh yes, Nick, in case you haven't noticed, across the entire population, it is pretty safe to say that blacks are superior basketball players to whites.

We are all equal in God's eyes. It is not sexist or racist to state a fact about some group having superior abilities in a specific area than others.
TP, my good sir.
Also, off topic, but still. On this occasion I would like to apologize to you, even though I've never voiced my thoughts, you were right about Kyrie in every aspect. I disagreed with you and thought you were just a hater, but now I've seen Kyrie's true face. I was lookingfor excuses on his behalf, but I was wrong.

« Reply #229 on: January 05, 2020, 03:24:08 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Actually stating that any race is better at something than another or that a person of a certain sex is better at something simply because they are that that person is of that race or sex is racism and sexism.

We should strive to be better than making such statements because such statements marginalizes and divides us all and here, on CelticsStrong we want all people to feel included. Such statements do not belong on this blog.

« Reply #230 on: January 05, 2020, 04:35:08 PM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
Actually stating that any race is better at something than another or that a person of a certain sex is better at something simply because they are that that person is of that race or sex is racism and sexism.

We should strive to be better than making such statements because such statements marginalizes and divides us all and here, on CelticsStrong we want all people to feel included. Such statements do not belong on this blog.
But some of these statements are simply observable facts, it's not meant to be divisive or marginalizing (whatever that means). If I say black people are generally better than white people at basketball, that is a fact, since the vast majority of NBA players are, in fact, black. It's like saying tomatoes are red.

« Reply #231 on: January 05, 2020, 04:46:37 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

But some of these statements are simply observable facts, it's not meant to be divisive or marginalizing (whatever that means). If I say black people are generally better than white people at basketball, that is a fact, since the vast majority of NBA players are, in fact, black. It's like saying tomatoes are red.
Only when they are ripe.  Don't be fruitist against the pale colored tomatoes ;)

« Reply #232 on: January 05, 2020, 05:10:56 PM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown

Only when they are ripe.  Don't be fruitist against the pale colored tomatoes ;)
Hehe, have my TP

« Reply #233 on: January 05, 2020, 06:06:36 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Discussions about race, gender and predispositions to being good at something relating to those certainly do not belong in a game thread, and some of the posts in this thread don’t really belong on the forum at all. Cool it.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #234 on: January 05, 2020, 09:34:45 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
Oops - sorry. Made a post re: stereotypes before seeing the warning above. Deleted.