Author Topic: Celtics (17-7) at Mavericks (18-8) Game #25 12/18/19  (Read 26249 times)

Re: Celtics (17-7) at Mavericks (18-8) Game #25 12/18/19
« Reply #240 on: December 19, 2019, 08:44:34 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
And I don't know how Dwight Powell floundered when he was briefly here in Boston, because he's turned into a good player in Dallas.
Three things.

A. Its been 5 years and he's been given minutes on a mostly non-playoff team so he's had the opportunity to get better under a good coach.

B. The NBA has gotten smaller, this allows him to play at C where he can use his quickness most effectively.

C. He was in Boston for a very short time as a rookie, rookies usually suck no matter what the end up being.
There's also the extra tidbit that he showed flashes of potential as a rookie for Boston.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #241 on: December 19, 2019, 09:22:16 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
And I don't know how Dwight Powell floundered when he was briefly here in Boston, because he's turned into a good player in Dallas.
Three things.

A. Its been 5 years and he's been given minutes on a mostly non-playoff team so he's had the opportunity to get better under a good coach.

B. The NBA has gotten smaller, this allows him to play at C where he can use his quickness most effectively.

C. He was in Boston for a very short time as a rookie, rookies usually suck no matter what the end up being.
There's also the extra tidbit that he showed flashes of potential as a rookie for Boston.

I think it's fair to wonder why a player like him has flourished under Carlisle but didn't under Stevens.

« Reply #242 on: December 19, 2019, 09:28:09 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Three things.

I think it's fair to wonder why a player like him has flourished under Carlisle but didn't under Stevens.
I wasn't a super avid Celtics fan back then (I certainly couldn't watch most games like I do now), but I do remember Powell putting in some solid games for us when given the opportunity, I really liked his speed and motor. Was always baffled as to why we didn't re-sign him, I thought Dallas had a decent role player in the making when they snapped him up in free agency.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #243 on: December 19, 2019, 09:35:08 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
What? He was traded two months into the season of his rookie year, he was up and down in the G-League and had 4 big men who were competing with him. (Bass, Olynyk, Zeller, Sullinger)

He got a total of 9 minutes in Boston and only 290 total in Dallas his rookie year.

I get it you don't like Stevens but at least know what you're talking about before you fire shots. Yikes!

« Reply #244 on: December 19, 2019, 09:36:52 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Three things.

I wasn't a super avid Celtics fan back then (I certainly couldn't watch most games like I do now), but I do remember Powell putting in some solid games for us when given the opportunity, I really liked his speed and motor. Was always baffled as to why we didn't re-sign him, I thought Dallas had a decent role player in the making when they snapped him up in free agency.
What are you talking about? We traded for him as a rookie and then he was part of the Rondo trade that happened December 18th that season!

Do you really remember the 8 minutes he was on the court with the C's, or are you just creating a memory?

« Reply #245 on: December 19, 2019, 09:49:02 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Three things.

What are you talking about? We traded for him as a rookie and then he was part of the Rondo trade that happened December 18th that season!

Do you really remember the 8 minutes he was on the court with the C's, or are you just creating a memory?
Oh yeah my bad, again I wasn't super tuned in back then. Btw I checked his rookie season and it was his G-League performances, he had some big games (although to be fair everyone had great games back then in the G-League) that probably made me create this memory lol.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #246 on: December 19, 2019, 09:49:22 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Three things.

I remember Cuban saying: "when it is all said and done Powell will be a better player than Crowder." They really liked him in that trade

« Reply #247 on: December 19, 2019, 09:59:53 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
What? He was traded two months into the season of his rookie year, he was up and down in the G-League and had 4 big men who were competing with him. (Bass, Olynyk, Zeller, Sullinger)

He got a total of 9 minutes in Boston and only 290 total in Dallas his rookie year.

I get it you don't like Stevens but at least know what you're talking about before you fire shots. Yikes!

If anybody wonders about Powell's success, do they also wonder why Crowder was stuck on the bench in Dallas but flourished here?  Or how Evan Turner went from unwanted before Boston to $18m per year afterwards?  Or the Bradley/Morris trade, where everyone thought the C's gave up the best player, but it turned out whoever was playing in Boston looked like the best player?  Or Sullinger who went solid starter to out of the league.  Or how undrafted 25 and 29 year old rookies (Theis and Wanamaker) prove to be solid NBA players?  Player of the Week Jordan Crawford?  Isaiah???

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #248 on: December 19, 2019, 10:01:11 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I remember Cuban saying: "when it is all said and done Powell will be a better player than Crowder." They really liked him in that trade
He did that after Rondo flamed out there and got benched in the playoffs.  ;)

He was a pretty solid role player in his second year. Crowder was a really good role player right away for the Celtics. I am just floored by people just making up memories about Powell and how he didn't "develop" under Stevens.

« Reply #249 on: December 19, 2019, 10:05:43 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

If anybody wonders about Powell's success, do they also wonder why Crowder was stuck on the bench in Dallas but flourished here?  Or how Evan Turner went from unwanted before Boston to $18m per year afterwards?  Or the Bradley/Morris trade, where everyone thought the C's gave up the best player, but it turned out whoever was playing in Boston looked like the best player?  Or Sullinger who went solid starter to out of the league.  Or how undrafted 25 and 29 year old rookies (Theis and Wanamaker) prove to be solid NBA players?  Player of the Week Jordan Crawford?  Isaiah???
TP.

« Reply #250 on: December 19, 2019, 11:07:13 AM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91

TP. They say humans only remember positives in the long term and it is part of our ability to survive. Unfortunately, that theory clearly does not hold for Boston Celtics player development.

« Reply #251 on: December 19, 2019, 11:26:19 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Nailed it!

« Reply #252 on: December 20, 2019, 05:06:41 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
Three things.

thank you fafnir.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #253 on: December 21, 2019, 12:05:57 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Good solid win against a good team.

good team?

without Doncic they are just ok

I will take the win but this should have been a layup for the Celts (and it was)
They just beat the Bucks without Doncic....

Mavs are a good team.

They just beat The Sixers without Doncic.

« Reply #254 on: December 22, 2019, 11:29:40 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Good solid win against a good team.

good team?

without Doncic they are just ok

I will take the win but this should have been a layup for the Celts (and it was)
They just beat the Bucks without Doncic....

Mavs are a good team.

They just beat The Sixers without Doncic.

I'm impressed with Porzingis, special player. Once him and Luka kinda get their rhythm together, Dallas is going to give the West fits.