Poll

If Celtics landed the #1 NBA drat pick, would you trade it for DeMarcus Cousins?

Yes, even though Okafor could be chosen instead
63 (51.2%)
No, I'd rather gamble on Okafor (or other draft pick) rather than trade for Cousins
60 (48.8%)

Total Members Voted: 121

Author Topic: If Celtics landed the 2015 #1 draft pick, would u trade it for DeMarcus Cousins?  (Read 64477 times)

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Honestly, Cousins is a phenomenal player, but he has become quite overrated. Concerningly low FG% for a big man, and he's not quite a rim protector. With the #1 pick I'd rather gamble on Okafor.
I agree. 46 percent for a big who doesn't shoot threes is not good.

Another point that nobody is mentioning is we would only have Cousins for two years. If we landed the number one pick, we would have him for at least 7 years.

Cousins is signed through 2018, with no player option/ETO.  C's would have three seasons of an All-Star big, and more if they re-signed him (which would be the intent presuming it worked out).  His final two years will be a bargain given the salary cap increase as well.  The contract is not worth being concerned about.

He's 24, and a dominant player.  His best years are ahead of him.  He would be franchise-altering if acquired.
Has he been franchise altering in Sacramento?

What makes you so certain he would be here? Also, the length of his contract is a big deal. If this dude Cousins left after 3 years while the number one pick went on to be an all star, people would want to walk Ainge out of town.

+1

+1? lol see sac without cousins, and tell me how is that not altering a franchise.  ::) you're way too funny

Offline Depalma2002

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17

bottom line is Kings are not a good team with cousin being the man. They will attract no key FAs either. Thats how much key FAs want to play with Cousins

Can you back up that statement?

I know it's hard to prove a negative, but has anyone said they wouldn't sign with a team that Cousins plays for because they didn't want to play with him?

I know Rondo reportedly told the Kings that he wouldn't resign if traded there, but I heard no mention that Cousins entered into his thought process in any way, shape or form.

Did they not just sign their starting PG in free agency? I know, you will say that Collison is not a "key" free agent but when you say that you lose part of your argument that Cousins has a good supporting cast and should be making the Kings better argument.

Rudy Gay, a guy who has been playing side by side with Cousins, was in his walk year. He could have gone to free agency this offseason and left. However, he not only passed on the opportunity to get as far away from Boogie as possible, but took a large pay cut in an extension to stay.

This doesn't prove my case, that he wouldn't be a deterrent to at least some free agents, but it does definitely shows that at least some free agents/potential free agents including a quality player like Gay are willing to sign.

The key factors in free agency are money, winning, and market. Cousins can only affect one of those (winning) and his on/off court shows he is doing everything he can towards that. The rest of it is beyond his control.

I'm sorry for referring to you as a troll earlier. I was wrong and mistaken. You just have strong opinions, but dude you need to separate opinion from fact. You are stating things as fact that are either unproven or been proven to be opposite of your viewpoint.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 06:29:53 AM by Depalma2002 »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I know Rondo reportedly told the Kings that he wouldn't resign if traded there, but I heard no mention that Cousins entered into his thought process in any way, shape or form.

In fact, it sounds like Rondo has quite a bit of respect for DMC:

I don't know what the definition of All-Star is if he doesn't make it. I mean he should be if not the first guy selected by the coaches if he doesn't get in by the fans," Rondo told Sactown Royalty. "They've [the Kings] got the best young player in the game, DeMarcus, he's a beast and he hasn't even reached his potential yet ... he's going to be dominating this game for a long time to come ... He hasn't had any attitude issues this year and he's maturing as a player. He has a lot of pressure on his shoulders, but I think he's handled it as best as possible."

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

+1

Just an fyi, from the posting rules:

No useless posts or comments, i.e., one liners/thread bumping, drive-bys, quotations of others without commentary, "+1" or especially "-1" without commentary, etc., etc.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

+1

No useless posts or comments, i.e., one liners/thread bumping, drive-bys, quotations of others without commentary, "+1" or especially "-1" without commentary, etc., etc.

Geez relax

I agreed with the previous commentators points and had nothing else to add.

I will add a comment next time then. However you should be fair and reply the same policy/rules to eveyone else that just replied/replies +1, TP. Ok?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 10:03:22 AM by triboy16f »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215

+1

Why not private message him instead of calling him out on here? I mean that is if you really wanted to help him. Otherwise, it just seems like you are baiting him which is also against forum rules.

I think it's a bit pathetic that triboy has been called a troll and now is being called out for an honest mistake. I'm sure if he knew, he would never post a one liner again.

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Triboy, keep fighting the good fight!

We know you're not a rule breaking troll

TP for putting up with it
I trust Danny Ainge

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215

In fact, it sounds like Rondo has quite a bit of respect for DMC:

I don't know what the definition of All-Star is if he doesn't make it. I mean he should be if not the first guy selected by the coaches if he doesn't get in by the fans," Rondo told Sactown Royalty. "They've [the Kings] got the best young player in the game, DeMarcus, he's a beast and he hasn't even reached his potential yet ... he's going to be dominating this game for a long time to come ... He hasn't had any attitude issues this year and he's maturing as a player. He has a lot of pressure on his shoulders, but I think he's handled it as best as possible."
We will find out. Maybe sooner rather then later, depending on if Karl becomes the coach. I wouldn't be surprised to see some kind of turn around. I'm just skeptical as Cousins hasn't shown he can lead a team yet.

And

I'm in no way denying how good Cousins is. I just don't see him as a top 15 player which it seems everyone is proclaiming him. Not saying you see him ranked this high, but I wouldn't trade a number 1 pick unless I was getting a top 10 player.

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Since the Celtics will likely be picking around 15, this thread can probably be killed --  ;D

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Since the Celtics will likely be picking around 15, this thread can probably be killed --  ;D