Author Topic: The education of Brandon Jennings  (Read 5650 times)

The education of Brandon Jennings
« on: September 25, 2008, 08:42:39 AM »

Offline thebirdman

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 31
“I know this is a real big thing. I’m the first high school kid to jump straight to Europe instead of college and I know a lot of people, a lot of kids, are keeping up with me to see how I’m doing. If I do what I’m supposed to do here, and come back (to the U.S.) better for it, I have a chance to change basketball.”

Link: http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Aqjqm3AO.AcJpjtEGBjYR7y8vLYF?slug=aw-jennings092408&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Interesting article about Jennings. I will definitely try and catch some of Roma`s games this season to see how he is doing...

Re: The education of Brandon Jennings
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 08:52:31 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
I didn't even think of this... Recruiting American talent under the legal NBA age limit will be another niche for Europe. Crap! Stern get a clue!

I think the age limit in the NBA is a joke that ignores the real problem at hand:

It's time for the NBA to develop a real minor league system that allows every big league team a legit farm team and expand the draft to 3 rounds...

Personally, I would follow the Celtics minor league team(and being a Lowell resident I would root for us to get it :P).
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 11:02:53 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
Wow, this thread got 0 love.

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 11:07:48 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I didn't even think of this... Recruiting American talent under the legal NBA age limit will be another niche for Europe. Crap! Stern get a clue!

I think the age limit in the NBA is a joke that ignores the real problem at hand:

It's time for the NBA to develop a real minor league system that allows every big league team a legit farm team and expand the draft to 3 rounds...

Personally, I would follow the Celtics minor league team(and being a Lowell resident I would root for us to get it :P).

Although I agree about the minor league system (and I am pretty sure Stern would agree with you as well), I don't think Stern is worried about young guys going to Europe for a year or two.  He sees it as just another minor league for kids to develop in (just like college), while the owners don't have to pay their salaries.

All this hurts is college basketball, and Stern couldn't care less about that, he is just concerned with having players come into the league, and be able to make bigger impacts sooner.  Over the last few years, there have been way too many underdeveloped players taking up roster space, and taking home large paychecks, instead of developing on someone elses dime in college, or over seas.

This is actually a great thing for the NBA, because it allows some of these young players to learn to play against other professionals.  Don't kid yourself, 99% of these uber-talented stars will not stay in Europe, unless they don't have a choice.  They grew up wanting to play in the NBA, and they will come back as soon as they can.  But the age limit helps to make many of them more prepared to help their teams immediately when they are drafted.

I know this will hurt a little bit in that we would miss an extra year or two of the very rare players like Lebron who ARE ready to play in the NBA at 18.  But on the whole, it should ultimately increase the quality of play in the NBA, because it will minimize the number of roster spots that are taken up by young guys who didn't have enough time to develop before declaring, but were still drafted high.

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 11:37:37 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Has Jennings played any games yet?

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 11:53:15 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
CHris, I responded to you here: http://www.celticsblog.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=64&topic=22645.msg362847#msg362847

I didn't want to hi-jack this thread with a different topic.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 12:01:49 PM by Jsaad »

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2008, 12:04:31 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Has Jennings played any games yet?

Yeps, some friendlies. Mixed reviews so far.

Last one:
Virtus Roma 104 - Hemofarm Vrsac 103
(Gigli 6, Becirovic 17/6, Ray 15, Giachetti 4, Jennings 23, Tonolli 0, Gabini 3, De La Fuente 13, Hutson 4, Brezec 19)

(they beat Red Star tonight but I don't have the box-score)

Here, it isn’t like what basketball was in the U.S., where everyone just sits back and watches the individual player. It’s team first here. People come to watch the team play, and the team win.

Well, he seems a quick study.

Jennings is in a good environment to do well if he has a head on the top of his shoulders.

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2008, 07:58:47 AM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
Rooting for him for the haircut alone. I will call him "Brandonique"