Author Topic: Dream Team vs. Redeem Team  (Read 19483 times)

Dream Team vs. Redeem Team
« on: August 21, 2008, 11:47:36 AM »

Online CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
This topic may have been discussed on the board before, but I was watching Mike and Mike this morning, and Eric Kuselias (sp?) was sitting in for Greenberg, and him and Golic were discussing who would win in a 7 game series, the Dream Team vs. the Redeem Team.  After much discussion, Golic reluctanly picked the Dream Team, while Kuselias was pretty adamant about thinking the Redeem Team would win.  Some of his reasonings were that Bird and Magic were way past their primes, that no one on the Dream Team would be able to guard Chris Paul or Deron Williams at the point, that Kobe Bryant would be the best defender Michael Jordan has ever seen, and that Coach K would be able to make better adjustments than Chuck Daley.

I'd like to know everyone's take on the subject.  I, for one, think it would definitely be the Dream Team winning that series.  In terms of Kuselias' reasonings, while Bird had the back problems and ended up retiring after the '02 season, he still put up 20-10 numbers that year and could still hit a shot from anywhere on the court.  With Magic, he wasn't even far past his prime.  If not for being diagnosed with HIV, he would've still been in the league, and putting up 20 ppg and 10 apg.  And while it would be tough for Magic to guard Paul or Williams, the same would be true on the other end.  Also, I didn't watch the game that closely in the 80's or early 90's, but I find it very hard to believe that Kobe Bryant would've been the best defender MJ had ever faced, and I doubt he would be able to stop Jordan, or even slow him down any better than guys like Dumars had done in the past.

Looking at the Dream Team advantages, aside from having the best player in the history of the game in his prime, they had two legit HOF centers on their team, also in their prime, in Patrick Ewing and David Robinson.  Dwight Howard is a great young player who is only going to get better, but he's not a true center and he still has a ways to go on the offensive end; and whoever the team decided to put on Barkley would have their hands full all game.  The Redeem Team also just doesn't have the outside shooting ability that the Dream Team had.  They have gotten better over the past couple games, but not on the same level as the Dream Team.

If I had to pick, I would take the Drem Team in 5.  The trio of LeBron, Kobe and D-Wade would have to lead them to a win, but I wouldn't see much more.

Re: Dream Team vs. Redeem Team
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 11:53:05 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Dream team. 

Way to much size between Ewing, Robinson, Malone, Barkley and even Laetner (not a great player, but an above average big man)

At PG, they had Stockton as well as Magic. 

They had better shooters.

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 11:56:37 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Not to mention the differences in perimeter defense.  If they play by the rules the Dream team played under, Kobe, James, Paul... are not as used to playing with the hand checking.

If they play by the rule the Redeem team plays, no one could stop Jordon when they could hand check, now he has a free pass. 

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 11:57:26 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I think the Dream Team kills them.

C: Ewing / Robinson
PF: Barkley / Malone / Laettner
SF: Pippen / Mullin / Bird
SG: Jordan / Drexler
PG: Magic / Stockton

For comparison's sake:

C: Howard / ?
PF: Bosh / Boozer
SF: Lebron / Carmelo / Prince
SG: Kobe / Wade / Redd
PG: CP3 / Deron / Kidd

Larry was definitely in tough shape, but Pippen and Mullin were no slouches; if any player has the physical tools to defend Lebron, it's Scottie Pippen.  John Stockton was an excellent defender, and Magic could just post Chris Paul up every time down the court.  The Dream Team's big men would be absolutely dominant against the 2008 version, which has Howard and... nobody else even comparable.  And then, of course, there's Jordan.

I think the Dream Team wins in a sweep, and wins every game by 10+.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 12:02:44 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
This topic may have been discussed on the board before, but I was watching Mike and Mike this morning, and Eric Kuselias (sp?) was sitting in for Greenberg, and him and Golic were discussing who would win in a 7 game series, the Dream Team vs. the Redeem Team.  After much discussion, Golic reluctanly picked the Dream Team, while Kuselias was pretty adamant about thinking the Redeem Team would win.  Some of his reasonings were that Bird and Magic were way past their primes, that no one on the Dream Team would be able to guard Chris Paul or Deron Williams at the point, that Kobe Bryant would be the best defender Michael Jordan has ever seen, and that Coach K would be able to make better adjustments than Chuck Daley.

The guy who couldn't stop Pierce or Allen is going to stop Jordan? Not on this planet.

And Chuck Daley would be as likely to get outcoached by Pitino as by coach K.

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 12:05:16 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I'd take the `92 team on bravado alone.

The Jordan vs Kobe matchup in theior primes would be fun to watch.  Stockton vs Paul! 

I think another key element would be how much training the teams had as a unit prior to a 7 game series.

Bird would be battling it with Laettner for 12th man.  Larry was seriosuly hurtin' at that point and in a truly competitive situation with a real rotation he would have had to take a back seat.
Yup

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 12:07:26 PM »

Offline blake

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
MJ
Magic Johnson
Larry Bird
Charles Barkley
David Robinson
Patrick Ewing
Karl Malone
Scottie Pippen
Chris Mullin
Clyde Drexler
John Stockton
Christian Laettner

I would say it depends.  If the dream team could turn it into a half court game, they would dominate.  If Coach K could have his way and the team could continue to run like they are, the new team would win.  I can't imagine those guys in their old age keeping up with cp3/dwill/lebron/wade/superman.

So the question becomes, can the dream team stop the running game?  Maybe not, but probably so.  The problem with current teams playing against us is that they can keep us in a half court game for about a quarter and a half.  After that we sub so much that we can keep fresh and run all over them.  I think the old dream team is deep enough to be able the depth.

If the combined scores > 170 then new team.
If the combined scores < 170 then the old team.

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 12:10:58 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
If Coach K could have his way and the team could continue to run like they are, the new team would win.  I can't imagine those guys in their old age keeping up with cp3/dwill/lebron/wade/superman.

I think you're seriously underestimating the athleticism of the guys on the Dream Team, even in their "old age".  The guys on that squad could keep up athletically in any era.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 12:15:37 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
If Coach K could have his way and the team could continue to run like they are, the new team would win.  I can't imagine those guys in their old age keeping up with cp3/dwill/lebron/wade/superman.

I think you're seriously underestimating the athleticism of the guys on the Dream Team, even in their "old age".  The guys on that squad could keep up athletically in any era.

Pippen, Drexler and Jordon would have no problem.  But the rebounding and size of the dream team is going to control the pace.  They will also have Howard in foul trouble real quick. 

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 12:20:23 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
Out of curiosity (and I'll have to think about whether it makes a difference or not), who's rules are we playing with here?  It's worth remembering that these are both teams full of NBA players -- but that they were built for international competition.

NBA or world rules?

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 12:20:42 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 12:35:20 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I have to agree with Roy, I think the "old guys" mop the floor with the ReDeem Team.

The current squad has their strength on the wings and PG positions with Kobe, LeBron, Melo, Paul, and Williams. But here's the problem. Kobe gets guarded by MJ and LeBron gets guarded by Pippen. Well, so much for that advantage. In the meantime the Dream Team would simply pummel the 2008 Olympians underneath.

In a seven game series the pounding that the Dream Team would have physically put on the ReDeem Team would slow them down and without the running game the solo acts would try to take control individually in the half court set and then the Dream Team would roll.

1992 Team 4 games to 1 with possibibly 3 embarassing losses for the 2008 Team.

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 12:46:57 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 572
I think it would be close, but only because everyone on the 92 dream team is 16 years older now.  ;D

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2008, 12:53:32 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
The Dream Team was, and always will be the greatest basketball team ever assembled. They win in 4 blowouts.

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2008, 01:02:44 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
while i always welcome a good debate, there is none here. the dream team is the greatest team ever.