Author Topic: Which actual NBA Teams could win the GOLD MEDAL aside from the Celtics?  (Read 8317 times)

Offline PointGaurd

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 8
I was just reading the "I thought the rest of the world caught up" thread and I came to start thinking.  Which NBA teams do you guys think could actually win a gold Medal,  I know it would get a little tricky with teams like Dallas, because of Nowitzky, and San Antonio w/ Ginobili. But for the most part I think all Playoff teams would be able to do it.  Let the talking begin!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 04:14:15 PM by PointGaurd »

Re: Which actual NBA Teams could win the GOLD MEDAL aside from the Celtics?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 04:05:35 PM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
I don't think any of them could.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 04:09:41 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Spurs, Celtics, and Pistons. That's it.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 05:52:32 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
I'm assuming you mean teams that have only US Players...

The Celtics and Pistons, probably the Cavs after watching Lebron Manimate the rest of the world so far.  Utah I think could even w/o Okur and Kirilenko.

Maybe New Orleans.

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 06:38:49 PM »

Offline iowa plowboy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
If the teams were intact and the playing field was level, any NBA team and probably a handfull of college teams as well.  But with the exception of the college teams the NBA teams couldn't be intact and the officiating is a matter following the money.

Too many things have to be factored in.  The foreign players can't play for both teams.  If you factor in that the olympic officials and the governing body make Tim Donaghy look like Mother Teresa, maybe only a handfull of teams.  The games would have to be so overwhelming that the officials couldn't steal the games.  If you factor that, probably the NBA's top 6-8 teams. 

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 06:43:26 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
I honestly think most.  NBA teams would have even more experience and chemistry than the foreign national teams.  Now, if you're taking Dirk off Dallas, Manu and Parker off SA, etc... then those teams are left with major holes, so no.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 06:45:31 PM »

Offline iowa plowboy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
If the teams were intact and the playing field was level, any NBA team and probably a handfull of college teams as well.  But with the exception of the college teams the NBA teams couldn't be intact.  The olympic  officiating is so morbidly corrupt and a matter following the money. 

Too many things have to be factored in.  The foreign players can't play for both teams.  If you factor in that the olympic officials and the governing body make Tim Donaghy look like Mother Teresa, maybe only a handfull of teams.  The wins would have to be so overwhelming that they couldn't be left in the official's hands.  Factor that, probably the NBA's top 6-8 teams. 

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 07:03:27 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
how bout the celticsblog all-star team vs. the women's team from Mali....
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 10:00:53 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Hornets, Spurs, Celtics, Pistons and raptors...yes raps because of the approach
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 10:15:07 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics

Hornets wouldn't have Peja, that would hurt.  Spurs wouldn't have Manu.  Raptors wouldn't really have anyone besides Bosh.  I think the Celts and Pistons would be the only ones.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 10:16:45 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale

Hornets wouldn't have Peja, that would hurt.  Spurs wouldn't have Manu.  Raptors wouldn't really have anyone besides Bosh.  I think the Celts and Pistons would be the only ones.

youre absolutely right
I was thinking those teams without their provoked loses

Nice to be back!

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 09:50:08 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
It would depend on how tight the fouls were called, and how much time the teams had to practice.

The Celts and Pistons certainly have the talent to do it, but I could also see Spain beating either one.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2008, 06:28:06 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
What a fun topic! Definitely one to devote some time to. I don’t know how this topic got buried after so few posts.  Oh, and I decided to err on the side of “strict” for determining whether someone  is “US” or “International.” So you need to be born in the States to count, Islands don’t count.

Observations:
-I was amazed how frequently I had to write “going small.” Guess a lot of NBA big men come from overseas.
-Yugoslavia has a tremendous amount of NBA players. Seven total.
-I was amazed at just how many teams have an international player on their roster.  Boston is one of only two teams with no international presence.

Final Top Ten for NBA turned Team USA teams:
1.   Boston
2.   Detroit
3.   New Orleans
4.   Lakers
5.   Utah
6.   Washington
7.   Miami
8.   Portland
9.   Philadelphia
10.   Houston
Honorable Mention: Indiana, Denver

Atlanta
Key losses: Zaza Pachulia (Georgia), Al Horford (D.R.)
Losing Zaza hurts a bit, losing Horford would be devastating in combination with Childress and Zaza. They’d probably be forced to go small, with Bibby, Joe Johnson, Mo Evans, Josh Smith, and Marvin Williams. No post presence and undersized. Before losing Childress, and if Horford were USA eligible, actually not a bad Olympic style squad. But with Childress gone and Horford from the Dominican Republic, not so much.

Boston
Key losses: none
We know. NBA champs and lose only Posey. I think with their chemistry and Allen and Pierce’s shooting, with KG’s big man range, they’d be very good in the Olympics

Charlotte
Key losses: Ajinca (France)
They’d be quite intact, but they’re not that good to begin with. Sean May is a huge wild card; if healthy, he helps them a lot. Felton, Richardson, Wallace, May, Okafor would’t be too bad a lineup for Olympic ball. Still gets beaten by elite international teams though.

Chicago
Key losses: Deng (Sudan), Gordon (U.K), Nocioni (Argentina), Sefalosha (Swiss)
Really depleted roster. Not even worth considering.

Cleveland
Key losses: Big Z (Russia), Pavlovic (Yugoslovia), Wally (Spain), Verejao (Brazil)
They’d still have James, but they really lose a lot, especially up front. They only have one PF/C, so they’d probably have to go Williams, Gibson, West, James, Wallace and be woefully undersized and hope they make every 3 pointer.

Dallas
Key losses: Dirk (Germany), Barea (P.R.), Diop (Senegal)
Come on, they lose Dirk and we’ve seen how useless Kidd is in the Olympics. No way.

Denver
Key losses: Nene (Brazil), Kleiza (Russia)
What chance they had left with Camby. A.I., J.R., Carmelo, Kenyon, Camby is not a bad lineup, but now replacing Camby with Andersen is a big drop off. They’d still score a lot, and probably be better than most other all-U.S. teams, but they don’t defend enough and aren’t good enough to win it all.

Detroit
Key losses: Hermann (Argentina), Samb (Senegal)
Nearly 100% intact, and, considering they were a top 5 team last season, remaining intact means they’d field a very good international team. Very good defense and shooting from all positions. Not much more to say, they’d be good.

Golden State
Key losses: Turiaf (France), Belinelli (Italy), Azubuike (UK), Biedrins (Latvia), Perovic (Croatia)
Well, they were a fringe playoff team last season, and lose Baron for Turiaf and Maggette, but Turiaf wouldn’t qualify for this team anyway. They also lose their best interior defender and rebounder in Biedrins. They’d have to go Ellis, Jackson, Maggette, Harrington, Wright and just run run run. However, with the major loss of depth, there’s no way they’d be able to run and score enough to overcome their incredible lack of defense and size.

Houston
Key losses: Ming (China), Scola (Argentina), Mutumbo (Congo)
So they lose their entire front court. They’d also be forced to go very small, with Alston, McGrady, Artest, Battier, and probably Landry at center. They’d be able to score a bit, but they’d give up a ton inside on defense and lack serious size. Not much of a threat.

Indiana
Key losses: Nesterovic (Yugoslovia)
They move up the NBA Olympic power rankings by virtue of remaining mostly intact. Ford, Dunleavy, Granger, Murphy, Foster is their starting lineup with Tinsley, Rush, McRoberts, Hibbert, Jack off the bench, so they’d have some depth and size. Murphy’s a good outside shooter from the 4 spot, and Dunleavy’s made some improvements recently, so I think they’d actually make some noise in the Olympics, especially since they actually have legit size and D in the middle with Foster.

LA Clips
Key losses: Kaman (Germany)
At least they’d have Camby to replace Kaman. Baron, Ricky D or Mobley, Thornton, Tim Thomas and Camby probably start. Gordon, either Ricky or Mobley, Jason Williams and Novak come off the bench. In my opinion, that’s a pretty ugly team. I think they get killed on D and they’re not that good on offense, either.

LA Lakers
Key losses: Pau Gasol (Spain), Vujacic (Yugoslovia), Radmanovic (Yugoslovia)
They’d still be a dangerous team, if Bynum and Mihm are healthy. They could start Fisher, Kobe, Ariza, Odom and Bynum and bring Farmar, Walton, Mihm off the bench. Better, still, than a lot of NBA teams, but they’d miss Gasol’s all-around game and Vlad’s shooting to put htem in an elite group.

Memphis
Key losses: Jaric (Yugoslovia), Darko (Yugoslovia), Marc Gasol (Spain)
I mean, they’re already a terrible team before trading Gasol and losing a couple solid players. Now they’re just awful. I guess they’d start Conley, OJ, Rudy, Antoine, Warrick? Or would they sub in Arthur for Antoine? Or go uber-small but start their best five, with Conley, Lowry, OJ, Rudy, Warrick? No matter what they’ll be awful. They really need to trade a point guard (Big Baby for Lowry! Do it now!)

Miami
Key losses: Diawara (France)
Huge wild card. They weren’t good last year, but there’s a reason: Wade was not himself. So not only is there the Wade question mark, but they’d be starting 2 rookies. Chalmers, Wade, Beasley, Marion, Blount. Chalmers could step in, as his shot and defense should translate to the international court, but he’s a second round draft pick who hasn’t played a minute of NBA time, so who knows. Beasley should be a very good player, and he has the range and versatility to do well in the international forum, especially alongside an athletic defender who can shoot like Marion. Wade is the best player on team USA right now, so that’s a big plus. And Blount. Blount’s pretty bad and unmotivated, but he’s not useless. His shot would be useful to open it up for Wade’s driving. I think they’d do ok, but a lot depends on two rookies.

Milwaukee
Key losses: Mbah a Moute (Cameroon) Bogut (Australia), Gadzuric (Netherlands)
They’re pretty bad anyway, and they’re kind of a roster mess, especially losing their two bigs in Bogut and Gadzuric. This would force them to go very small with Sessions, Bell, Redd, Jefferson and Villanueva. No post presence, pretty bad defense. Not much chance at all.

Minnesota
Key losses: none.
I guess I’d start Foye, Miller, Brewer, Love, Jefferson. I hate trying to project rookies, as there’s a 95% chance they won’t be as good as you think they will be. So I’m guessing that since Foye is overrated, Brewer is just bad, Love’s a rookie and Jefferson can’t exactly anchor a defense, they won’t be that good. Telfair, McCants, Craig Smith and Gomes off the bench doesn’t exactly strike fear into opponents’ hearts. But they’d be intriguing to watch. Lots of interesting pieces, not exactly a scary team though.

New Jersey
Key losses: Yi (China), Najera (Mexico)
They pretty much scrapped their team to land a big free agent in ’10, so the cupboard’s pretty bare. They could go Harris, Carter, Simmons…then what? Stromile and Sean Williams? Boone and Lopez? Until some of those guys round into true NBA starters, no chance.

New Orleans
Key losses: Peja (Yugoslovia)
Losing Peja hurts, but he’s not an all-star. New Orleans could still start Paul, Peterson, Julian Wright, David West and Chandler, with Mike James, Posey, Armstrong, Rasual Butler off the bench.  Considering their success last year, I’d knock them down a bit, but not too far, for swapping Peja for Posey.

New York
Key losses: Gallinari
On the one hand, they only lose Gallinari, who hasn’t set foot in the NBA yet. On the other, they’re terrible with the current roster. I’m guessing they’d still be bad.

Oklahoma City
Key losses: Sene (Senegal), Petro (France)
They lose some size, about 18 minutes of Center time per game. They were awful last year, and though they’d lose Ridnour, Sene and Petro, they get Westbrook and Joe Smith to offset that. So they’d still be terrible. In order to really improve and become a viable Olympic contender, they need a lot of “ifs” to go right. If Westbrook can make the successful transformation from good college shooting guard to starting NBA point guard. If Robert Swift can come back fully healthy and continue to improve at both ends. If Jeff Green and Kevin Durant can improve a lot from their rookie seasons.  Too many ifs to really be scared of right now.

Orlando
Key losses: Adonal Foyle (Grenadines), Turkoglu (Turkey), Gortat (Poland), Pietrus (Guadaloupe)
Good team on the rise, but their roster really becomes depleted internationally speaking. They’d be left with Nelson, Bogans, Lewis, Howard, Battie with a bench of Lee, Redick and Garrity. They could bring Battie off the bench and go small, but anytime that Lee (rookie 2nd rounder), Redick, Garrity, Bogans and Battie are a major part of your rotation, you’re in trouble.

Philadelphia
Key losses: Dalembert (Haiti)
Only one loss, but it’s a big one. This would force them to bump Brand to center and go small, or start Speights.  I’d go small, with Louis Williams, Andre Miller, Iguodala, Thaddeus, Brand. Then Kareem, Speights, Green off the bench. Regardless of what they do, they’d be a fun team to watch, but they really lack the outside shooting for the NBA, let alone international play.

Phoenix
Key losses: Bell (Virgin Islands), Barbosa (Brazil), Nash (South Africa), Diaw (France)
I mean, they almost lose an above average NBA starting lineup. They’re toast.

Portland
Key losses: Batum (France), Fernandez (Spain), Rodriguez (Spain)
They’re a fringe playoff team, all of them young and improving. Of players who actually played for them last season, they only lose Sergio Rodriguez, who’s okay. Then they get to add Oden and experience for each of their youngsters. Maybe not this Olympics, but a few years down the road, watch out.

Sacramento
Key losses: Udrih
Good news: they lose only Udrih. Bad news: they are a terrible team and now they’ve lost Artest. No chance.

San Antonio
Key losses: Duncan (Virgin Islands), Ginobili (Argentina), Parker (Belgium), Mahinmi (France), Oberto (Argentina)
Um…no chance. Look at what they lose! Ouch.

Toronto
Key losses: Calderon (Spain), Bargnani (Italy), Jawai (Australia), Ukic (Croatia)
They lose a lot, probably too much to still be able to compete. They’d have to go with Anthony Parker, Kapono, Moon, Bosh, Humphries. They’d have Adams and Graham off the bench. No real point guard, no depth. I don’t think they’d do well.

Utah
Key losses: Kirilenko (Russia), Fesenko (Ukraine), Okur (Turkey)
Shows how deep Utah is. They lose two starters but they could still start Deron Williams, Brewer, Korver, Milsap, Boozer. Korver can give the shooting, and they have decent defense too. Brevin Knight, Harpring, and Collins fill out the bench. They’d be good.

Washington
Key losses: Songaila (Russia), Pecherov (Ukraine)
Another un-astounding team that moves up because they don’t lose much. They start Arenas, Daniels, Caron, Jamison, Haywood, and bring Dee Brown, Blatche, Stevenson, Nick Young, and Etan Thomas (if he’s healthy again). Not a bad international team; Jamison gives them the frontcourt range that is so valuable.

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2008, 06:34:26 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
What a fun topic! Definitely one to devote some time to. I don’t know how this topic got buried after so few posts.  Oh, and I decided to err on the side of “strict” for determining whether someone  is “US” or “International.” So you need to be born in the States to count, Islands don’t count.

Observations:
-I was amazed how frequently I had to write “going small.” Guess a lot of NBA big men come from overseas.
-Yugoslavia has a tremendous amount of NBA players. Seven total.
-I was amazed at just how many teams have an international player on their roster.  Boston is one of only two teams with no international presence.

Final Top Ten for NBA turned Team USA teams:
1.   Boston
2.   Detroit
3.   New Orleans
4.   Lakers
5.   Utah
6.   Washington
7.   Miami
8.   Portland
9.   Philadelphia
10.   Houston
Honorable Mention: Indiana, Denver

Atlanta
Key losses: Zaza Pachulia (Georgia), Al Horford (D.R.)
Losing Zaza hurts a bit, losing Horford would be devastating in combination with Childress and Zaza. They’d probably be forced to go small, with Bibby, Joe Johnson, Mo Evans, Josh Smith, and Marvin Williams. No post presence and undersized. Before losing Childress, and if Horford were USA eligible, actually not a bad Olympic style squad. But with Childress gone and Horford from the Dominican Republic, not so much.

Boston
Key losses: none
We know. NBA champs and lose only Posey. I think with their chemistry and Allen and Pierce’s shooting, with KG’s big man range, they’d be very good in the Olympics

Charlotte
Key losses: Ajinca (France)
They’d be quite intact, but they’re not that good to begin with. Sean May is a huge wild card; if healthy, he helps them a lot. Felton, Richardson, Wallace, May, Okafor would’t be too bad a lineup for Olympic ball. Still gets beaten by elite international teams though.

Chicago
Key losses: Deng (Sudan), Gordon (U.K), Nocioni (Argentina), Sefalosha (Swiss)
Really depleted roster. Not even worth considering.

Cleveland
Key losses: Big Z (Russia), Pavlovic (Yugoslovia), Wally (Spain), Verejao (Brazil)
They’d still have James, but they really lose a lot, especially up front. They only have one PF/C, so they’d probably have to go Williams, Gibson, West, James, Wallace and be woefully undersized and hope they make every 3 pointer.

Dallas
Key losses: Dirk (Germany), Barea (P.R.), Diop (Senegal)
Come on, they lose Dirk and we’ve seen how useless Kidd is in the Olympics. No way.

Denver
Key losses: Nene (Brazil), Kleiza (Russia)
What chance they had left with Camby. A.I., J.R., Carmelo, Kenyon, Camby is not a bad lineup, but now replacing Camby with Andersen is a big drop off. They’d still score a lot, and probably be better than most other all-U.S. teams, but they don’t defend enough and aren’t good enough to win it all.

Detroit
Key losses: Hermann (Argentina), Samb (Senegal)
Nearly 100% intact, and, considering they were a top 5 team last season, remaining intact means they’d field a very good international team. Very good defense and shooting from all positions. Not much more to say, they’d be good.

Golden State
Key losses: Turiaf (France), Belinelli (Italy), Azubuike (UK), Biedrins (Latvia), Perovic (Croatia)
Well, they were a fringe playoff team last season, and lose Baron for Turiaf and Maggette, but Turiaf wouldn’t qualify for this team anyway. They also lose their best interior defender and rebounder in Biedrins. They’d have to go Ellis, Jackson, Maggette, Harrington, Wright and just run run run. However, with the major loss of depth, there’s no way they’d be able to run and score enough to overcome their incredible lack of defense and size.

Houston
Key losses: Ming (China), Scola (Argentina), Mutumbo (Congo)
So they lose their entire front court. They’d also be forced to go very small, with Alston, McGrady, Artest, Battier, and probably Landry at center. They’d be able to score a bit, but they’d give up a ton inside on defense and lack serious size. Not much of a threat.

Indiana
Key losses: Nesterovic (Yugoslovia)
They move up the NBA Olympic power rankings by virtue of remaining mostly intact. Ford, Dunleavy, Granger, Murphy, Foster is their starting lineup with Tinsley, Rush, McRoberts, Hibbert, Jack off the bench, so they’d have some depth and size. Murphy’s a good outside shooter from the 4 spot, and Dunleavy’s made some improvements recently, so I think they’d actually make some noise in the Olympics, especially since they actually have legit size and D in the middle with Foster.

LA Clips
Key losses: Kaman (Germany)
At least they’d have Camby to replace Kaman. Baron, Ricky D or Mobley, Thornton, Tim Thomas and Camby probably start. Gordon, either Ricky or Mobley, Jason Williams and Novak come off the bench. In my opinion, that’s a pretty ugly team. I think they get killed on D and they’re not that good on offense, either.

LA Lakers
Key losses: Pau Gasol (Spain), Vujacic (Yugoslovia), Radmanovic (Yugoslovia)
They’d still be a dangerous team, if Bynum and Mihm are healthy. They could start Fisher, Kobe, Ariza, Odom and Bynum and bring Farmar, Walton, Mihm off the bench. Better, still, than a lot of NBA teams, but they’d miss Gasol’s all-around game and Vlad’s shooting to put htem in an elite group.

Memphis
Key losses: Jaric (Yugoslovia), Darko (Yugoslovia), Marc Gasol (Spain)
I mean, they’re already a terrible team before trading Gasol and losing a couple solid players. Now they’re just awful. I guess they’d start Conley, OJ, Rudy, Antoine, Warrick? Or would they sub in Arthur for Antoine? Or go uber-small but start their best five, with Conley, Lowry, OJ, Rudy, Warrick? No matter what they’ll be awful. They really need to trade a point guard (Big Baby for Lowry! Do it now!)

Miami
Key losses: Diawara (France)
Huge wild card. They weren’t good last year, but there’s a reason: Wade was not himself. So not only is there the Wade question mark, but they’d be starting 2 rookies. Chalmers, Wade, Beasley, Marion, Blount. Chalmers could step in, as his shot and defense should translate to the international court, but he’s a second round draft pick who hasn’t played a minute of NBA time, so who knows. Beasley should be a very good player, and he has the range and versatility to do well in the international forum, especially alongside an athletic defender who can shoot like Marion. Wade is the best player on team USA right now, so that’s a big plus. And Blount. Blount’s pretty bad and unmotivated, but he’s not useless. His shot would be useful to open it up for Wade’s driving. I think they’d do ok, but a lot depends on two rookies.

Milwaukee
Key losses: Mbah a Moute (Cameroon) Bogut (Australia), Gadzuric (Netherlands)
They’re pretty bad anyway, and they’re kind of a roster mess, especially losing their two bigs in Bogut and Gadzuric. This would force them to go very small with Sessions, Bell, Redd, Jefferson and Villanueva. No post presence, pretty bad defense. Not much chance at all.

Minnesota
Key losses: none.
I guess I’d start Foye, Miller, Brewer, Love, Jefferson. I hate trying to project rookies, as there’s a 95% chance they won’t be as good as you think they will be. So I’m guessing that since Foye is overrated, Brewer is just bad, Love’s a rookie and Jefferson can’t exactly anchor a defense, they won’t be that good. Telfair, McCants, Craig Smith and Gomes off the bench doesn’t exactly strike fear into opponents’ hearts. But they’d be intriguing to watch. Lots of interesting pieces, not exactly a scary team though.

New Jersey
Key losses: Yi (China), Najera (Mexico)
They pretty much scrapped their team to land a big free agent in ’10, so the cupboard’s pretty bare. They could go Harris, Carter, Simmons…then what? Stromile and Sean Williams? Boone and Lopez? Until some of those guys round into true NBA starters, no chance.

New Orleans
Key losses: Peja (Yugoslovia)
Losing Peja hurts, but he’s not an all-star. New Orleans could still start Paul, Peterson, Julian Wright, David West and Chandler, with Mike James, Posey, Armstrong, Rasual Butler off the bench.  Considering their success last year, I’d knock them down a bit, but not too far, for swapping Peja for Posey.

New York
Key losses: Gallinari
On the one hand, they only lose Gallinari, who hasn’t set foot in the NBA yet. On the other, they’re terrible with the current roster. I’m guessing they’d still be bad.

Oklahoma City
Key losses: Sene (Senegal), Petro (France)
They lose some size, about 18 minutes of Center time per game. They were awful last year, and though they’d lose Ridnour, Sene and Petro, they get Westbrook and Joe Smith to offset that. So they’d still be terrible. In order to really improve and become a viable Olympic contender, they need a lot of “ifs” to go right. If Westbrook can make the successful transformation from good college shooting guard to starting NBA point guard. If Robert Swift can come back fully healthy and continue to improve at both ends. If Jeff Green and Kevin Durant can improve a lot from their rookie seasons.  Too many ifs to really be scared of right now.

Orlando
Key losses: Adonal Foyle (Grenadines), Turkoglu (Turkey), Gortat (Poland), Pietrus (Guadaloupe)
Good team on the rise, but their roster really becomes depleted internationally speaking. They’d be left with Nelson, Bogans, Lewis, Howard, Battie with a bench of Lee, Redick and Garrity. They could bring Battie off the bench and go small, but anytime that Lee (rookie 2nd rounder), Redick, Garrity, Bogans and Battie are a major part of your rotation, you’re in trouble.

Philadelphia
Key losses: Dalembert (Haiti)
Only one loss, but it’s a big one. This would force them to bump Brand to center and go small, or start Speights.  I’d go small, with Louis Williams, Andre Miller, Iguodala, Thaddeus, Brand. Then Kareem, Speights, Green off the bench. Regardless of what they do, they’d be a fun team to watch, but they really lack the outside shooting for the NBA, let alone international play.

Phoenix
Key losses: Bell (Virgin Islands), Barbosa (Brazil), Nash (South Africa), Diaw (France)
I mean, they almost lose an above average NBA starting lineup. They’re toast.

Portland
Key losses: Batum (France), Fernandez (Spain), Rodriguez (Spain)
They’re a fringe playoff team, all of them young and improving. Of players who actually played for them last season, they only lose Sergio Rodriguez, who’s okay. Then they get to add Oden and experience for each of their youngsters. Maybe not this Olympics, but a few years down the road, watch out.

Sacramento
Key losses: Udrih
Good news: they lose only Udrih. Bad news: they are a terrible team and now they’ve lost Artest. No chance.

San Antonio
Key losses: Duncan (Virgin Islands), Ginobili (Argentina), Parker (Belgium), Mahinmi (France), Oberto (Argentina)
Um…no chance. Look at what they lose! Ouch.

Toronto
Key losses: Calderon (Spain), Bargnani (Italy), Jawai (Australia), Ukic (Croatia)
They lose a lot, probably too much to still be able to compete. They’d have to go with Anthony Parker, Kapono, Moon, Bosh, Humphries. They’d have Adams and Graham off the bench. No real point guard, no depth. I don’t think they’d do well.

Utah
Key losses: Kirilenko (Russia), Fesenko (Ukraine), Okur (Turkey)
Shows how deep Utah is. They lose two starters but they could still start Deron Williams, Brewer, Korver, Milsap, Boozer. Korver can give the shooting, and they have decent defense too. Brevin Knight, Harpring, and Collins fill out the bench. They’d be good.

Washington
Key losses: Songaila (Russia), Pecherov (Ukraine)
Another un-astounding team that moves up because they don’t lose much. They start Arenas, Daniels, Caron, Jamison, Haywood, and bring Dee Brown, Blatche, Stevenson, Nick Young, and Etan Thomas (if he’s healthy again). Not a bad international team; Jamison gives them the frontcourt range that is so valuable.

2 TPs for the effort of pulling this together
good job.

Nice to be back!

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2008, 06:59:11 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Any of them could.  Even the knicks with D'Antoni.  A few college teams, as well.  If the olympic officials wanted them to, that is.

Teams that are actually used to playing together and used to their coaches would cancel out any difference in talent from the glorified pick up team that is participating right now.