Author Topic: Question for Marvel Comic readers  (Read 3839 times)

Question for Marvel Comic readers
« on: June 16, 2009, 03:28:29 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
So, since i have a ton of downtime due to the economy sitting around the house (read: broke) I was wondering if anyone reads the xmen comics?

I used to, and would like to maybe follow one or two books a month ( i can swing 8 bucks at the local shop heh)

Ive been over to the wiki, so i ahve a basic idea of what books are doing what, and have decided i kind of want to read the following 4.

New mutants
X force
Uncanny x men
Xmen

Now, marvel is nice enough to have some these books old issues online, and I was wondering whats a good ballpark to start each to catch up?

I know from the wiki that new mutants and X-force are short runs at the moment, more asking about the two main books.

Whats a good ball park jumping in point for each? #500 for uncanny? 525? that kind of thing

Thanks in advance!
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

Re: Question for Marvel Comic readers
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 03:35:20 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
So, since i have a ton of downtime due to the economy sitting around the house (read: broke) I was wondering if anyone reads the xmen comics?

I used to, and would like to maybe follow one or two books a month ( i can swing 8 bucks at the local shop heh)

Ive been over to the wiki, so i ahve a basic idea of what books are doing what, and have decided i kind of want to read the following 4.

New mutants
X force
Uncanny x men
Xmen

Now, marvel is nice enough to have some these books old issues online, and I was wondering whats a good ballpark to start each to catch up?

I know from the wiki that new mutants and X-force are short runs at the moment, more asking about the two main books.

Whats a good ball park jumping in point for each? #500 for uncanny? 525? that kind of thing

Thanks in advance!

The best jumping off point depends on how far back your knowledge of the books go, but I'd start with the very beginning of the event "Messiah Complex" at the earliest ( Messiah Complex books all have a black frame for the cover image) IF you want to go back further I'd suggest going all the way back to House of M, but then skipping the subsequent Apocalypse Arc in Uncanny. Basically start when Ed Brubaker started writing Uncanny and Mike Carey began writing "Adjectiveless". Also, If you want to understand Brubakers arc, you could go back and read his mini-series, "Deadly Genesis". Hope you can follow that.

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 03:38:32 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Go to the bookstore (borders, barnes and Noble).  Read the books there for free.  I find this a cheap way to catch up.

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 03:42:32 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Go to the bookstore (borders, barnes and Noble).  Read the books there for free.  I find this a cheap way to catch up.

Problem is , Barnes and Noble and the like tend to have a limited selection. If you got to your LCS and buy 2 books they typically don't care how much you read in store. Unless the guy is a jerk.

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 03:43:44 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Problem is , Barnes and Noble and the like tend to have a limited selection. If you got to your LCS and buy 2 books they typically don't care how much you read in store. Unless the guy is a jerk.

I have found that the current stuff is pretty good.