Author Topic: 2015 Redsox starting lineup prediction  (Read 88512 times)

Re: 2015 Redsox starting lineup prediction
« Reply #165 on: December 11, 2014, 12:00:51 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Looks like they added Justin Masterson.

« Reply #166 on: December 11, 2014, 12:09:35 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Agree with the notion that I don't think the White Sox are looking to move Sale based on their offseason moves.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #167 on: December 11, 2014, 12:12:30 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

I don't know if this qualifies as namedropping, but my parents are losing their minds over this(in a good way). They know Justin through their involvement with the Wareham Gatemen, and were heartbroken when he was dealt in '09.

On Sale, whatever it would cost to get him, I wouldn't be willing to pay it. Sale's 25, one of the best pitchers in baseball, and on an insanely team friendly contract for the next five years, and CHI actually has the option to cut him loose after 3 if his arm falls off. It'd take something crazy like Betts,Bogaerts, Owens, Swihart. I mean, I don't actually know anything, just fantasy armchair GMing from the WhiteSox perspective.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tK7uKP_MP8Unu0Mx46heFcg&output=html
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 12:18:35 PM by Nerf DPOY »

« Reply #168 on: December 11, 2014, 12:28:05 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

I don't know if this qualifies as namedropping, but my parents are losing their minds over this(in a good way). They know Justin through their involvement with the Wareham Gatemen, and were heartbroken when he was dealt in '09.

On Sale, whatever it would cost to get him, I wouldn't be willing to pay it. Sale's 25, one of the best pitchers in baseball, and on an insanely team friendly contract for the next five years, and CHI actually has the option to cut him loose after 3 if his arm falls off. It'd take something crazy like Betts,Bogaerts, Owens, Swihart. I mean, I don't actually know anything, just fantasy armchair GMing from the WhiteSox perspective.

Done deal for Masterson, 1 year/9 mil.
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/12/red-sox-to-sign-justin-masterson.html

« Reply #169 on: December 11, 2014, 12:40:01 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

The

Masterson is an extreme ground ball pitcher.  Porcello and Miley are ground ball pitchers as well.  My gut is telling me Bogaerts is going to be traded for an ace and replaced with a better defensive ss.

« Reply #170 on: December 11, 2014, 01:09:51 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff

The

Masterson is an extreme ground ball pitcher.  Porcello and Miley are ground ball pitchers as well.  My gut is telling me Bogaerts is going to be traded for an ace and replaced with a better defensive ss.

Even with expected improvement from Bogaerts, I agree he'll always be one of the clumsier SS's in the league. That said, like you said, I wouldn't deal him for anything shorter than an Ace in his 20's. I just cringe at the idea of dealing a 22 year old projected middle of the order bat who can passably play SS.

« Reply #171 on: December 11, 2014, 01:13:59 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

The

Even with expected improvement from Bogaerts, I agree he'll always be one of the clumsier SS's in the league. That said, like you said, I wouldn't deal him for anything shorter than an Ace in his 20's. I just cringe at the idea of dealing a 22 year old projected middle of the order bat who can passably play SS.

Middle of the order bat?

He only batted 240 last season.

« Reply #172 on: December 11, 2014, 01:14:57 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

The

Yeah, Sox must have something else lined up. Or at least, I hope they do because right now it seems like all they are doing is acquiring a bunch of middle of the order rotation caliber pitchers.

« Reply #173 on: December 11, 2014, 01:20:19 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

Who is the shortstop target in this theory? This all would have made a lot of sense if Jose Iglesias was still on the team. Reports on Marrero don't make him out to an exceptional defender.

« Reply #174 on: December 11, 2014, 01:23:08 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas

The

I agree.  But they just added three starting pitchers who are all among the most extreme ground ball pitchers in badeball.  Masterson is the most or second most extreme in the league.  It seems like more of a plan than a coincidence.  They currently have well above average defenders as third, second, and first and someone who might be a liability at the most important infield position. 

I'll be disappointed if they trade him for Hamels for the reason you mentioned, but I'm guessing something is up.  They need an elite pitcher and you have to give up a lot of talent to acquire one.  These are the same guys who trade Ramirez for Beckett.

« Reply #175 on: December 11, 2014, 01:23:57 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff

Who is the shortstop target in this theory? This all would have made a lot of sense if Jose Iglesias was still on the team. Reports on Marrero don't make him out to an exceptional defender.

No, he's awesome. Not as flashy as Iglesias, but still awesome. Like Roy said, he might not have the bat to justify being an everyday player.

« Reply #176 on: December 11, 2014, 01:26:15 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas

I'm not sure I agree that his defense isn't exceptional.  Here's his scouting report from sox prospects.com

Scouting Report and 2015 Outlook: Marrero is extremely athletic with great instincts. Defensively, he has an active lower half with agility, quick lateral movements, and soft hands. Marrero is a plus-plus defender with plus range and a plus arm. He makes playing the position look easy, getting to balls deep in the hole and possessing plenty of arm strength to make all the throws. He has great body control and is able to throw from all angles and on the run. Offensively, the right-handed hitter displays a line-drive stroke with quick hands through the zone and a gap-to-gap approach with solid knowledge of the strike zone. He has below-average raw power, which is fine for a shortstop. He is a solid baserunner with instincts and average speed that can steal a base. Given his approach at the plate, athleticism and ability to make adjustments, I believe Marrero can offer future average offensive output on par with other Major League shortstops. Marrero offers premium defense at a premium position with a chance to provide average offensive output from the shortstop position, and even though he has already reached Triple-A, he will not turn 25 until next August. He should begin 2015 back with Pawtucket and could make a push as early as 2016 for the everyday starting job at shortstop, potentially

« Reply #177 on: December 11, 2014, 01:28:55 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
So the Sox apparently talked to Shields last night. Even if they don't sign him, they still need an opening day starter. Also, they currently have 5 SPs.

Does that mean that Buccholz is gone, or that Kelly is starting in the minors? Does he even have options?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #178 on: December 11, 2014, 01:38:53 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff

The

I agree.  But they just added three starting pitchers who are all among the most extreme ground ball pitchers in badeball.  Masterson is the most or second most extreme in the league.  It seems like more of a plan than a coincidence.  They currently have well above average defenders as third, second, and first and someone who might be a liability at the most important infield position. 

I'll be disappointed if they trade him for Hamels for the reason you mentioned, but I'm guessing something is up.  They need an elite pitcher and you have to give up a lot of talent to acquire one.  These are the same guys who trade Ramirez for Beckett.

If they trade Bogaerts for Hamels I'll be mystified. I keep hearing Hamels has a team friendly deal --- He's due 22.5 mil for the next 4 seasons, and then 20 for year 5 or a 6 mil buyout. I don't really see that as a much better deal than what Lester just got on the open market. If they deal Bogaerts to get Hamels on a slightly better deal than what they could have had Lester for, then I'd be pretty annoyed.

On a sort of unrelated note, I think Bogaerts compares similarly to Giannis(not even gonna go near his last name). I don't know much about Bogaerts wingspan or how big his hands are, but you get the idea....

« Reply #179 on: December 11, 2014, 01:41:37 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
So the Sox apparently talked to Shields last night. Even if they don't sign him, they still need an opening day starter. Also, they currently have 5 SPs.

Does that mean that Buccholz is gone, or that Kelly is starting in the minors? Does he even have options?

I get the sense they're just gonna sling all these guys at the wall and see who sticks.  Seems like a staff full of 3s, 4s, & 5s right now.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team