Author Topic: 2015 Redsox starting lineup prediction  (Read 88309 times)

2015 Redsox starting lineup prediction
« on: September 02, 2014, 10:14:55 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Lineup

3B - Betts - Kid is special.  He is like a less muscular more patient hitting Castillo. Awesome batspeed/power for his size 5'9/160 pounds.
2B - Pedrioa - Our 2nd baseman for a very long time to come
DH - Ortiz -  Heart and soul of the team. Hope he can play until 45
LF - Cespedes - It was all worth it to give up Lester for half a year
CF - Castillo - Expecting a 275 average hitter, 30 home runs, cannon of an arm
1B - Napoli - Its looking like a nightmare for any opposing pitchers to go through this lineup
RF - Victorino -  hopefully can be healthy moving fwd.  Gamer
SS - Boegarts - streaky right now.  Good power and fielder
C - Vazquez -  Needs to improve as a hitter but is a good catcher/calls a good game for his age

Starting rotation

- Lester. 90 percent he is going to be back and stay as a redsox for the long term
- De La Rosa
- Kelly
- Owens
- Ranaudo

Redsox weakspot is pitching help for next season.  One more ace calibre pitcher and a closer (Uehara is done imo). Bucholz needs to go/be traded and is at his last year of his contract . I don't think he will ever be the same again.   All eyes will be on Owens, who hasn't even played one major league game yet but is considered to have one of the nastiest curveballs of all of baseball.   De La Rosa also has potential to be a top three pitcher.

Prediction: Our offense is going to be awesome. If everything goes well with pitching and the youngsters overachieve, we will be contending for one of the wildcard spots.  Likely the team is going to need a legit #2  to really get anywhere.  Not many good starting pitchers will be available through the 2015 FA (Scherzer is going to get paid big, but not likely from the sox).  Through a trade or two is another option but if it doesn't involve anyone listed above. 

thoughts?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 10:29:35 PM by triboy16f »

Re: 2015 Redsox starting lineup prediction
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 11:28:06 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Can Betts play 3rd?  I wouldn't be surprised he starts in the outfield in place of Victorino after all Victorino's body seems to be breaking down.  Does Castillo really have 30 HR potential? I thought he had less power than Cespedes.  Ortiz amazes me he is still hitting so well.  Don't forget about Holt and Nava for that matter.  Both solid hitters.  I wonder if the Sox will give up on Middlebrooks and Bradley Jr...

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 09:23:29 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Lineup

3B - Betts - Kid is special.  He is like a less muscular more patient hitting Castillo. Awesome batspeed/power for his size 5'9/160 pounds.
2B - Pedrioa - Our 2nd baseman for a very long time to come
DH - Ortiz -  Heart and soul of the team. Hope he can play until 45
LF - Cespedes - It was all worth it to give up Lester for half a year
CF - Castillo - Expecting a 275 average hitter, 30 home runs, cannon of an arm
1B - Napoli - Its looking like a nightmare for any opposing pitchers to go through this lineup
RF - Victorino -  hopefully can be healthy moving fwd.  Gamer
SS - Boegarts - streaky right now.  Good power and fielder
C - Vazquez -  Needs to improve as a hitter but is a good catcher/calls a good game for his age

Starting rotation

- Lester. 90 percent he is going to be back and stay as a redsox for the long term
- De La Rosa
- Kelly
- Owens
- Ranaudo

Redsox weakspot is pitching help for next season.  One more ace calibre pitcher and a closer (Uehara is done imo). Bucholz needs to go/be traded and is at his last year of his contract . I don't think he will ever be the same again.   All eyes will be on Owens, who hasn't even played one major league game yet but is considered to have one of the nastiest curveballs of all of baseball.   De La Rosa also has potential to be a top three pitcher.

Prediction: Our offense is going to be awesome. If everything goes well with pitching and the youngsters overachieve, we will be contending for one of the wildcard spots.  Likely the team is going to need a legit #2  to really get anywhere.  Not many good starting pitchers will be available through the 2015 FA (Scherzer is going to get paid big, but not likely from the sox).  Through a trade or two is another option but if it doesn't involve anyone listed above. 

thoughts?

If you are expecting 30 homers from Castillo you are going to be disappointed.  He projects as a guy to hit 15 homers?  He doesn't have a cannon for an arm either, he profiles as a good defensive CF with an average major league arm.  I think he will be a good player but more in lines of what Brett Gardner is....

Owens is a nice prospect but his out pitch is his change-up, he has a great change up, some think it's the best in all of minor league baseball.  He will start the year in triple A though, he still needs to iron out his command ( much like Lester when he was that age ) and continue to develop his curve ball, which is a fringe major league pitch right now.  Owen is 6'7 and lanky, so an issue that he has is repeating his delivery, which will come in time. 

I think the Sox are going all in next year - Here is my line-up

1 - Bett 3B - only way he is not on this team next year is because they acquired Stanton and Betts is the center piece
2 - Pedroia - franchise 2nd baseman, will hoover around .300 and play GG defense
3- Ortiz - hoping he has one year left in him
4 - Cespedes - RF - a full year in Boston and hitting behind Ortiz should produce 30/100
5 - Napoli - 1B, hope he gets healthy and continues to drive in runs
6 - Craig - LF, get that foot healthy and get back to his .300 and 100 days
7 - Castillo - CF his Brett Gardner type of game will play really well in Boston and in this line-up
8- Xander - he will explode next year, he will play average defense and hit 25 homers
9 - Vazquez & Ross - you can have a hole in the line-up with this deep line-up...

They need to get an Ace, I think Lester is in play here and it's a good story:)

1 - Lester
2 - Clay
3 - Kelly
4 - Ruby
5 - Raunado

If the Sox don't get Lester, I can see James Shields here, he is not Lester but he is a good pitcher and he could help bridge the gap until all the kids are ready....

This team will compete for a division....

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 10:03:06 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I also think it's going to be a busy offseason for the Sox and they need one after such an abysmal season.

I don't think Lester comes back but I do think the Sox go after Cole Hamels and maybe even Cliff Lee (bigger deal with Philly in which the Sox hopefully send out some dead weight like Bucholz, Middelbrooks, Bradley and Victorino if they agree to take on Lee's contract.)

I think Bogearts will be back.

The outfield will be Craig at left/Holt at center/Cespedes at right with Napoli at 1st, Pedroia at 2nd, Bogaerts at short and a free agent acquisition at 3rd base (Chase Headley or perhaps Russell Martin who can also platoon at catcher with Vasquez.)

Oritz will be back at DH.

I also think the Sox could go after David Robertson from the Yankees who will be a FA as the Sox will need a closer (age is catching up to Uehara.)

DeLa Rosa and Webster will also get moved to the bullpen.

I think this will be the rotation

-Hamels
-Lee
-Joe Kelly
-Ranaudo
-Workman
-Maybe Henry Owens later in the year.

This is the time to strike because I have a feeling after this year, the Yankees are going to be in for a rough couple years post Jeter, while they're stuck with aging players on bloated contracts like ARod, Teixeira, Sabathia, McCann and Beltran.

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 10:12:13 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Allen craig over victorino?

There is a reason craig was given up on.  He is an extra bat at best imo. And until he comes through with limited min, you dont start him especially over a special player like victorino

Owens has several above avg pitches. Its his slow curve that has opposing hitters scratching their head when its on. His change up is very good. He is going to get 3 more starts at pawtucket and is already 3-1. Imo unless he falls on his face he should get a chance to make the big club. He might even get a start in a few weeks. Im excited about this kid

Bucholz has a bum arm imo. You can only get so much milaege out of his arm/body and its near the end.  Trade him bc he is not going to be resigned after 2015. Shields would be an ok number 2 behind lester. Worse case i wouldnt mind bringing back masterson

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 10:16:35 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I also think it's going to be a busy offseason for the Sox and they need one after such an abysmal season.

I don't think Lester comes back but I do think the Sox go after Cole Hamels and maybe even Cliff Lee (bigger deal with Philly in which the Sox hopefully send out some dead weight like Bucholz, Middelbrooks, Bradley and Victorino if they agree to take on Lee's contract.)

The outfield will be Craig at left/Holt at center/Cespedes at right with Napoli at 1st, Pedroia at 2nd, Bogaerts at short and a free agent acquisition at 3rd base (Chase Headley or perhaps Russell Martin who can also platoon at catcher with Vasquez.)

I also think the Sox could go after David Robertson from the Yankees who will be a FA as the Sox will need a closer (age is catching up to Uehara.)

-Hamels
-Lee
-Joe Kelly
-Ranaudo
-Workman

This is the time to strike because I have a feeling after this year, the Yankees are going to be in for a rough couple years post Jeter, while they're stuck with aging players on bloated contracts like ARod, Teixeira, Sabathia, McCann and Beltran.

Do you predict workman will make the starting rotation? Bc he has been a bum this year. De la rosa and ranaudo are ahead right now. Webster is a bum also. He has no plus pitches and walks too many batters

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 10:24:52 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton

There is a reason craig was given up on.  He is an extra bat at best imo. And until he comes through with limited min, you dont start him especially over a special player like victorino

Owens has several above avg pitches. Its his slow curve that has opposing hitters scratching their head when its on. His change up is very good. He is going to get 3 more starts at pawtucket and is already 3-1. Imo unless he falls on his face he should get a chance to make the big club. He might even get a start in a few weeks. Im excited about this kid

Bucholz has a bum arm imo. You can only get so much milaege out of his arm/body and its near the end.  Trade him bc he is not going to be resigned after 2015. Shields would be an ok number 2 behind lester. Worse case i wouldnt mind bringing back masterson

Yes - Victorino will not be on this team next year, the Sox will pay some team to take him.  His body is breaking down big time.  Allen Craig is a stud, he is having a bad year but the guy is a legit middle of the order bat that is a proven run producer on a nice contract. 

No way Owens makes the rotation out of spring training, he isn't ready.  He needs to tighten up his command, still walks too many guys, hitters in the MLB will make him pay.  He is just a baby, I would like to see him get another 20 starts or so Pawtucket....

I believe Clay's contract doesn't expire until 2017?  I want no part of Masterson, he can't get lefties out.  The Sox will do something big, whether it's bringing back Lester or getting Hamels or packaging all the young players to get Stanton....should be a fun winter...

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 10:27:22 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton

-Hamels
-Lee
-Joe Kelly
-Ranaudo
-Workman

Do you predict workman will make the starting rotation? Bc he has been a bum this year. De la rosa and ranaudo are ahead right now. Webster is a bum also. He has no plus pitches and walks too many batters

I think Workman will be a 7 or 8th inning pitcher - his fastball will play up and he has a power curve.  I like him in the bull-pen....

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 10:33:20 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

-Hamels
-Lee
-Joe Kelly
-Ranaudo
-Workman

Maybe then swap out Workman with De La Rosa, which actually would be a good idea as Workman seemed alot more comfortable coming out of the pen last year.

Yes, I pick Craig over Victorino. I think Victorino is garbage who just happened to have a good season last year but has been awful in like the last 3 of four seasons.

Also, I forgot about Rusney Castilo. He'll be the center fielder with Holt and Betts as the lead utility guys. As I mentioned, I think Bradley will be gone and I expect a new 3rd baseman (hopefully. Maybe they also make a run at Hanley as he could play 3rd, short and also DH)

Stanton would be nice, but I don't see the Marlins giving up their only good player.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 10:49:13 AM by gpap »

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 11:07:54 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Yes - Victorino will not be on this team next year, the Sox will pay some team to take him.  His body is breaking down big time.  Allen Craig is a stud, he is having a bad year but the guy is a legit middle of the order bat that is a proven run producer on a nice contract. 

No way Owens makes the rotation out of spring training, he isn't ready.  He needs to tighten up his command, still walks too many guys, hitters in the MLB will make him pay.  He is just a baby, I would like to see him get another 20 starts or so Pawtucket....

I believe Clay's contract doesn't expire until 2017?  I want no part of Masterson, he can't get lefties out.  The Sox will do something big, whether it's bringing back Lester or getting Hamels or packaging all the young players to get Stanton....should be a fun winter...

Victorino just not too long ago signed an extension. Craig was like a throw in for lackey.  Chances of craig being successul like he was in 2012-2013 are not too good. Imo he was given up upon for a reason. He has done little so far as a redsox

Owens might not make the start from the start but he is going to to come up at some pt.  He is one offseason away to really get it goimg. More strength would be a big step fwd.

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 11:11:56 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Btw the redsox are not getting stanton if it involves,  cespedes, castillo  and likely betts or owens.

Castillo has just came in. Cespedes was a key reason. Betts and owens are blue chip prospects. Our offense wont be an issue for years to come. Its pitching help we need help with

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 11:19:55 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Btw the redsox are not getting stanton if it involves,  cespedes, castillo  and likely betts or owens.

Castillo has just came in. Cespedes was a key reason. Betts and owens are blue chip prospects. Our offense wont be an issue for years to come. Its pitching help we need help with

I think they could use another bat.

Remember, Pedroia is declining, Ortiz is probably retiring after next season, Napoli and Cespedes could be gone after next season as well.

More offense will be needed.

That's why I say don't be surprised if they make a run at Hanley Ramirez this offseason.

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2014, 11:21:10 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
All I know is that as far as offense goes, Middlebrooks has got to go. I don't get why this guy has gotten as many chances as he has. They have so many OFs and the rest of the infield is pretty much locked so 3B is really the only place they can make an upgrade. They have to hope Napoli, Pedroia, and Bogaerts can have bounceback years and Ortiz somehow still hits 25 + homers.

Does anybody know what big FAs are available this winter?

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 11:36:13 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Remember, Pedroia is declining, Ortiz is probably retiring after next season, Napoli and Cespedes could be gone after next season as well.

That's why I say don't be surprised if they make a run at Hanley Ramirez this offseason.

We just signed pedroia like last year. Baseball is not like football or basketball. Guys can have career years even at 35.

Ortiz will be back for another year and he durable.

I see cespedes resigning and stayimg with the sox for another 3. To 4 years . he is in tremendous shape

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2014, 11:40:04 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

We just signed pedroia like last year. Baseball is not like football or basketball. Guys can have career years even at 35.

Ortiz will be back for another year and he durable.

I see cespedes resigning and stayimg with the sox for another 3. To 4 years . he is in tremendous shape

If you look at Pedroia's numbers over the last several seasons, you will see he has steadily declined.

Extending him to an 8 year deal was a bad mistake and this is where I call out the Red Sox for hypocrisy.

They are adamantly against long-term deals yet they extended Pedroia for 8 years.

In fact, I would offer him in a trade as well and just plug in either Holt or Betts into 2nd base.

I don't think Pedroia is going to age well in baseball because of his height, upper cut swing and the way he plays defensively.