Author Topic: 2013 Red Sox Season Thread  (Read 50112 times)

2013 Red Sox Season Thread
« on: April 07, 2013, 03:04:14 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I know I am getting very excited about this Red Sox team. They have an absolutely filthy bullpen, probably the best in the league and it really looks like they have future stars in Bradley Jr., Middlebrooks and maybe Iglesias to go along with current stars Pedroia, Ellsbury, Ortiz, Lester, Buchholz and Hanrahan.

LET'S GO RED SOX!!!!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 01:01:22 PM by Redz »

Re: Anyone else getting excited about this Red Sox team?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 03:09:44 PM »

Offline Quinn

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 28
WMB is the man. 3 homers today.

But yes, I think they're gonna surprise a lot of people this year.
Practice? Whatchu talkin about practice?

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 03:14:13 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
WMB is the man. 3 homers today.

But yes, I think they're gonna surprise a lot of people this year.
Yeah, four HRs already for the season and he hasn't played a game in Fenway yet. I'm expecting a lot of balls over the Monster from Middlebrooks before his Red Sox career is over.

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 03:23:20 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Iglesias making the most of his opportunity so far, is a huge story. 

Uehera's high fiving antics in the dugout is exactly what this team needs.  Can you imagine anyone doing that last year?

Yup

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 03:28:55 PM »

Offline Quinn

• Jaylen Brown

Uehera's high fiving antics in the dugout is exactly what this team needs.  Can you imagine anyone doing that last year?

Let's be fair, valentine sucked. Everyone seems to just be having fun out there. And in baseball that's huge.

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 03:33:03 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Let's be fair, valentine sucked. Everyone seems to just be having fun out there. And in baseball that's huge.
The difference in this team from the top down is night and day. Guys like Uehara and Middlebrooks and Iglesias and Bradley and Gomes and Victorino add so much to a better clubhouse environment with their excitement and enthusiasm for the game.

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 03:40:09 PM »

Offline Quinn

• Jaylen Brown

The difference in this team from the top down is night and day. Guys like Uehara and Middlebrooks and Iglesias and Bradley and Gomes and Victorino add so much to a better clubhouse environment with their excitement and enthusiasm for the game.

Exactly. Last year no one seemed to enjoy playing for the redsox. It was a nonstop soap opera. Less drama+ better teammates equals a happier and looser squad. No chicken and beer fiascos (which to me isn't a big deal but the way the team operated last year everything was blown way out of proportion.) Good time to be a sox fan again. :)

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 03:59:27 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Hope springs eternal for Red Sox fans. Every year in April, we think, this is the year....again. Of course, that sure beats thinking, this is the year....finally!

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 04:58:03 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
What I like is the sense of being an underdog.

It's not just because of the team's record last year. We now have a ton of players who have something to prove - a little bit of a chip on their shoulder:

1. Ellsbury is in a contract year, and wants redemption after his down/injured year in 2012;
2. Lester feels like he has to regain his form, and seems to have worked hard to do that.
3. Victorino got tons of flack for being overpaid;
4. Napoli wants to prove the doubters wrong about his hip;
5. Iglesias is dying to prove that he can hit in the majors;
6. Middlebrooks wants to prove he can play a full year at a high level;
7. Bailey wants redemption after his injury;
8. Buchholz is looking for a bounce-back year.

Last year the team seemed to have much more of an entitled attitude. This year we have a lot of guys who are hungry. I like it.

I don't know whether they're going to be any better, but I'm already rooting harder for this team than I did at any point last year.

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 05:13:59 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

It's not just because of the team's record last year. We now have a ton of players who have something to prove - a little bit of a chip on their shoulder:

1. Ellsbury is in a contract year, and wants redemption after his down/injured year in 2012;
2. Lester feels like he has to regain his form, and seems to have worked hard to do that.

Last year the team seemed to have much more of an entitled attitude. This year we have a lot of guys who are hungry. I like it.

I don't know whether they're going to be any better, but I'm already rooting harder for this team than I did at any point last year.

What was particularly nauseating about last years sense of entitlement was that it came on the heals of that ridiculous collapse the year before.
Yup

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 08:23:06 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo

What was particularly nauseating about last years sense of entitlement was that it came on the heals of that ridiculous collapse the year before.

I know. In all my years as a Sox fan that was the one team I had the least interest in rooting for ever, going back to 1975.

I actually didn't hate Valentine too much during the season - I thought he was dealing with a situation as bad as it can get, in terms of effort and personalities. There were some obvious mistakes, of course (Youkilis, etc.).

But I think he's completey embarrassed himself since then. He's taken no responsibility for what happened.

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2013, 08:37:36 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
There's definitely a different vibe about this team.  Still, 6 games is an exceedingly small sample size for a 162 game season.

Let's remember that the '11 Sox started out 0-6 and still managed to have one of the best records in the league for quite a while before having a terrible September.  Can't really make any judgments about the team until at least June.

But I think we can say for sure that the team, at least for now, has a completely different culture and atmosphere about them.  That is what they were primarily built to accomplish, though.  Be "likeable."
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2013, 09:07:39 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I'm always excited about the Sox this time of year, but I also have been a fan long enough to temper that excitement with reality, limit my expectations, (how many great starts have we had that ended in horror?), and not start putting up pennants until they happen. But yeah, let's go Red Sox! (That's not sarcasm).
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2013, 09:33:33 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
I'm always excited about the Sox this time of year, but I also have been a fan long enough to temper that excitement with reality, limit my expectations, (how many great starts have we had that ended in horror?), and not start putting up pennants until they happen. But yeah, let's go Red Sox! (That's not sarcasm).

In my experience, being out of touch with reality is essential.

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2013, 09:43:13 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

In my experience, being out of touch with reality is essential.
To sanity, yes, it is ... but I never claimed to be sane. ;)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *