Author Topic: Bay vs Manny Stats  (Read 7901 times)

Re: Bay vs Manny Stats
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2008, 09:32:19 PM »

Offline bostonfan23

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 115
  • I just might be a basketball machine. -MS
Bay swings too much at bad pitches.He reminds me more and more of brian daubach. will get his hits but strike out alot too.

Brian Daubach? Come on.

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2008, 09:34:50 PM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
Bay swings too much at bad pitches.He reminds me more and more of brian daubach. will get his hits but strike out alot too.

Wow, a truly awful comparison. Daubach was a career .259 hitter who never hit more than 22 HR's in a season while being one of the worst defensive outfielders i have ever seen.

Bay is a career .282 hitter and would be much higher if it wasnt for him playing hurt last year, he averages 31 homers per 162 games for his career so far while playing in a pitcher/neutral park. He strikes out alot but he also walks alot which is shown by his .376 career obp compared to Daubachs .340, Bays CAREER obp is higher than Daubachs higher season. The final stat to end this comparison, Brian Daubachs career ops .817, Jason Bays .891.

Alot of power hitters strike out alot, its really not a big deal if you hit for a good average and still walk alot.

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2008, 09:35:56 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

You mean just as far as the swinging at bad pitches right?  Because Daubach was never close to the caliber of overall hitter or player that Bay is.

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2008, 10:11:33 PM »

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 24
I will clarify further what i meant. Bay really looks bad swinging at bad pitches. Barely happened to manny, lowell and alot of other major leaguers. He looks like instead of being patient for pitches he is good to hit he guesses. I don't dislike the guy, his stats are above average. I just don't like the way he approaches the plate.

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2008, 10:42:38 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I will clarify further what i meant. Bay really looks bad swinging at bad pitches. Barely happened to manny, lowell and alot of other major leaguers. He looks like instead of being patient for pitches he is good to hit he guesses. I don't dislike the guy, his stats are above average. I just don't like the way he approaches the plate.

I disagree, I think Lowell goes after a lot of bad pitches.  Bay is a very good hitter.  He is in that second tier of hitters in the league.  He has above average power, and also is an above average overall hitter.  He has holes in his swing, just like 99% of the league.  He is not Manny...but there are maybe only 3 or 4 other guys in the league in the same class as Manny.  This guy is a very good hitter, and is going to be very important to this team going forward.

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2008, 11:02:55 PM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
He looks like instead of being patient for pitches he is good to hit he guesses.

But thats just wrong as he is VERY patient, why else would his OBP% be so high? He strikes out alot because he is so patient and doesnt mind falling behind in counts.

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2008, 09:52:41 PM »

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 24
does this guy ever walk?? He is guess swinging like crazy

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2008, 10:14:22 PM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
does this guy ever walk?? He is guess swinging like crazy

Do you actually look at the stats? He obviously walks and gets on base alot, you dont walk alot unless you are patient. So far with the Sox he has a OBP% of .395 with a .333 BA so he is still getting on base 6% of the time when he doesnt get a hit which is pretty good, his career differential between his obp and ba is 10% which is even better an tells you how patient he is. So seriously, stop saying he isnt patient because he obviously is and has been his entire career.