Author Topic: Gerry Callahan Kills Manny on his way out  (Read 21603 times)

Re: Gerry Callahan Kills Manny on his way out
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2008, 02:45:32 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
This is what happens when we try and fool ourselves into thinking that a good player is a good person. It isn't necessarily true or not. Separate the player from the person and it is easy. I for one don't want someone who is a bad person on our teams no matter the benefit to the win loss column. (See Stephon Marbury, Ron Artest, Josh Howard, etc. discussions) The actions the last few weeks have been the actions of a punk. He could have kept this all private and taken care of business still. I am glad he wrote this story because it adds another reason to dislike Manny personally but love his game. You can't argue that we are a worse team today than a week ago, but hopefully not by much. Hopefully also a better "team" and role model for the kids as well. Good riddance to him.

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2008, 02:46:03 PM »

Offline bandonox

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 17
I don't see anything that Callahan wrote that's a problem.  

Whether you like Callahan or not, he's probably around this uniquely talented jerk a lot more than we are.  Ramirez' behavior the last 3 weeks or so reeked of arrogance, tanking, boorish, and flat-out stupidity.  It may have seemed unique to the last several weeks to people who aren't consistently around Ramirez.  Callahan assured the reader that the childish behavior was unique to the last 7+ years.

It would be great if Ramirez had the same perspective that Barry Bonds has right now.  Instead of getting rewarded for not doing his job and being a complete jerk.

Bandanox said:
when he spit venom about vinny baker, and thinking how horrible it was... vinny's got an illness, man...lay off.

Cancer is a illness.  Picking up a bottle is a behavior decision based in selfishness, not a illness.  Baker chose the bottle over his job.  Manny chose to be a jerk over his job.  Same selfish difference.  Baker deserves the same treatment Ramirez does.

not entirely true....
unless you've battled addiction, you have no clue what it's like....
furthermore...if the things GC wrote about manny are true, then it's apples and oranges... vin was a nice guy who performed charity work with problems...GC got on him for performance and went too far by attacking him as a person...  and this started BEFORE the revelation that he was still boozin'....
manny was just the opposite.. great performer (at the plate, anyway) and not so much of a charity/ personal appearance kind of guy...
i'm over it... i knew manny had to go. i ain't happy about it, but it was time..
GC is good at what he does. what he does is attack easy targets....
then he doesn't show up at work to defend his words....
that, my friend, is the very definition of a coward. All this Talk about all of manny's faults off the field (which there are many, i'm sure).. gerry calahan is in a glass house throwing stones now, when attacking ANYONE for their personal accountability....
furbush.tumblr.com

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2008, 03:02:27 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Callahan lives by the credo that "any reaction is a good reaction"...Not unusual.  Annoying, but not unusual in his line of work.
Yup

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2008, 03:04:33 PM »

Offline blackbird

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 64
Did Callahan bring up the cancer kids incident when it happened? I don't remember hearing about it before.

What I DO remember hearing about though, is how John Dennis and Gerry Callahan wouldn't do the Jimmy Fund telethon because of their contract holdouts. What a hypocrite.

Manny certainly is a dog on the field, and he may well be a scumbag of a human being, too. Callahan would know- it takes one to know one.

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2008, 03:19:43 PM »

Offline bandonox

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 17
Did Callahan bring up the cancer kids incident when it happened? I don't remember hearing about it before.

What I DO remember hearing about though, is how John Dennis and Gerry Callahan wouldn't do the Jimmy Fund telethon because of their contract holdouts. What a hypocrite.

Manny certainly is a dog on the field, and he may well be a scumbag of a human being, too. Callahan would know- it takes one to know one.

bingo....
furbush.tumblr.com

« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2008, 03:22:16 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
The thing Baker and Ramirez have in common is that their behavior undermined their respective teams.  Baker may have not had the talent relatively speaking that Ramirez did.  But their respective paychecks cripple their team when they choose not to perform at the level they're capable of performing at.

That, IMHO, makes them both jerks. Baker's charitable work not withstanding.

So while being no fan of Callahan, he's right on both counts.

« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2008, 03:22:54 PM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
Gee, what a surprise, Callahan ripping someone!
Sorry, but I wouldn't stoop to reading anything by Callahan.
Hateful, spiteful, negative jerk, even aside from the politics.

So yes, I'm posting without having read the article. Same as I don't have to shop in Wal-Mart to know it sucks.

« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2008, 03:23:20 PM »

Offline celticsmaniac

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 0
I'm amazed no one has pointed out the irony of Gerry Callahan chastizing someone for being very talented but a crappy human being..

Callahan is a very talented writer, but a rude, bitter, racist scumbag of a human being.

« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2008, 03:55:31 PM »

Offline Mean Gerald Green

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 212
  • Cool Runnings
I'm amazed no one has pointed out the irony of Gerry Callahan chastizing someone for being very talented but a crappy human being..

Callahan is a very talented writer, but a rude, bitter, racist scumbag of a human being.

An excellent point.