Author Topic: Barry Bonds coming to red sox?  (Read 7119 times)

Barry Bonds coming to red sox?
« on: July 09, 2008, 11:36:17 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
On WEEI they keep talking about Bonds coming to the Sox, and how as soon as he hits his first home run the fan base would turn around and root for him.  I personally feel like I don't ever want to cheer for that man and i would be really upset at the Red Sox for forcing me to either put my personal convictions aside or stop enjoying watching the team.  I'm not sure if I would come around on Bonds and cheer him, i doubt I would, but i don't want the Red Sox to force me to find out. 
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 11:37:03 AM by Jeff »
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

Re: Barry Bonds coming to red sox?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 11:38:35 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
Bonds wont be coming here.  The sox wouldnt be interested in the media storm that would result and Bonds has previously spoken out about his hatred for 'racist' Boston.  It wont happen.

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 11:41:27 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Im sure that the Red Sox as an organization are more interested in winning championships and that is what scares me.  In the Mitchel report is says that Theo and the organization brought in Gagne last year knowing that he was on roids in the past.  Im not so sure they wont do it again
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 11:43:04 AM »

Offline bbc3341

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23
I would love it! If 50% of the league was on 'roids, why is it so immoral to cheer for Bonds? Cheering for him has nothing to do with my morals, my religion, or anything like that. The sports writers who get up on their high horse and condemn everybody unless they grovel at their feet have tried to ingrain in us this false sense of morality as if there were something at stake in who we root for. I'm not falling into their self righteousness.
Now, on to 18...

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 11:43:05 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Have they moved the discussion past anything more than a hypothetical?

I can't even think about that one.  It would be the ultimate test of rooting for the "laundry".  What if he were to hit a walkoff homer?  Do you boo?

I once sat behind the Sox dugout and heard some pretty awful things yelled at Mo Vaughn (during a contract dispute he was having).  After hearing it all game, he came up an hit a game winning homer in the 9th and was lauded as a hero. 

Now Mo had a whole lot more previous goodwill, but the point is, fans will cheer for you if you produce on the field.  It just would be painful to do for Barry.

That said, WHY WOULD THEY WANT HIM ANYHOW?
Yup

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 11:46:24 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
"That said, WHY DO THEY WANT HIM ANYHOW?"

They want him because even before roids he was a first ballot hall of famer, and even with the controversy he is arguably the best "player" in red sox history.  Thats counting the hitting stats, the gold gloves, and the baserunning abilities. 

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 11:47:05 AM »

Offline steve

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
The Mitchel report showed that Theo asked if Gagne was on steriods at that time... and then it was only later on that he signed him.  It would be difficult to blackball all players that did steriods in the past.

If Ortiz is coming back soon then I don't see why it is even a topic.  

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 11:53:08 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Ortiz is going to be back soon hopefully but i think we shouldent put all our eggs in that basket.  He was just starting to come around hitting wise as he got hurt, and who knows how effective he will be when he does return, he hasnt even rehabbed yet. 

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 12:32:05 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I would love it! If 50% of the league was on 'roids, why is it so immoral to cheer for Bonds? Cheering for him has nothing to do with my morals, my religion, or anything like that. The sports writers who get up on their high horse and condemn everybody unless they grovel at their feet have tried to ingrain in us this false sense of morality as if there were something at stake in who we root for. I'm not falling into their self righteousness.

Well said!  Why are some fans so dumb? If Bonds can come here and help us win another World Series, why wouldn't we want to cheer him?  Who cares what he's done in the past?  Half the players in baseball have taken steroids, besides I doubt Bonds is taking roids any longer.

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 12:37:10 PM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139
How about we shore up our middle relief instead? That and get a bat off a losing team.

We don't need Barry Bonds. Let him go to the Y-----s, instead.
Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 12:44:34 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
"That said, WHY DO THEY WANT HIM ANYHOW?"

They want him because even before roids he was a first ballot hall of famer, and even with the controversy he is arguably the best "player" in red sox history.  Thats counting the hitting stats, the gold gloves, and the baserunning abilities. 

I guess I see a 40 something year old guy with a bum knee who hasn't played since September.  If he's off Roids how good is he at this point?
Yup

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 12:54:22 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
"I guess I see a 40 something year old guy with a bum knee who hasn't played since September.  If he's off Roids how good is he at this point?"

My question for you is based on that logic were you the type of person that didnt want to sign reggie miller to a one year low risk deal?

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 12:57:58 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

I agree.  But Ortiz should be back soon so Bonds will be a nonissue.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 12:59:10 PM »

Offline I am... a brain doctor

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
  • ...For me to poop on!!!
How about we shore up our middle relief instead? That and get a bat off a losing team.

We don't need Barry Bonds. Let him go to the Y-----s, instead.

TP. my sentiments exactly.

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 01:00:20 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
"I guess I see a 40 something year old guy with a bum knee who hasn't played since September.  If he's off Roids how good is he at this point?"

My question for you is based on that logic were you the type of person that didnt want to sign reggie miller to a one year low risk deal?

reggie wasen't facing a trail and possable jail time during the postseason....
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion