3 (5.7%)
Portland
0 (0%)
Houston
7 (13.2%)
Other
6 (11.3%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: Jimmy Butler (Merged Threads)  (Read 49097 times)

Re: Jimmy Butler has requested a trade
« Reply #120 on: September 21, 2018, 12:15:24 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Story filed to ESPN: Rival executives lobbing calls to Minnesota’s front office on possibility of trading for Jimmy Butler are getting inquires shut down. Minnesota is telling teams that Butler’s an elite player and franchise intends to keep him.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1043160715773784064?s=21

Also: As the case with past trades involving Minnesota stars Kevin Garnett and Kevin Love, owner Glen Taylor will be a major part of the process on deciding whether to move Butler this season.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1043161490285625344?s=21

Lol. This is a desperate attempt to keep some semblance of leverage. They have none. They have to trade Butler. They can't keep him.

« Reply #121 on: September 21, 2018, 12:44:04 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Story filed to ESPN: Rival executives lobbing calls to Minnesota’s front office on possibility of trading for Jimmy Butler are getting inquires shut down. Minnesota is telling teams that Butler’s an elite player and franchise intends to keep him.

Also: As the case with past trades involving Minnesota stars Kevin Garnett and Kevin Love, owner Glen Taylor will be a major part of the process on deciding whether to move Butler this season.

Lol. This is a desperate attempt to keep some semblance of leverage. They have none. They have to trade Butler. They can't keep him.

They don’t have to. He’s under contract, he has to play for them. They can let him walk when his deal expires rather than trading him for peanuts if they like

« Reply #122 on: September 21, 2018, 01:13:18 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

They don’t have to. He’s under contract, he has to play for them. They can let him walk when his deal expires rather than trading him for peanuts if they like
Better to have a star and make the playoffs and earning playoff money and experience for the players than to trade Butler for pennies on the dollar and not make the playoffs.

This Minnesota team wasn't good last year when Butler wasn't playing. Without him this year they go into the lottery.

« Reply #123 on: September 21, 2018, 02:05:00 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Better to have a star and make the playoffs and earning playoff money and experience for the players than to trade Butler for pennies on the dollar and not make the playoffs.

This Minnesota team wasn't good last year when Butler wasn't playing. Without him this year they go into the lottery.

Something tells me with the way Butler and Towns hate each other that lockeroom is going to be impossible to manage. I don't think Minnesota can really stretch this out too long. Something is going to have to give.

This isn't just Butler demanding a trade. Towns has demanded Butler be shipped out also. Towns doesn't want him there and Butler doesn't want to be.

« Reply #124 on: September 21, 2018, 02:18:54 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

the nba doesn’t work like that. It’s a star player league. Stars can make demands. If a team wants to be on the good side of players and free agents, they allow the trade when a request is made

« Reply #125 on: September 21, 2018, 02:19:52 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

That's what proud owners would think.

Businessmen know they can't lose 3 early first round picks for nothing. That would make Minnesota a treadmill non-playoff team for the next decade.

« Reply #126 on: September 21, 2018, 05:16:30 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Reporting in here sources out that  “there remains a real possibility that (Butler) will not report to training camp next week if a trade has not been consummated.”

https://twitter.com/kcjhoop/status/1043235477334237184?s=21

« Reply #127 on: September 21, 2018, 06:21:33 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I understand Butler’s frustration as he is 29 and the clock is ticking for him to win big as an elite player.  If Towns was say 25, and not 22 maybe he would be more open to stay.  Towns defense really needs to come around sooner rather than later.  It seems like it’s that last hurdle in his game.  His offense is fantastic.

I’m not sure Wiggins will ever be more than a 1 dimensional player.  I’d take Tatum or Brown over Wiggins without hesitation.

2 young core players that play little D, not the easiest situation for a prime elite 2 way player.

« Reply #128 on: September 21, 2018, 07:29:45 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Story filed to ESPN: As Minnesota’s front office tells inquiring rivals that team has no plans to trade Jimmy Butler, owner Glen Taylor had a different message at NBA’s Board of Governors meetings: Butler is available and owners/GM’s should contact Taylor himself if necessary.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1043278308027367425?s=21

« Reply #129 on: September 21, 2018, 11:57:57 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
While all the other teams are making their bids for Jimmy Buckets...

Maybe we should sneak in and just steal KAT from the Wolves  :P :laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #130 on: September 22, 2018, 08:19:51 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
While all the other teams are making their bids for Jimmy Buckets...

Maybe we should sneak in and just steal KAT from the Wolves  :P :laugh:

I doubt there are a lot of suitors right now. How to make his money fit, how to make this bad locker room guy fit and how to fit in a player that will demand a max contract that extends until he is about 34 years old. I don't think he can be the best player on a championship team. Good luck Jimmy but I don't see it.

« Reply #131 on: September 22, 2018, 09:09:42 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Mini is saying they aren't moving him right now, but I wonder if they are waiting for LA to have Caldwell-Pope available to move for contract and bundle him up with Ingram. Ingram might be odd man out since he can't go to the 4 or 2 spot for a bulk of minutes. This also keeps money freed up for an other trade for them to take money in or next season for FA signings. They still wont be great, and kinda kill their future. Kuzma is good, not sure if he's franchise good, and Ball, who knows, maybe Rondo can help him out a bit.

« Reply #132 on: September 22, 2018, 09:25:03 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Mini is saying they aren't moving him right now, but I wonder if they are waiting for LA to have Caldwell-Pope available to move for contract and bundle him up with Ingram. Ingram might be odd man out since he can't go to the 4 or 2 spot for a bulk of minutes. This also keeps money freed up for an other trade for them to take money in or next season for FA signings. They still wont be great, and kinda kill their future. Kuzma is good, not sure if he's franchise good, and Ball, who knows, maybe Rondo can help him out a bit.
Their owner says Butler is available so it doesn't really matter what Thibs is saying.  The Lakers didn't offer Ingram for Leonard so why would they do so for Butler? 

« Reply #133 on: September 22, 2018, 09:35:08 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

The Lakers aren't gonna move Ingram for a guy they think they can get for free in FA next summer.  They didn't want to move him for Leonard, and they definitely won't move him for Butler
I'm bitter.

« Reply #134 on: September 22, 2018, 10:20:56 AM »

Online kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
Surprised no-one has posted this yet (it was on the front page of Celtics Blog lol, have we already forgotten about that site?!?).  Kyrie sounds quite happy in Boston and sounds as though he wants to be here long-term. It certainly throws a wrench in a lot of the Kyrie/Butler conspiracy theories.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24756416/kyrie-irving-talks-boston-celtics

Irving said he's aware that he's been linked to Jimmy Butler in persistent free-agent rumors regarding a mutual desire to play together in New York, but he said he's had no such discussions with Butler. In fact, he said, the last time he talked to Butler at length was when they were both playing with USA Basketball, and the two engaged in a spitballing session along with Durant and Cousins about what the future held for each of them.

"And that," Irving laughed, "was in 2016."

"Who wouldn't be a part of this?" Irving said, gesturing to Boston's new practice facility. "Who wouldn't want to be a part of Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum and Al Horford and Gordon Hayward? People keep saying, 'Why won't he commit to Boston?'

"Well, there are financial implications involved."

If Irving had signed an extension with Boston this past summer, he would have potentially left more than $80 million on the table than if he waits and re-signs with the Celtics next summer.

More good stuff: he feels healthy and seems really locked in to the idea of winning here:

Last season, Irving gutted through persistent soreness and irritation caused by hardware from a 2015 surgery to repair a broken kneecap. He was forced to shut it down in March, underwent two additional surgeries, then spent much of his offseason methodically fine-tuning that left knee to the point where he believes he is the healthiest and strongest he's been in three years

"I'm moving completely differently," Irving told ESPN on Friday, just days away from the official start of training camp. "I've worked on my strength and have a heightened awareness of what my body needs on a day-to-day basis. I spent all summer trying get my left leg to catch up with my right. And it's there."

"Our pickup games are next level," Irving said. "I mean, next level. You can't believe what we're doing out there. We can't wait to get started."

He claimed to have a confidence in his lower body that simply did not exist during his abbreviated 2017-18 season.

"Now when I go to the rim," Irving explained, "I'm able to maintain my strength and athleticism, so when I get under there I have all sorts of options. No limitations. I can pick my spots. It's a lot better."

Pressed if he would be disappointed if they didn't win a championship, Irving responded, "Can we beat Golden State in a seven-game series? Yes."

What makes him so sure?

"Because of who we have," Irving answered, "and what we're establishing here, not just for this season, but for hopefully for the next few years, something that's pretty special.

"I've played against Golden State in three straight Finals (2015-17) -- two that I was able to participate in -- and seeing them evolve, with the talent they have, and then adding DeMarcus Cousins [this offseason], it's like 'OK, the whole league is on notice.'

"But there's one factor that they're aware of, and I'm aware of, and that's that I've seen them up close. I've played them so many times. We've gone in a seven-game series [when he was in Cleveland], so I know what it takes.

"Now, how do I communicate to our guys that this is the top-tier team, and we have to grow immensely in the next six months to beat them consistently? Not just one game, not just two, but in a seven-game series, because they're so dang great. They're a powerhouse."

"The drive for greatness, the drive to win a championship, that's all I care about," he said. "The rest of it doesn't matter."