Author Topic: trade idea:humphries, ab, protected 1st for perkins and reggie jackson  (Read 8430 times)

Re: trade idea:humphries, ab, protected 1st for perkins and reggie jackson
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2013, 05:36:46 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9860683/32-bold-predictions-2013-14-nba-season

23. If Eric Gordon Stays Healthy and Plays Well, the Pelicans Will Look to Trade Him

New Orleans has said all the right things about Gordon: He loves it here! He's a nice guy! He doesn't really pout that much! He shows new players around the city! We totally believe Tyreke Evans can play a ton of minutes at small forward! I'm not quite buying it, given the Evans signing, and the fact that the Gordon-Davis-Evans–Jrue Holiday–Ryan Anderson core has these guys basically capped out through 2015-16.

Gordon's deal is toxic now, but it doesn't have to be if he's healthy. He has only two seasons left after this one, and the final year on the contract is Gordon's option. And max deals for guys coming off rookie contracts aren't as damaging as a $20 million cap-clogger gone bad.

Gordon inspires a ton of curious talk in rival front offices. He's not yet 25, with an impressive skill set and a disastrously bad health history. If he plays well and stays in the lineup, the Pellies might get someone to bite.

This is why I think expiring money, Bradley, and a pick may not be far off for getting Eric Gordon.

Also: I think Tyreke Evans is the perfect backcourt complement to Avery Bradley.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2013, 05:47:35 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
While okc will want to trap jackson into being a 6th man type guy for the long run, i doubt thats what he or any player in his situation will want. Its like bledsoe/paul situation again. This is his last year before going through a qualifying offer situation. Maybe okc does not want to deal with this problem as they got a huge payroll already

The thing is, whether or not Jackson would want that isn't relevant at this moment since, as others have noted, he's not due for an extension until next year; it makes no sense to trade him away *now* when they can easily drive up his value over the season and get a far better return.  I mean, look at your point:

- as risky as this sounds, id give jackson a 5 year 7-8 million a year contract if we got him. Kid is going to be good.

If you're assessing Jackson as being that good, don't you think OKC understands the potential goldmine they might have?  They just saw what the Clippers did with Bledsoe, so they're definitely not going to sell Jackson prematurely.  Especially if doing so not only nets them a worse return, but also compromises their playoff run for this season.

« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2013, 05:54:48 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Its going to take a little more to get jackson.  Okc is in driver seat with this deal imo. But some ppl here think the celts would be overpaying.

I just want to ask for those that think the celts is overpaying. Who can we get with hump, ab and protected 1st. Cousins? Aldridge?gordon? ... Id love to hear a realistic answer.

The Celtics are overpaying because they're sending the pieces that are worth the most on the open market and taking back the refuse.

But really what is hump, ab and late 1st going to get you back?? Dion waiters?? Bradley beal?? The answer is no. The best you can get back is a bad contract coupled with a decent 1st or prospect from a contending team. Usually these team dont have a decent mid 1st round pick anyways.

So thats why for me you overpay a little but hope jackson turns into something special. Like some have said okc would be in the driver seat in this deal. Bc they have little to no reason to give up on jackson
 Thats where the overpay comes in my proposal to entice

Clearly you're higher on Reggie Jackson than I am.

Also, I'm not sure where the "late 1st" came from. I don't think you qualified the protections at all.

Now, if you wanted to go with Bradley + Humphries for Jackson, Perk, and an OKC first rounder, that seems much more equitable. We're still getting them out of Perk's contract and replacing that albatross with an expiring and a prospect.

To your original proposal, though, I think that "overpaying a little" is a generous assessment.

Okc has no reason to give up jackson let alone a 1st.

I dont think you have seen what jackson can do or is capable of doing. You can block his path but he can still score on you. Even though it has been SL , pre season he has several 30 point, 20 plus point games already under his belt. Something none of our guards, or any players have accomplished so far

« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2013, 05:59:01 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
While okc will want to trap jackson into being a 6th man type guy for the long run, i doubt thats what he or any player in his situation will want. Its like bledsoe/paul situation again. This is his last year before going through a qualifying offer situation. Maybe okc does not want to deal with this problem as they got a huge payroll already

The thing is, whether or not Jackson would want that isn't relevant at this moment since, as others have noted, he's not due for an extension until next year; it makes no sense to trade him away *now* when they can easily drive up his value over the season and get a far better return.  I mean, look at your point:

- as risky as this sounds, id give jackson a 5 year 7-8 million a year contract if we got him. Kid is going to be good.

If you're assessing Jackson as being that good, don't you think OKC understands the potential goldmine they might have?  They just saw what the Clippers did with Bledsoe, so they're definitely not going to sell Jackson prematurely.  Especially if doing so not only nets them a worse return, but also compromises their playoff run for this season.

Yup and imo you get it. Okc likely wont agree to this trade or overpay that some ppl think it is.

And yeah i do think jackson will be a really good consistent pro latest by next year

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2013, 06:02:44 PM »

fitzhickey

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9860683/32-bold-predictions-2013-14-nba-season

23. If Eric Gordon Stays Healthy and Plays Well, the Pelicans Will Look to Trade Him

New Orleans has said all the right things about Gordon: He loves it here! He's a nice guy! He doesn't really pout that much! He shows new players around the city! We totally believe Tyreke Evans can play a ton of minutes at small forward! I'm not quite buying it, given the Evans signing, and the fact that the Gordon-Davis-Evans–Jrue Holiday–Ryan Anderson core has these guys basically capped out through 2015-16.

Gordon's deal is toxic now, but it doesn't have to be if he's healthy. He has only two seasons left after this one, and the final year on the contract is Gordon's option. And max deals for guys coming off rookie contracts aren't as damaging as a $20 million cap-clogger gone bad.

Gordon inspires a ton of curious talk in rival front offices. He's not yet 25, with an impressive skill set and a disastrously bad health history. If he plays well and stays in the lineup, the Pellies might get someone to bite.

This is why I think expiring money, Bradley, and a pick may not be far off for getting Eric Gordon.

Also: I think Tyreke Evans is the perfect backcourt complement to Avery Bradley.
IF Gordon can stay healthy then I'd bite. He showed at the end of last season what he can do.
If we could keep our 2014 first rounder then I would do it

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2013, 06:25:12 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Its going to take a little more to get jackson.  Okc is in driver seat with this deal imo. But some ppl here think the celts would be overpaying.

I just want to ask for those that think the celts is overpaying. Who can we get with hump, ab and protected 1st. Cousins? Aldridge?gordon? ... Id love to hear a realistic answer.

The Celtics are overpaying because they're sending the pieces that are worth the most on the open market and taking back the refuse.

But really what is hump, ab and late 1st going to get you back?? Dion waiters?? Bradley beal?? The answer is no. The best you can get back is a bad contract coupled with a decent 1st or prospect from a contending team. Usually these team dont have a decent mid 1st round pick anyways.

So thats why for me you overpay a little but hope jackson turns into something special. Like some have said okc would be in the driver seat in this deal. Bc they have little to no reason to give up on jackson
 Thats where the overpay comes in my proposal to entice

Also, I'm not sure where the "late 1st" came from. I don't think you qualified the protections at all.

Now, if you wanted to go with Bradley + Humphries for Jackson, Perk, and an OKC first rounder, that seems much more equitable. We're still getting them out of Perk's contract and replacing that albatross with an expiring and a prospect.

To your original proposal, though, I think that "overpaying a little" is a generous assessment.

Okc has no reason to give up jackson let alone a 1st.

I dont think you have seen what jackson can do or is capable of doing. You can block his path but he can still score on you. Even though it has been SL , pre season he has several 30 point, 20 plus point games already under his belt. Something none of our guards, or any players have accomplished so far

At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2013, 06:37:46 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6L1yE8sRLc

Like the kid's game. Like a Westbrook/Monta Ellis type. Plays hard on both ends of the court also.

It's too bad Danny couldn't pull some strings and draft him a few years ago.

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2013, 06:48:35 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
It'll be interesting to see how he plays in the regular season, since the team will have had time to prepare with him as the regular starting PG.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2013, 08:23:21 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
I've banged the "let's help OKC to get Gortat or Asik by taking on Perk's horrible deal" drum for weeks.

It makes more sense to me to look for a deal that has the Celtics being the team to acquire Gortat or Asik rather than taking on Perk's salary so that OKC can get better.

Well, last year absolutely, next year maybe, but not this year, IMO. Both Gortat or Asik make sense as Perk upgrades to try to win now, Asik being the first option. But at their current money or more, I wouldn't want them on the Cs. They were hot garbage in Eurobasket, really.

Why take on Perk's horrid contract? The Dallas pick could be out of reach until 2018 (top 20 protected until 2018, then unprotected), so it's not only about the pick. You send Bass and Crawesome to Houston, they get to play some, and you free not only a roster spot, but also ease the logjam at the 4 and 2. 

If you combine this trade with the Boozer trade, you get to unload at best Hump and Lee (if Chicago doesn't want Lee's extra years, you send Bogans)and get a quality starter at the 4 (plus an even better first rounder which could be out of reach until 2016 - unprotected). Perk and Boozer are amnesty candidates, but give you a very capable frontline until the young players develop.

You need an structured roster, and vets to lead. The downside is taking on that money (actually if you make the Boozer trade you trim 1.2M to 1.5M in salaries, allowing to fill the roster spots with undrafted rookies). But at the 2015 trade deadline you'd have 15+9=24M in expirings to make room or trade or do whatever you like. Trading for a soon-to-be 2015 class FA could be easier when you have expirings/picks/assets.

The last good thing about getting Perk back is Danny  having to stomach his terrible contract, the one Celtics could not give him (and wouldn't had given him even if possible). I don't like the idea of overpaying Perk, but I'd like him in green for reasonable money (3M/year), and Rondo, FlCeltsFan and many others would like him back.

If these trades went down, you could send Bogans to a team under the salary floor, like Philly, for a future second rounder, or a cheaper player, to get some cap room.

Rondo/Pressey
Bradley/Brooks/Bogans
Green/Wallace
Boozer/Olynyk
Perk/Sully/Fav