Author Topic: Rondo for Howard  (Read 8324 times)

Rondo for Howard
« on: July 10, 2012, 08:24:16 AM »

Offline Michael Anthony

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
I know Dwight only has eyes for Jersey, but have we even tried convincing him to play with Pierce and KG, in the house that Russell built? What if we offer them a starting five?

Rondo, Bradley, Green, Bass and Melo

for

Howard, Turkoglu, Richardson

We are left with an extremely potent lineup, but is it better?

Calderon-Terry
Richardson-Pietrus
Pierce-Turkoglu
Garnett-Sullinger
Howard-Stiemsma
"All I have to know is, he's my coach, and I follow his lead. He didn't have to say anything in here this week. We all knew what we had to do. He's a big part of our family, and we're like his extended family. And we did what good families do when one of their own is affected." - Teddy Bruschi

Re: Rondo for Howard
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 09:46:16 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
I'd like to keep Bradley if trading Rondo.

Bradley (PG), Garnett (PF) and Dwight (C) is a fearsome defensive combination.

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 09:51:10 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I know Dwight only has eyes for Jersey, but have we even tried convincing him to play with Pierce and KG, in the house that Russell built? What if we offer them a starting five?

for

I don't think Boston needs to take back all that salary if they are offering up Rondo. They don't need to do that to beat the alternative offers Orlando are getting.

I would be tempted to take Jason Richardson to fill the two guard slot. I worry about matching up salaries though.

PG: Jason Terry, (name)
SG: Avery Bradley, (Courtney Lee?)
SF: Paul Pierce, Jeff Green
PF: Kevin Garnett, Brandon Bass, Jared Sullinger
C:  Dwight Howard, Fab Melo

or

PG: Avery Bradley, Jason Terry
SG: (Courtney Lee or Jason Richardson), (name)
C:  Dwight Howard, Fab Melo

----------------------------------

I miss Ray Allen ... in this hypothetical. He would've been very useful here coming back into the starting lineup with his shooting/scoring threat alongside Dwight Howard.

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 09:55:41 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I'm not sure. I would be happy to trade Rondo for Dwight if Dwight agreed to an extension prior to coming.

I think Boston could persuade Dwight to stay after being a legitimate title contender next but I worry what will happen if KG/Pierce or someone goes down with an injury and Boston have a tough time competing for a title. Not sure I am prepared to take that risk.

Need to see a list of the teams with cap space next summer. See what choices Dwight Howard would have available to him if he did decide to leave. See how easy or difficult it would be for Boston to hold onto him.

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 09:56:18 AM »

Offline BostonNative

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 14
I don't see the point in the threads that show a situation that would never happen.  :P

But for a little fun i will say:
I love Howard and all but I would rather have Rondo and Dwight on the same team. If A team has a future HOF young Center and PG they can fill in the other positions easily on the fly. Not only that people will WANT to join the C's for a long time coming.

So yes im saying we can get rid of PP and KG

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 11:24:59 AM »

Offline Michael Anthony

• Jayson Tatum
I'd like to keep Bradley if trading Rondo.

Bradley (PG), Garnett (PF) and Dwight (C) is a fearsome defensive combination.

Thanks for keeping the thread alive!
"All I have to know is, he's my coach, and I follow his lead. He didn't have to say anything in here this week. We all knew what we had to do. He's a big part of our family, and we're like his extended family. And we did what good families do when one of their own is affected." - Teddy Bruschi

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 11:27:43 AM »

Offline Michael Anthony

• Jayson Tatum
I don't see the point in the threads that show a situation that would never happen.  :P

I love Howard and all but I would rather have Rondo and Dwight on the same team. If A team has a future HOF young Center and PG they can fill in the other positions easily on the fly. Not only that people will WANT to join the C's for a long time coming.

I think most people in the media would agree with you - that the trade would never happen. I guess my position is that it has not even been explored.

Howard grew up watching KG, probably idolized him. As he learned a little more about the league, probably developed an appreciation for Russell too. Has to have respect for Pierce after all these battles, and everyone loves Doc.

The pitch to Dwight is simple. Go to Jersey if you want, but go to Boston if you want to be a legend.

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 11:36:06 AM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
I h'v told days before, in one special topic that IF Cs WANT TO GET THE CHAMPIONSHIP HAS TO SIGN HOWARD. I will send Rondo, in odrer to sign Howard, the best center in last 5 years

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 11:41:30 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

for

Calderon-Terry
Richardson-Pietrus
Pierce-Turkoglu
Garnett-Sullinger
Howard-Stiemsma

Where is Calderon coming from?

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 11:50:34 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

for

I don't think Boston needs to take back all that salary if they are offering up Rondo. They don't need to do that to beat the alternative offers Orlando are getting.

I would be tempted to take Jason Richardson to fill the two guard slot. I worry about matching up salaries though.

PG: Avery Bradley, Jason Terry
SG: (Courtney Lee or Jason Richardson), (name)
C:  Dwight Howard, Fab Melo

Love this idea as a starting lineup with Jason Terry actually playing about 30 mpg off the bench at point guard as "back up" and Avery Bradley playing 12-17 minutes per game or so as "backup" SG mostly alongside Terry.

I don't see how it has the long term prospects enticing enough for Dwight to extend long term.  I could see him signing a 3 year extension though, which would be enough for me to sign off on it.  Then he can move on to a new contending window and we can rebuild from scratch, but whatever, we've got a really solid chance these 3 years.

As a side note:  I don't understand why these superstars don't sign shorter term contracts/extensions more often, like Chris Paul did, to keep their options open...  A Rudy Gay, Joe Johnson, or Michael Redd I can understand wanting the full years, but a Lebron, or Dirk, or Kobe, or Dwight really should consider taking less years to keep their options open.  They are still guaranteed to get the max money when their contracts are up and can always just extend where they are if they want.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 12:02:09 PM »

Offline BostonNative

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 14

I think most people in the media would agree with you - that the trade would never happen. I guess my position is that it has not even been explored.

Howard grew up watching KG, probably idolized him. As he learned a little more about the league, probably developed an appreciation for Russell too. Has to have respect for Pierce after all these battles, and everyone loves Doc.

The pitch to Dwight is simple. Go to Jersey if you want, but go to Boston if you want to be a legend.
then once Kg and PP retire he is back in the Orlando situation. Howard would not be happy in boston for long lol. I don't see suscess in not having a point guard of the future. I also do not want this to happen because i don't want to be the heat. I don't want to sign already made all-stars and make my team feel fake. I want the C's to be made into a dynasty the right way.

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 12:29:34 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
Well KG and Pierce probably play 3-5 more years if they are playing with Dwight and winning titles.

I'd do something like Rondo & some some picks for Dwight. But otherwise salaries won't match until recently signed guys become trade-able (would have to send Rondo, JJJ, Moore, Williams, and S&T Dooling.)

SG becomes a challenge in that situation, as there would be no hope of adding anyone but a BAE guy. If you could get Lee for the BAE you'd be in business.

AB, Lee, Pierce, KG, Dwight

with Terry, Green, Bass & Sully as your 9 man rotation. KG would shift to Center when Dwight was out, and you'd limit the amount of time you had a two PF lineup (Sully at C and Bass at PF.) Melo, a wing, and a PG get you to your 12 man rotation.

Alternatively if that trade happened today - maybe Ray Allen decided to resign with BOS, since his relationship with Rondo is a non-issue and he'd be assured a starting job, and the C's would be better positioned for a championship run.

AB, Ray, Pierce, KG, Dwight - offense would run through KG and Pierce a lot, but with Terry off the bench, I think that's OK.

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 12:53:04 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
I don't believe Bass can be traded back to Orlando until December b/c we got him from Orlando less then a year ago. Also Green can't be Sign and traded.

Any trade with Rondo I would like Nelson back, but I don't know what his salary with Orlando will be.

Rondo, Bradley, Fab, Moore, JJJ, Sullinger and Joseph (I think) are the only guys we could trade. Besides Dooling in a Sign and Trade. The rookies can't be traded for a month though if I remember right.

So Dwight, Jameer, and J Rich
for
Rondo, Bradley, Fab, Moore, JJJ, Sullinger, Joseph, and Dooling in a S+T to make the numbers work. Also we would need to put in picks.

I only do this with a Howard extension though.

Nelson, J Rich, Pierce, KG, and Dwight as your 5 man lineup.
Bench - Terry, Green, Bass and a lot of Vet. Min. Players.

That being said I think too many people are expecting Dwight BACK (lol) at full strength. His injury is no joke at all.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 01:48:00 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 447
You know, this is actually a brilliant post, TP.

The reason I say that is because if you look at what's out there and what is "currently" being offered for Howard right now there isn't really a better package that Orlando could get than what Boston could possibly offer in a package that includes Rondo.

I believe that any GM worth half his salary would consider Rondo a single more valuable player than either Andrew Bynum or Brook Lopez.

1. I've said this before multiple times but will say it again after being inspired by the OP - Andrew Bynum is a 7 foot juvenile who's made of glass, has played "one" healthy season and has a screw loose somewhere. He's also a very low character kid on the court whose made some real cheap shot plays on guys. As a smart GM, you simply cannot count on building "anything" around a guy like that. Not to mention he's already said he has no interest in resigning with them.

2. Brook Lopez is actually a better option than Bynum because he is a high character guy who puts up "good numbers". He's soft and he's not a "dominant" player but you can cover his softness by adding "tough guys" around him at the PF and SF slots as well as back up center...

Now we come to Rondo. The rule says if you are going to trade a superstar get a superstar in return and one who will stay.

1. Rondo is tied for another 3 years at a very favorable price.

2. He is a proven all star and a top three player at his position in the league ( I actually rate him #1 at his position) based on his all around abilities and not just because he is a Celtic.       

3. He's a champion and a proven "big game player" who's put up legendary numbers when it matters most. That cannot be said of either Bynum or Lopez.

4. You cna build a team around Rondo - he brings great toughness and championship pedigree.

5. If we put together the following package:

Rondo, Melo, Sullinger (if we had to) and some draft picks for:
Howard, Jason Richardson and Kyle O'Quinn

I don't see how Orlando could pass that deal up versus what is currently on the table for them - they would be absolutely stupid to do so.   

Look at their young team:

Melo / Sullinger
Nicholson / Davis
Turkoglu /
Redick
Rondo /

They could then focus on cleaning up Turk and Big baby, trying to move them for different pieces or picks.

Turk has two years left so next year he could be a valuable trade asset as an expiring.

Big baby does not have a massive contract - maybe you could move him for a few second round picks if you want him gone.

Redick comes off after this season...

Meanwhile, the key for me with Orlando, is a young nucleus of Melo, Sullinger, Nicholson and Rondo. I think Nicholson will be an offensive stud at PF and and if melo becomes a solid defensive center, you've got a great 1/2 punch in the front court with offense and defense complimenting each other. Sullinger is extra juice and Rondo can lead them.

That team could be a couple smart moves and 2-3 years away from becoming very good long term.

For the Celtics, if you're bringing back KG and Pierce and it's all about titles, you do this deal to try and win now.

Howard / Steamer / whoever
KG / Bass / O'Quinn / JJJ
Pierce / Jeff Green
Richardson / Courtney Lee? / Kris Joseph
Bradley / Moore / Dooling

* We probably have to go get a vet back up point.
* Kyle O'Quinn is the sleepr in this deal for me. I think he will be much better than people expect in this league.

KG has a field day shooting jumper with Howard on the block.

Of course the canary in the coal mine is that in today's NBA players have preplanned slumber parties of where they want to sleep and who they want to play with.

If you're Orlando you do that deal with Boston. If you're Boston you also do the deal, but only if Howard will sign a minimum of a three year deal top match KG and Pierce.

it's a shorter term proposition for Boston but if the goal is to win rings, Howard, KG, Pierce, Richardson or Courtney Lee and Bradley would be an incredibly tough out.       

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2012, 01:49:17 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 447
And I'm not saying "I necessarily" want to trade Rondo for Howard. I go back and forth on Howard and his prima donna attitude.

But hypothetically speaking, it's a very interesting proposition.

Again, very astute OP.