Author Topic: Idea: Big Al Jefferson  (Read 8796 times)

Re: Idea: Big Al Jefferson
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2012, 08:33:25 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
No way.

I loved loved loved AJ when he was here but he still hasnt grown up or matured his game. He will never fit in on defense. He is a talented offensive player, thats about it. Wherever he goes his team does poorly, luckily the Jazz had enough talent this year to finally fix that. He will always be the number one or two option on a poor team, dont let the numbers fool you.

« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2012, 08:43:23 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
No way.

I loved loved loved AJ when he was here but he still hasnt grown up or matured his game. He will never fit in on defense. He is a talented offensive player, thats about it. Wherever he goes his team does poorly, luckily the Jazz had enough talent this year to finally fix that. He will always be the number one or two option on a poor team, dont let the numbers fool you.

I agree.  AJ development has been disappointing.  It hurts to say it but we can do better than AJ.

« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2012, 08:50:25 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I've always viewed Al Jefferson as an inferior version of Carlos Boozer.  I would only embrace going after Jefferson if I would be enthusiastic about obtaining Boozer if he were available.  And I'm not.

And since when did Boozer all of a sudden became better than Big Al?

Um, always?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2012, 06:59:25 AM »

Offline tyrone biggums

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
The issue with Big Al is that he plays matador defense, allowing players to score at will (which is why Favors and Kanters will be playing over him in Utah this year). Hes not a building block but if you can get him for one of the first rounders I don't really see why you wouldn't do it. If for no other reason I wouldn't have to read 70 more threads about how the Celtics need Big Al back.

But I think they should look at all options for a big man before settling on Big Al. I would prefer a better defensive option.

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2012, 09:27:21 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I've always viewed Al Jefferson as an inferior version of Carlos Boozer.  I would only embrace going after Jefferson if I would be enthusiastic about obtaining Boozer if he were available.  And I'm not.

Um, always?
Yeah. Seven days a week and twice on Sunday. The love affair with Jefferson's one-dimensional game on this board is one of the blog's most perplexing qualities.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2012, 09:58:14 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I'd like Big Al but he'd just take up too much capspace.
If we got him do we still have two $2.5 million MLE slots?

Millsap would be great and is on literally 60% of Big Al's contract which helps us gather more talent to surround Pierce/KG with. It probably means we could get Green for 4 million and someone like Odom for another 3-4 million, depending on what KG wants.
Hallelujah.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2012, 10:01:25 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367

Um, always?
Yeah. Seven days a week and twice on Sunday. The love affair with Jefferson's one-dimensional game on this board is one of the blog's most perplexing qualities.

Aren't they almost identical? Neither play defense. Both amazing scorers. Booze is older and has fallen off but at their best they're similar.

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2012, 10:39:26 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Statistically, Boozer has the edge in shooting percentage, rebounding, and assists.  He's probably also the better defender.  Jefferson has the edge in shot-blocking and minutes (and youth).  He also scores more per game because he takes more shots.

I'd guess that Boozer will remain the somewhat better player over the next two seasons.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2012, 10:49:52 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Statistically, Boozer has the edge in shooting percentage, rebounding, and assists.  He's probably also the better defender.  Jefferson has the edge in shot-blocking and minutes (and youth).  He also scores more per game because he takes more shots.

I'd guess that Boozer will remain the somewhat better player over the next two seasons.
http://bkref.com/tiny/1ltuB

I don't think Boozer is better than Jefferson anymore. They're now equivalent rebounders (both 16% TRB), defensive liabilities, and offensive players.

Boozer uses 18.8 possesions per 36 to generate 18.3 points and 2.3 assists

Jefferson uses 20.66 possessions per 36 to generate 20.3 points and 2.3 assists.