Ray for Hinrich, Salmons, Ty Thomas
Ray for Dunleavy and Murphy
Ray, Giddens, Walker for Curry, Jeffries, Douglas, Gallinari
Ray and Walker for Butler, Miller, Blatche
Ray and Baby for Jameson, Foye, Blatche
Ray and Baby for Maggette, Turiaf, Randolph, Bell
Ray and 1st for Martin and Nocioni
Ray and Scal for Kirilenko, Brewer, Korver
Ewww, none of the above, thanks (the early favorite)
Other (list below)

Author Topic: Ray Allen Trade Ideas  (Read 8144 times)

Ray Allen Trade Ideas
« on: January 23, 2010, 07:29:06 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Several Ray-related threads going.

Could someone who is A) more familiar with the trade checker, and B) knows how to use make the poll think work create a "hypothetical trades for Ray" thread?  It seems like many folks would get misty eyed, but let him go for the right pieces, and there are quite a few possible scenarios.  Since he's at the end of the trail, financially strapped teams are likely targets...

Alright. I'll mess around and try to create some trades involving Ray as the centerpiece from the Celtics. Mostly, I've tried to:

-Make sure the other team has a vested interest in shedding salary next season and would actually consider such a trade.

-Make sure there is some rationale for why the Celtics might make such a trade, involving this year and the next 3 seasons as well (as the summer of 2012 is the next possible time we could be major free agent players; Pierce and perk will have new deals and KG and Sheed will have expired. http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=33584.msg648374#msg648374)

The general idea behind these ideas is a "Nomar for Orlando and Doug" type trade.
Not everyone will agree that each trade satisfies those criteria, but oh well. It's just for fun.

Ray for Prince and Hamilton
Obviously only if Prince is expected to heal before the playoffs, he'd add a decent defender off the bench and would be an expiring next year. we'd let all our other expirings go this offseason and end up with a similar payroll next season as this one. Hamilton can reproduce a lot of what Ray does. Major negative is his contract though.

Ray and Scal for Iggy and Dalembert
Philly's been trying to move Dalembert for a while. Iguodala is a GREAT defender and athlete; and young to boot. But there are rumors Philly would move him to move Dalembert. His contract does go past the potential free agency target. Dalembert could be a useful spot shotblocker/rebounder, and would be an expiring contract next year. after we let our other expirings go (I like having expirings around if you can afford them so that you are always in position to take advantage of a Pau situation).

If the Bulls shed Salmons and Hinrich, they would be a legitimate player to add 2 max free agents to a core of Deng, Noah, and Rose. They have to want to do that, right?
Salmons would be an expiring next year, and Hinrich is a nice solid combo guard. Ty Thomas is a great athlete but questionable prospect; however, long term, we could potentially lock him at a deal that ends up being a perk-like below market deal. And all contracts could conceivably expire by the target 2012 if Thomas is not extened more than 2 years.

Gives us a ton of expiring deals next year, prevents Cleveland from adding a deadly 3 point shooter and very good rebounder in Murphy who could really spread the floor from the PF spot and really help our rebounding. Dunleavy has been back for a bit now, and is actually playing close to Ray's current level right now. Major drawback is Dunleavy/Pierce playing the 2 spot and further creating a logjam at PF/C; Dunleavy is an injury risk as well.

Ray, Giddens, Sheldon for Curry, Jeffries, Douglas, Gallinari
Would NY give up Gallinari to be able to get rid of Jeffries and Curry? Doglous is a tough and pretty promising rookie; Gallinari, Douglas, TA, Pierce, And Daniels would form a rotation at the 2/3. Curry and Jeffries would be expiring deals next year; our payroll wouldn't be affected much since Gallinari and Douglas are still on rookie deals next year.

There've been grumblings about Butler and Blatche being dealt. They'd save some dough next year. Miller, if healthy, is a decent Ray replacement; not sure we'd lose much with Butler/Pierce/Miller at the 2/3 over Pierce/Ray. Blatche is a great talent if he matures; worth the risk, I say. He's very young, and people grow up with a change of scenery.

Foye is the SG replacement in this scenario with the C's taking back a worse contract (but a player that still expires in 2012).

Warriors get salary relief. Celtics get a young, talented player. Bell should be back in March. Turiaf's a tough defender. Maggette's an excellent offensive player. His deal is one year longer than I'd like. If we could get Morrow as well (or instead of Bell) that'd be better.

Ray and a 1st for Martin and Nocioni
Predicated on Sac wanting cap space to go for a guy that complements Tyreke Evans better than Martin. Martin is an excellent Ray replacement and Nocioni adds depth.

Ray and Scal for Kirilenko, Korver, Brewer
Brewer is a nice young defender and Korver gives us what we want from the 2 spot. Kirilenko can circulate as a backup defensive forward and will be an expiring contract next year. Utah saves some money this year and gets out of Kirilenko's deal for next year.

Re: Ray Allen Trade Ideas
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 07:37:04 PM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
Ray for Martin Nocioni

or

Ray and Scal for Martin Nocioni and S. Rodriguez to give Sac more incentive w/ adding Scals Contract.

L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 08:12:25 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I should probably have never started with the trade checker sites, but here's a varient combining of a couple of ideas that have been floated before involving New Orleans and Chicago, and predicated on NO flat out dumping salary and the Bulls trying to land Wade this summer:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yj87l24

Our roster would be set for the rest of the KG era with:

Rondo/Collison
Hinrich/Daniels/TA this year, and either next year, but cheap
Pierce/Posey/Bill Walker
KG/Okafor/S.Williams
Perk/Sheed

This would be even less likely than most, since it involves us as buyers, and 2 teams as dumpers, but I doubt there'll be many buyers out there...so...offseason signings be darned, the time to improve the team may be this year's trade deadline.  Our 1st rounder would have to be thrown in there somewhere, too.

**Since most deadline salary dumps are not equal talent-wise, they are less likely to occur within the same conference.  I doubt we make any deals with the Wiz, Phili, or Indiana.

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 09:16:57 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I would consider a lot of these, and I think most of them could be realistic if teams get desperate.  My favorite though, is the Bulls trade.  I have always been a Hinrich fan, and I think he would be great coming off the bench for us with Salmons starting.  But mostly, I do that deal for Tyrus Thomas.  Yeah, he is immature, and at times, his BBIQ makes Tony Allen look like Larry Bird, but this team really could use another long, athletic big man, who can guard guys on the perimeter.  If we end up playing Atlanta or Orlando, Thomas would be huge, and if KG goes down, he would be infinitely more valuable. 

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 10:35:47 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Several Ray-related threads going.

Could someone who is A) more familiar with the trade checker, and B) knows how to use make the poll think work create a "hypothetical trades for Ray" thread?  It seems like many folks would get misty eyed, but let him go for the right pieces, and there are quite a few possible scenarios.  Since he's at the end of the trail, financially strapped teams are likely targets...

Alright. I'll mess around and try to create some trades involving Ray as the centerpiece from the Celtics. Mostly, I've tried to:

-Make sure the other team has a vested interest in shedding salary next season and would actually consider such a trade.

-Make sure there is some rationale for why the Celtics might make such a trade, involving this year and the next 3 seasons as well (as the summer of 2012 is the next possible time we could be major free agent players; Pierce and perk will have new deals and KG and Sheed will have expired. http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=33584.msg648374#msg648374)

The general idea behind these ideas is a "Nomar for Orlando and Doug" type trade.
Not everyone will agree that each trade satisfies those criteria, but oh well. It's just for fun.

Ray for Prince and Hamilton
Obviously only if Prince is expected to heal before the playoffs, he'd add a decent defender off the bench and would be an expiring next year. we'd let all our other expirings go this offseason and end up with a similar payroll next season as this one. Hamilton can reproduce a lot of what Ray does. Major negative is his contract though.

Ray and Scal for Iggy and Dalembert
Philly's been trying to move Dalembert for a while. Iguodala is a GREAT defender and athlete; and young to boot. But there are rumors Philly would move him to move Dalembert. His contract does go past the potential free agency target. Dalembert could be a useful spot shotblocker/rebounder, and would be an expiring contract next year. after we let our other expirings go (I like having expirings around if you can afford them so that you are always in position to take advantage of a Pau situation).

If the Bulls shed Salmons and Hinrich, they would be a legitimate player to add 2 max free agents to a core of Deng, Noah, and Rose. They have to want to do that, right?
Salmons would be an expiring next year, and Hinrich is a nice solid combo guard. Ty Thomas is a great athlete but questionable prospect; however, long term, we could potentially lock him at a deal that ends up being a perk-like below market deal. And all contracts could conceivably expire by the target 2012 if Thomas is not extened more than 2 years.

Gives us a ton of expiring deals next year, prevents Cleveland from adding a deadly 3 point shooter and very good rebounder in Murphy who could really spread the floor from the PF spot and really help our rebounding. Dunleavy has been back for a bit now, and is actually playing close to Ray's current level right now. Major drawback is Dunleavy/Pierce playing the 2 spot and further creating a logjam at PF/C; Dunleavy is an injury risk as well.

Ray, Giddens, Sheldon for Curry, Jeffries, Douglas, Gallinari
Would NY give up Gallinari to be able to get rid of Jeffries and Curry? Doglous is a tough and pretty promising rookie; Gallinari, Douglas, TA, Pierce, And Daniels would form a rotation at the 2/3. Curry and Jeffries would be expiring deals next year; our payroll wouldn't be affected much since Gallinari and Douglas are still on rookie deals next year.

There've been grumblings about Butler and Blatche being dealt. They'd save some dough next year. Miller, if healthy, is a decent Ray replacement; not sure we'd lose much with Butler/Pierce/Miller at the 2/3 over Pierce/Ray. Blatche is a great talent if he matures; worth the risk, I say. He's very young, and people grow up with a change of scenery.

Foye is the SG replacement in this scenario with the C's taking back a worse contract (but a player that still expires in 2012).

Warriors get salary relief. Celtics get a young, talented player. Bell should be back in March. Turiaf's a tough defender. Maggette's an excellent offensive player. His deal is one year longer than I'd like. If we could get Morrow as well (or instead of Bell) that'd be better.

Ray and a 1st for Martin and Nocioni
Predicated on Sac wanting cap space to go for a guy that complements Tyreke Evans better than Martin. Martin is an excellent Ray replacement and Nocioni adds depth.

Ray and Scal for Kirilenko, Korver, Brewer
Brewer is a nice young defender and Korver gives us what we want from the 2 spot. Kirilenko can circulate as a backup defensive forward and will be an expiring contract next year. Utah saves some money this year and gets out of Kirilenko's deal for next year.

Great ideas.  My favorite is the Philly one.  I'd kill to get Iggy, even if it means paying Dalembert $1 mil per MPG. 

Why does Philly hate Dalembert so much btw?  Monster rebounder and shotblocker, good finisher: there could be worse players to pay that money to.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 12:17:23 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
(1) Ray for Prince and Rip
(2) Ray for Hinrich, Salmons and Tyrus
(3) Ray for Dunleavy and Murphy
(4) Ray and change for Curry, Jeffries, Gallo
(5) Ray and BBD for Jamison, Foye, Blatche
(6) Ray for AK-47 and parts

I think each of those six trade proposals is realistic and has a good chance of happening if Danny Ainge wished to pursue them.

As for my interest in them, I'd rule out the following and go from there

I'm uncertain about the remaining three. There is some interest but also an awful lot of money on the table. I'm not sure whether I'd be willing to make those deals or not, it's borderline.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 01:50:28 AM by Who »

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 12:27:33 AM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
didnt know ray was worth 2 to 3 playas alone

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 11:03:32 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I've been poking around a few of these ideas over the last couple of weeks. The problem with the iggy/ delambert, rip / prince (which I don't favor) and curry / jeffries (i'd want chandler and nate) deals is they really put ownership over the top next year on payroll. If you take them at their word that we're basically maxed out this year, these deals are prohibitive for next year.

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/celtics.jsp

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/sixers.jsp

Take the Phili deal for example. The Cs would be at $90mil for 2010 before signing any replacements for TA, Daniels, Williams, etc, and not including their 1st round pick which will cost an additional $1mil. Even if Pierce restructures at a discount of say $5mil in order to gain more years, it still looks pretty steep.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 12:04:25 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
I've been poking around a few of these ideas over the last couple of weeks. The problem with the iggy/ delambert, rip / prince (which I don't favor) and curry / jeffries (i'd want chandler and nate) deals is they really put ownership over the top next year on payroll. If you take them at their word that we're basically maxed out this year, these deals are prohibitive for next year.

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/celtics.jsp

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/sixers.jsp

Take the Phili deal for example. The Cs would be at $90mil for 2010 before signing any replacements for TA, Daniels, Williams, etc, and not including their 1st round pick which will cost an additional $1mil. Even if Pierce restructures at a discount of say $5mil in order to gain more years, it still looks pretty steep.

You're right, the philly deal, for instance, would really restrict spending the MLE for filling out a depleted bench. However, around draft time in the summer, we'd have Dalembert and Davis both becoming expiring contracts as well as our first rounder; we could probably deal those assets for some wing depth that would leave us with:
Rondo/added player
Iggy/added player
Pierce/Walker
KG/Wallace
Perk/Minimum

that would be pretty close to what we're spending this year. But hey, if Philly was desperate enough to throw Thad Young into the deal for our first this year, that would solve a few problems too.

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 12:22:14 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
didnt know ray was worth 2 to 3 playas alone

Most of those deals are Ray for a player and a salary dump. Many of the players on the list will cost teams to trade them away, not to trade for them.

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 04:54:55 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo

I think each of those six trade proposals is realistic and has a good chance of happening if Danny Ainge wished to pursue them.

I'm uncertain about the remaining three. There is some interest but also an awful lot of money on the table. I'm not sure whether I'd be willing to make those deals or not, it's borderline.

You'd take Curry and Jeffries for Gallo?  Wouldn't that destroy our championship hopes this year?

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 05:02:03 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406

You'd take Curry and Jeffries for Gallo?  Wouldn't that destroy our championship hopes this year?
I don't think so but I seem to rate Gallinari higher than most both in terms of current ability + potential.

I think he can replace most of Ray's offensive production, while supplying superior rebounding, but lacking in defense. Although, if Ray continues to play D like he has over the last six weeks then this is a much smaller issue than it once was.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 05:35:19 PM by Who »

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 06:10:19 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
By the way, there's no reason to trade Ray to get Maggette. You could send expiring deals for him, and likely get Morrow, Watson or Randolph in the process.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2010, 06:28:23 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo

I don't think so but I seem to rate Gallinari higher than most both in terms of current ability + potential.

I think he can replace most of Ray's offensive production, while supplying superior rebounding, but lacking in defense. Although, if Ray continues to play D like he has over the last six weeks then this is a much smaller issue than it once was.

I agree that he could approximate Ray's offensive production right now, but I don't think the C's could get away with Pierce and Gallo at the 2/3.  Quicker guards would really hurt us.

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 06:34:06 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
By the way, there's no reason to trade Ray to get Maggette. You could send expiring deals for him, and likely get Morrow, Watson or Randolph in the process.

That may have been true last year, but you really need to check out Maggette's numbers this year.   He's leading the league in true shooting % (a measure accounting for 3s and FTs) right now, just a hair above Perkins, while scoring 20 a game. 

If Golden St. moves him, I'm pretty sure they'll demand that the other team takes Radmanovic off their hands as well and that requires a Ray Allen sized expiring.