Author Topic: NBA Lottery: Tues 8:30 PM EST on ESPN  (Read 28225 times)

Re: NBA Lottery: Tues 8:30 PM EST on ESPN
« Reply #300 on: May 14, 2019, 11:40:56 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
I'm surprised about how little talk there's been about the Memphis pick.

I feel like Memphis moving up is bad for the C's. Them having the 8th pick was perfect. It didn't convey but wasn't good enough to improve their team to the point that it might hurt their future pick. Now, with another #2, they might be able to improve.

Maybe the positive version of this is that they are now more likely to fully invest in a rebuild and that usually takes a long time?

Way too many variables to matter at this point, imo. Not worth spending the brain cells going down the rabbit hole.

« Reply #301 on: May 14, 2019, 11:48:39 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I feel like Memphis moving up is bad for the C's. Them having the 8th pick was perfect. It didn't convey but wasn't good enough to improve their team to the point that it might hurt their future pick. Now, with another #2, they might be able to improve.

Maybe the positive version of this is that they are now more likely to fully invest in a rebuild and that usually takes a long time?

A few things to consider - they'll take Morant or Barrett and rookie guards don't always come out blazing their rookie year.

Even if whoever they take at #2 is good right away, I don't expect them to have a greater immediate impact on winning than Mike Conley did last season and he was a 21pt/6ast, two way guard with great leadership.

Memphis still has significant roster flaws that won't be glossed over by a rookie.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #302 on: May 14, 2019, 11:56:35 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Gotta remember, if you wanted the pick not to convey this year, then Memphis had to move up. The Lakers were already revealed to move up from the 11th slot. So if Memphis didn't move up, Memphis would have sat at 9th and the pick would have been the Celtics. Moving up was necessary if you indeed want that 2021 pick from Memphis to be unprotected.

« Reply #303 on: May 15, 2019, 01:17:08 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

Gotta remember, if you wanted the pick not to convey this year, then Memphis had to move up. The Lakers were already revealed to move up from the 11th slot. So if Memphis didn't move up, Memphis would have sat at 9th and the pick would have been the Celtics. Moving up was necessary if you indeed want that 2021 pick from Memphis to be unprotected.

I also think it MAYBE helps us anyway being at 2. Assuming most people see Morant as the guy that could encourage the Griz to look into a Conley trade in order to hand the keys over to their shiny new PG. As much as I like Morant Conley was the only thing keeping that team afloat last year, and young PG's are often the slowest position to develop. So it could certainly hurt them enough last year that they are bottom 6. Beyond that its all just guessing what they will be in 2021.

« Reply #304 on: May 15, 2019, 01:47:02 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Why don't Boston just trade Brown/Tatum/Smart/Yabusele/4 picks for Pelicans' #1 pick instead of Anthony Davis?

Never thought of that!  ;D

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #305 on: May 15, 2019, 07:10:04 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
A Knicks offer of #3 for Anthony Davis is an attractive proposal. I'd rather have RJ Barrett than Tatum or Jaylen myself. I'd happily make that swap if it was on the table for Boston.

I think the Knicks have the best individual piece on the board with that #3 pick. Boston though still have the best depth of assets to make a larger more attractive overall proposal.

« Reply #306 on: May 15, 2019, 07:28:36 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
A Knicks offer of #3 for Anthony Davis is an attractive proposal. I'd rather have RJ Barrett than Tatum or Jaylen myself. I'd happily make that swap if it was on the table for Boston.

I think the Knicks have the best individual piece on the board with that #3 pick. Boston though still have the best depth of assets to make a larger more attractive overall proposal.

RJ is is known to be ball hog with poor outside shooting. And we're not sure yet if his game will fully translate surely in the NBA. At least Tatum and Brown are proven NBA talents.

« Reply #307 on: May 15, 2019, 07:38:08 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

RJ is is known to be ball hog with poor outside shooting. And we're not sure yet if his game will fully translate surely in the NBA. At least Tatum and Brown are proven NBA talents.
His 3P% is quite a big concern, as is his free throw shooting. He also seemed to me to get quite lazy on defence.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #308 on: May 15, 2019, 09:06:52 AM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
Some positives that I came away with from last night:

- The Celtics dodged a bullet with Memphis jumping to #2. Because the Lakers had jumped, otherwise Memphis would have conveyed their pick to us at #9. Now, they'll get a chance at a great guard prospect, which might nudge them to trade Conley and invest in the youth movement. I don't expect them to be good, regardless. Gotta be excited about that Memphis pick either next year or the year after.
- Don't mind the Pelicans landing #1. If you're AD, are you really changing your mind about leaving because of the opportunity to play with a 19-year-old phenom? Those two are on two different timelines. Not saying Griffin can't pull it off, but the odds are stacked against him. The Pelicans now have a chance to take Zion and whatever else they can get from an AD and instantly reboot their franchise. This was a "get of AD free" card, in that they're guaranteed to put butts in seats next season no matter what.
- Are you scared of the Lakers packaging #4 and whatever else to land AD? I'm not. That Ingram medical issue is huge from my perspective. And never underestimate the power of a spurned owner. No matter who the GM is, they'll search far and wide before dealing with the Lakers after last season's fiasco.
- Similarly, do you think the Knicks #3 plus Kevin Knox beats whatever the Celtics can put together? Yeah, me neither.

I still think the most likely outcome of this summer is that Kyrie re-signs and the Celtics trade for AD.

« Reply #309 on: May 15, 2019, 09:09:12 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Some positives that I came away with from last night:

- The Celtics dodged a bullet with Memphis jumping to #2. Because the Lakers had jumped, otherwise Memphis would have conveyed their pick to us at #9. Now, they'll get a chance at a great guard prospect, which might nudge them to trade Conley and invest in the youth movement. I don't expect them to be good, regardless. Gotta be excited about that Memphis pick either next year or the year after.
- Don't mind the Pelicans landing #1. If you're AD, are you really changing your mind about leaving because of the opportunity to play with a 19-year-old phenom? Those two are on two different timelines. Not saying Griffin can't pull it off, but the odds are stacked against him. The Pelicans now have a chance to take Zion and whatever else they can get from an AD and instantly reboot their franchise. This was a "get of AD free" card, in that they're guaranteed to put butts in seats next season no matter what.
- Are you scared of the Lakers packaging #4 and whatever else to land AD? I'm not. That Ingram medical issue is huge from my perspective. And never underestimate the power of a spurned owner. No matter who the GM is, they'll search far and wide before dealing with the Lakers after last season's fiasco.
- Similarly, do you think the Knicks #3 plus Kevin Knox beats whatever the Celtics can put together? Yeah, me neither.

I still think the most likely outcome of this summer is that Kyrie re-signs and the Celtics trade for AD.
Like your optimism. TP.

« Reply #310 on: May 15, 2019, 10:06:22 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

so some rookie guard who plays for an unknown school in some unknown conference is going to propel Memphis to be better than which team? The warriors? Rockets? The nuggets? Clippers?

« Reply #311 on: May 15, 2019, 10:08:23 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

so some rookie guard who plays for an unknown school in some unknown conference is going to propel Memphis to be better than which team? The warriors? Rockets? The nuggets? Clippers?

Yeah, I think this (Memphis pick rolling over) is the only silver lining last night.

« Reply #312 on: May 15, 2019, 10:24:10 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

The pick is top 6 protected next year and they were the 8th worst team in the league.  They don't really have to improve all that much for them to deliver a worse pick next year and it appears there are still going to be a lot of pretty bad teams out there. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #313 on: May 15, 2019, 01:32:46 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81

Yeah, I think this (Memphis pick rolling over) is the only silver lining last night.

We've seen how the allure of possibility raises the perceived value of some picks. 

With Memphis on a downturn, that pick's value is now elevated to the same value as Tatum and Brown, in my opinion. 

I think Danny offers a choice of two-of-three from amongst Tatum, Brown, and the Memphis pick.

If it were the 10th pick in this year's draft (assuming Lakers and Pels were only teams to move up) I don't think that has the same allure as a possible unprotected pick in 2021 or even the #7 pick in 2020 (of course #7 is best case scenario, but that's how you sell it).

I LOVE that the Memphis pick didn't convey.  I was so bummed with NO moved up, but then when Memphis' card wasnt' shown a few cards later I was elated!

« Reply #314 on: May 15, 2019, 04:01:40 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

The pick is top 6 protected next year and they were the 8th worst team in the league.  They don't really have to improve all that much for them to deliver a worse pick next year and it appears there are still going to be a lot of pretty bad teams out there.

They have Jaren Jackson and now this #2 pick. They also have Conley and can get an asset for him. What if next season is bad enough they keep the pick again but Ja Morant is awesome and JJ looks good. Midseason, they nab someone terrific and would go into the 2020-21 season with a great young core that is fighting for a playoff spot. That was my worry.

But the consensus I'm seeing is people think Memphis getting #2 means they will hard tank and that's good for the C's.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008