Author Topic: NBA Season 2018 - 2019  (Read 202898 times)

Re: NBA Season 2018 - 2019
« Reply #660 on: December 10, 2018, 10:46:01 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Craptors lost...Bucks gained though.

Does anyone else feel that we are atleast a notch above both teams?...

atleast the way the cs are playing now I suppose.

The Bucks announcers have a different view. They are always (not just last night) speculating about the upcoming Conference Finals between the two best teams in the East: Toronto and Milwaukee.

They really believe that the winner of the East is going to be decided in the match-up Leonard-Antetokounmpo. They don't even mention Boston as a possibility, which I think is disrespectful.

Especially given that we beat them last year without our two best players, who are now back and finally now rounding into shape.

To be fair, Milwaukee has also attained more talent since then, but any objective analysis clearly favors the Celtics in terms of talent attained from when the two teams met in the playoffs.

And all that is not even mentioning the fact  that the Bucks’ hot start to the season and the Celtics’ mediocre start to the season has only put them two games ahead of us in the loss column, which is pretty telling given how poor we’ve started the season.

They see the Bucks as a totally different team now Budenholzer is running it. Yesterday they called their upcoming reign with Antetokounmpo something as: ,,Fans, get ready for the ride the next 7 years and it ain't going to be bumpy.''

They also named Antetokounmpo the most dominating player in the paint ever.

I wonder what he would've looked like in the 90's. With old defense rules, he'd have to be played straight-up more or double teamed and he's an excellent passer. He could've destroyed teams.

On the other hand, there would've been more, bigger players hanging around the rim to give him trouble.
Giannis would have been absolutely hammered whenever he went into the paint and would never have gotten so many ticky tack fouls called his way. Also, his traveling antics would be called.

Maybe he would still be a freak and absolutely great. But he would need to get a lot tougher, that's for sure.
I mean could you imagine the old style players actually trying to guard him.  I mean seriously who the heck could have guarded him in the 80's.  I mean that seriously.  He is too big and strong for a normal 80's SF, and he is way too fast and athletic for a normal 90's PF.  I suppose Rodman would have made him work, but there really aren't many players in that era that would have had any real shot at guarding him.  So sure, he wasn't strong enough to play down low, but it wouldn't have mattered as no one could guard him.

McHale.

« Reply #661 on: December 10, 2018, 10:49:06 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
The Lakers have missed a half dozen layups early...

« Reply #662 on: December 10, 2018, 10:50:03 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

The Bucks announcers have a different view. They are always (not just last night) speculating about the upcoming Conference Finals between the two best teams in the East: Toronto and Milwaukee.

They really believe that the winner of the East is going to be decided in the match-up Leonard-Antetokounmpo. They don't even mention Boston as a possibility, which I think is disrespectful.

Especially given that we beat them last year without our two best players, who are now back and finally now rounding into shape.

To be fair, Milwaukee has also attained more talent since then, but any objective analysis clearly favors the Celtics in terms of talent attained from when the two teams met in the playoffs.

And all that is not even mentioning the fact  that the Bucks’ hot start to the season and the Celtics’ mediocre start to the season has only put them two games ahead of us in the loss column, which is pretty telling given how poor we’ve started the season.

They see the Bucks as a totally different team now Budenholzer is running it. Yesterday they called their upcoming reign with Antetokounmpo something as: ,,Fans, get ready for the ride the next 7 years and it ain't going to be bumpy.''

I wonder what he would've looked like in the 90's. With old defense rules, he'd have to be played straight-up more or double teamed and he's an excellent passer. He could've destroyed teams.

On the other hand, there would've been more, bigger players hanging around the rim to give him trouble.
Giannis would have been absolutely hammered whenever he went into the paint and would never have gotten so many ticky tack fouls called his way. Also, his traveling antics would be called.

Maybe he would still be a freak and absolutely great. But he would need to get a lot tougher, that's for sure.
I mean could you imagine the old style players actually trying to guard him.  I mean seriously who the heck could have guarded him in the 80's.  I mean that seriously.  He is too big and strong for a normal 80's SF, and he is way too fast and athletic for a normal 90's PF.  I suppose Rodman would have made him work, but there really aren't many players in that era that would have had any real shot at guarding him.  So sure, he wasn't strong enough to play down low, but it wouldn't have mattered as no one could guard him.

McHale.
Not sure he really had the speed, even before the foot problems, but he certainly would have been better than most.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #663 on: December 10, 2018, 10:52:36 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

the paint would have been packed more back then since the 3 was not the primary offensive threat that it is today so less spacing results in more defenders around to help.  Bucks had Bob Lanier at center back then - do you think they'd be pulling him out from around the basket for Giannis?  not likely.   

there were no players driving to the lane from the 3 point line like Giannis does simply because most of the players were around the lane/basket.  as a SF in that time, he'd also have to have a better shot than he does currently.  he also wouldn't be getting the superstar treatment that didn't really come along until after Bird and Magic retired and the league had to promote Jordan as its primary star

he'd still be something to see in that timeframe but I don't think he'd be dominant.

« Reply #664 on: December 10, 2018, 10:53:18 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

McHale.
Not sure he really had the speed, even before the foot problems, but he certainly would have been better than most.

Before McHale played on those broken feet he could guard almost anyone. He had to guard anyone Bird couldn't. Great defender. All-Defensive First Team (1986, '87, '88) All- Defensive Second Team (1983, '89, '90)

« Reply #665 on: December 10, 2018, 10:56:33 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

You really think McHale couldn't guard him? Pippen? Oakley? Moncrief? I completely disagree with you. People could guard Magic well. And with the non-emphasis on three pointers and pace and space, the paint would have been very crowded.

« Reply #666 on: December 10, 2018, 10:59:23 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

You really think McHale couldn't guard him? Pippen? Oakley? Moncrief? I completely disagree with you. People could guard Magic well. And with the non-emphasis on three pointers and pace and space, the paint would have been very crowded.

The real question is who could guard McHale in the modern NBA?

« Reply #667 on: December 10, 2018, 11:09:17 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Pat Riley really did a bad job putting together this over priced Heat team.

« Reply #668 on: December 10, 2018, 11:40:10 PM »

Kiorrik

MIN @GSW... 4 blatant non-calls. The announcers saying "they could’ve called a foul but let them play instead" is like saying "they could’ve followed the rules but decided not to". This kinda thing matters.

They're down only 6 points.

This is a huge part of why I stopped watching the NBA.

« Reply #669 on: December 10, 2018, 11:55:09 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
MIN @GSW... 4 blatant non-calls. The announcers saying "they could’ve called a foul but let them play instead" is like saying "they could’ve followed the rules but decided not to". This kinda thing matters.

They're down only 6 points.

This is a huge part of why I stopped watching the NBA.
I don't mind when an officiating squad decides to let the boys play rough. Just be consistent. What is a foul or traveling on one side of the court needs to be the same thing on the other end of the court. Sadly, it often isn't done that way as stars get star treatment and some teams are the darlings of the league and get special treatment.

« Reply #670 on: December 11, 2018, 01:03:50 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

The real question is who could guard McHale in the modern NBA?

Also when people discuss this stuff which era are they playing with the rules from? People would absolutely hammer Giannis when he came into the paint in the old days. I don’t think he could do it quite as much as he does now. Is there handchecking? Also do these guys Oakley, mchale etc get access to first class travel, hotels, training, nutrition? It’s incredible to think how good someone like mchale would have been with access to these things

« Reply #671 on: December 11, 2018, 02:20:02 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Their fans feel different. They are not impressed with the Craptors and said they fear the Celtics more.

« Reply #672 on: December 11, 2018, 02:40:51 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Jimmy butler injured his groin tonight. Note Jimmy is 29. A five year max would sign him through his age 34 season. For comparison deng is 33 now. Noah is 33 now and Rose is 30. Curse of thibs?

« Reply #673 on: December 11, 2018, 02:42:00 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Jimmy butler injured his groin tonight. Note Jimmy is 29. A five year max would sign him through his age 34 season. For comparison deng is 33 now. Noah is 33 now and Rose is 30. Curse of thibs?
Bad look for PBRD

« Reply #674 on: December 11, 2018, 06:37:11 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Bad look for PBRD
PBRD?