Author Topic: I’m Moving On. AD Doesn’t Want BOS & Trading Tatum For A Rental Would Be Idiotic  (Read 28341 times)

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I remember this kind of stories about George. He was a lock to go to LA and yet he stayed in OCK... Let me repeat that PG choose to stay in oklahoma city thunder. And we are having doubts about convincing AD to stay in Boston and compete for the championship the next 6 7 years?

He only stayed in OKC because he didn't want to play with Lebron.

Wait where was this stated?  ???

(I'm not doubting you it's just I had never heard of this as the reason myself)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
He didn't...

Per ESPN The Magazine's Royce Young, George commented on what it's like to play with James in response to criticism that it can be difficult to play alongside Russell Westbrook.

"You could say that about a lot of guys," George said. "LeBron is the best player in our league, but some people have a hard time playing with him. One thing you can't say about Russ is that he's not ready or he's not prepared. That's him every night."

Offline CelticsQuestFor18

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
Maybe we have to realize we're just not entirely there yet as a team and so trading for AD is not our wise move long term because of that. I don't know if this team as constructed, minus Tatum, Grizzlies Pick + more picks and 1-2 other players, plus AD is reaching the Finals still.

I don't blame Danny for making any short-sighted moves at the deadline but the truth is the rest of the East did get better and we seem to be dealing with some internal issues ourselves at the moment.

We're still a great team. But our thinking was we're a team that's just an AD away from winning Banner 18, but that may not actually be true (yet).

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
He didn't...

Per ESPN The Magazine's Royce Young, George commented on what it's like to play with James in response to criticism that it can be difficult to play alongside Russell Westbrook.

"You could say that about a lot of guys," George said. "LeBron is the best player in our league, but some people have a hard time playing with him. One thing you can't say about Russ is that he's not ready or he's not prepared. That's him every night."

That's what I thought. I believed it had to more to do with Paul George liking his fit better with OKC and also him having a bit of a dreadful feeling after his last postseason run against Utah (and his bad Game 6). The way George has been playing now (MVP-caliber), you can feel he wants to redeem himself in the playoffs and maybe even help OKC go on a deep run acting like the "Durant of OKC"

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
How much of this is AD, and how much of this is Rich Paul trying to steer AD to his buddy lebron and away from boston though??

Hard to believe if AD is really about competing for a championship that he would want to leave the celtics if they retain Kyrie Irving and they go deep in the playoffs next year/make a finals run.

This is all about an agent looking out for his #1 client Lebron James and not necessarily for his other client Anthony Davis. Lebron/Rich paul KNOW that once this gets to summer, the Celtics and other teams have much better offers out there. This was a sabotage campaign.

Offline CelticsQuestFor18

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
How much of this is AD, and how much of this is Rich Paul trying to steer AD to his buddy lebron and away from boston though??

Hard to believe if AD is really about competing for a championship that he would want to leave the celtics if they retain Kyrie Irving and they go deep in the playoffs next year/make a finals run.

This is all about an agent looking out for his #1 client Lebron James and not necessarily for his other client Anthony Davis. Lebron/Rich paul KNOW that once this gets to summer, the Celtics and other teams have much better offers out there. This was a sabotage campaign.

While the Lakers could still nab him, the problem there for them now is that if they acquire him, they likely can't add that third max-star unless they agree to a deal lower than the max. Sure, they can absorb AD since they have cap space, but they'd probably have less than 30M left to offer while also likely losing their entire young core (Ingram, Kuz, Hart, Ball) + 2019 1st to get him.

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
The more I think about it, the more I feel that if we do lose Kyrie this summer, we're simply better off continuing to build with Tatum, Brown and hopefully 2-3 of Rozier/Williams/Smart/Memphis Pick.

Yeah it would kind of suck and wouldn't be ideal, but it could definitely be a lot worse. Basically go back into a semi-rebuild where we remain a playoff team but maybe not a contender. The hope would be that one of Tatum/Brown takes a big leap while the other at the very least can play close to all-star caliber.

Horford and/or Hayward would come off the books (or opt-out and re-structure) and cap space can get opened up again down the line.

If Kyrie is willing to stay, then certainly I expect Danny (and Kyrie) to make their case/pitch with AD in the summer (before Draft), but otherwise I'm no longer going to lose sleep on this. Whatever happens will happen and we'll just move forward. 

If we keep Kyrie but AD still doesn't want to come here, then just move on and build with Kyrie, Tatum, Brown, etc. and wait to see if another potential star becomes available via trade (nowadays it seems like this happens a lot more often).

No one knows what's going to happen (not even Woj, Jackie Mac, Shams, Windhorst, etc.), so just enjoy the ride for now. Maybe an "underdog mentality" is where we truly thrive like we did last year and we're in that territory now seemingly.

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
The more I think about it, the more I feel that if we do lose Kyrie this summer, we're simply better off continuing to build with Tatum, Brown and hopefully 2-3 of Rozier/Williams/Smart/Memphis Pick.

Yeah it would kind of suck and wouldn't be ideal, but it could definitely be a lot worse. Basically go back into a semi-rebuild where we remain a playoff team but maybe not a contender. The hope would be that one of Tatum/Brown takes a big leap while the other at the very least can play close to all-star caliber.

Horford and/or Hayward would come off the books (or opt-out and re-structure) and cap space can get opened up again down the line.

If Kyrie is willing to stay, then certainly I expect Danny (and Kyrie) to make their case/pitch with AD in the summer (before Draft), but otherwise I'm no longer going to lose sleep on this. Whatever happens will happen and we'll just move forward. 

If we keep Kyrie but AD still doesn't want to come here, then just move on and build with Kyrie, Tatum, Brown, etc. and wait to see if another potential star becomes available via trade (nowadays it seems like this happens a lot more often).

No one knows what's going to happen (not even Woj, Jackie Mac, Shams, Windhorst, etc.), so just enjoy the ride for now. Maybe an "underdog mentality" is where we truly thrive like we did last year and we're in that territory now seemingly.

This is exactly the route we should take if Kyrie leaves us holding the bag. Try and find his replacement, and make the focus on Tatum and Brown. Keep accumulating assets and developing players until the moment when a star is ready.
Don't punt everything for that one star, once we already lost our one star.. I would love to use draft capital and players to take a swing at Wendell Carter Jr if Davis doesn't come here.
#JKJB

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

This is exactly the route we should take if Kyrie leaves us holding the bag. Try and find his replacement, and make the focus on Tatum and Brown. Keep accumulating assets and developing players until the moment when a star is ready.
Don't punt everything for that one star, once we already lost our one star.. I would love to use draft capital and players to take a swing at Wendell Carter Jr if Davis doesn't come here.

This will be a vital and interesting summer overall, as we'll have a lot more clarity on things after July I imagine.

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

This will be a vital and interesting summer overall, as we'll have a lot more clarity on things after July I imagine.
I feel like this sense of gloom and doom around our team is directly related to the uncertain future ahead of us. Once the team heads down a path, everything should fall into place.
#JKJB

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
On or before draft night we will find out if we have Davis and Kyrie. If it is announced we are drafting for another team on draft night, that means the Davis deal is done and will be completed later in the summer. And if Davis is coming, it's a guarantee Kyrie is back.

Now if the Davis deal isn't done, I think Kyrie still signs. The growth of Brown's, Williams', Tatum's and Hayward's game alone to add to the same basic team as this year would be enough for Boston to still be considered a contender while adding more high end youth. Or using those pick's to bring in another player. Boston is still in play as Kyrie's most likely landing spot.

If both Davis and Kyrie are not here, you re-sign Rozier and play the team that made it to the 2017 ECF's only having Hayward instead of Morris and Williams instead of Theis. And you have a ton of youth behind them.

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Is Rozier a restricted or unrestricted free agent?

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Is Rozier a restricted or unrestricted free agent?
Restricted

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
On or before draft night we will find out if we have Davis and Kyrie. If it is announced we are drafting for another team on draft night, that means the Davis deal is done and will be completed later in the summer. And if Davis is coming, it's a guarantee Kyrie is back.

Now if the Davis deal isn't done, I think Kyrie still signs. The growth of Brown's, Williams', Tatum's and Hayward's game alone to add to the same basic team as this year would be enough for Boston to still be considered a contender while adding more high end youth. Or using those pick's to bring in another player. Boston is still in play as Kyrie's most likely landing spot.

If both Davis and Kyrie are not here, you re-sign Rozier and play the team that made it to the 2017 ECF's only having Hayward instead of Morris and Williams instead of Theis. And you have a ton of youth behind them.

TP. All this makes sense  ;D

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469

would we be resigning Rozier mainly because of cap reasons, or because he would be the best point guard we could get for our money, or maybe both?  (serious question)