Poll

Which of the following describes you best?

Wait patiently. I have a lot of patience. I hardly note the delay.
1 (2.8%)
I fidget a bit and say to myself, this site takes more time to load than any other I use.
4 (11.1%)
I swear under my breath and silently scream out; why does it take so long to load?!! Why can’t they do anything about it?!!
11 (30.6%)
I go berserk! Swear out loud, yell at my wife and kids. Throw the iPhone on the floor, kick the dog….
2 (5.6%)
I find diversions, e.g., I sing songs, temporarily venture to other web sites, make dinner, figure out my taxes…then, return to the site.
18 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Voting closed: April 05, 2018, 11:54:17 PM

Author Topic: How do you spend your time waiting for this Celtics Blog site to load?  (Read 16992 times)

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Would it ever be possible to separate the forum from the SB Nation site?  I.e. Export all the forum data and port it over to a freestanding forum site?  That might require a bit of capital to do.  I for one wouldn't mind a one time shared fee for all of us to allow the forum to be disconnected from SB nation.  Say if we all had to pay a one time fee of $40 to pay for the migration of the forum is that just a non-starter?

This is one of my fav sites on the net, but if we all have continual issues with access then don't we need to look at other options?

Sadly, there may be a “save the forums” drive coming soon.

There will be more details to come, but long-term we have three options:

1. Take the forums independent;

2. Latch on to another blog;

3. Close down.

I really would hate to see #3. It’s like hearing that your favorite pub is being torn down and replaced by Applebee’s.

thanks for the reply Roy.  good to hear that there are things going on behind the scenes to figure this out.  let us know if there are things we can do as users of the site to help out.

I would hate to see it come down to #3 as well.

I would absolutely pay a one time fee to separate from SBNation, and as someone who has worked in web technology, big data and internet marketing for 10 years, I would also volunteer to help in any way I could. I’d be super p---ed to lose this place, I post semi frequently but lurk almost every day.

Ditto here. I'm a software engineer by trade/ technology VP these days. I'm happy to contribute time getting something going.

I also have a side company that could potentially host the system on our servers. I don't have a great idea of the actual costs, but done right it could probably run on donations/ small sponsors.

Should we start a group chat/ Slack/ something to discuss this somewhere among admins and people able to help?

Thanks! Give me some time to work behind the scenes to get everything done legally, and then we’ll see what we can do to save the site.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
 :blank:I came on one night to chat in the game thread.  The site was down :'(. So I started this, not to compete, but to have a place to go, and talk Celtic's basketball) if the site crashed. Anyone is welcome to join.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/220086588548367/
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 07:51:44 PM by Chief »
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
I am currently enjoying a Pléiades Aldébaran while waiting for my vote to register. These are among the largest and longest lasting cigars in the humidor.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Ditto here. I'm a software engineer by trade/ technology VP these days. I'm happy to contribute time getting something going.

I also have a side company that could potentially host the system on our servers. I don't have a great idea of the actual costs, but done right it could probably run on donations/ small sponsors.

Should we start a group chat/ Slack/ something to discuss this somewhere among admins and people able to help?

Thanks! Give me some time to work behind the scenes to get everything done legally, and then we’ll see what we can do to save the site.

Great. Thanks for working on it.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
What internet speeds do people have I have 100 meg service and it is rarely slow for me.

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
What internet speeds do people have I have 100 meg service and it is rarely slow for me.
I have 100 and it’s always much slower than any other site.  And on my phone it’s very common for me to receive a “connection issues” message. 

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Praying that...
Kyrie makes a miraculous comeback.
And hope Jaylen Brown would just watch Jordan films that he could emulate and stop making himself a clone of Jeff Green.

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Would it ever be possible to separate the forum from the SB Nation site?  I.e. Export all the forum data and port it over to a freestanding forum site?  That might require a bit of capital to do.  I for one wouldn't mind a one time shared fee for all of us to allow the forum to be disconnected from SB nation.  Say if we all had to pay a one time fee of $40 to pay for the migration of the forum is that just a non-starter?

This is one of my fav sites on the net, but if we all have continual issues with access then don't we need to look at other options?

Sadly, there may be a “save the forums” drive coming soon.

There will be more details to come, but long-term we have three options:

1. Take the forums independent;

2. Latch on to another blog;

3. Close down.

I really would hate to see #3. It’s like hearing that your favorite pub is being torn down and replaced by Applebee’s.

oh no....  :(