Author Topic: Gordon Hayward  (Read 9675 times)

Re: Gordon Hayward
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2017, 06:49:52 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I'd be thrilled if Boston was able to sign Hayward this summer, but it has almost no chance of happening. I just don't see why Hayward would leave money on the table to come to Boston when his own Jazz are a very good team with plenty of room to still get better.

It ain't happening.

I seriously hope Ainge isn't holding out on making a trade under some misguided idea he actually has a chance to sign Hayward. That would be completely foolish.

« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2017, 07:06:55 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I'd be thrilled if Boston was able to sign Hayward this summer, but it has almost no chance of happening. I just don't see why Hayward would leave money on the table to come to Boston when his own Jazz are a very good team with plenty of room to still get better.

It ain't happening.

I seriously hope Ainge isn't holding out on making a trade under some misguided idea he actually has a chance to sign Hayward. That would be completely foolish.

You remember he already signed a max deal once with another team, and then Utah matched it?  So his loyalty to Utah three years ago wasn't immense (nor was Utah to him, as they pretty much told him to try to get a max deal somewhere else).  On top of that, we have his former college coach, whom he's legitimately still close to, and a team that is better currently, has a better recent track record, and looks better in the future.

Would I take an even money bet that Hayward leaves Utah? Probably not, because inertia is real.  But some major free agent is likely to leave this summer, because seemingly at least one does every year, and Hayward is certainly the one we have the best shot with. 

« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2017, 01:46:30 AM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
Am I the only one who prefers Crowder to Hayward as our starting forward? More efficient scorer and better defender. And contract is so sweet. Hayward minus Crowder moves needle in wrong direction.

Gordon Hayward is 10th in the NBA in defensive win shares, and opponents shoot 2.9% worse against him than their norm, only 41.5% overall.  The 41.5% shooting allowed is 7th among starting forwards.

He's not a bad defender. In fact, statistically he's better than Jae, and ranks among the top tier. His offense is stellar as well.

I'm glad you posted that because when I watch Utah play I wonder how anyone can think Crowder is a better player.   Don't get me wrong, I like Crowder but Hayward has averaged around 20 points going on three years.  Every once and a while Crowder puts up 20.  He also does a lot of things that don't show up sort of why KO has weak individual stats but is valuable to the team.  Hayward is going to get a max deal for sure next year and there are a bunch of teams that would gladly pay that money right now.  How many teams would max Crowder out right now if he was available.  The reason Hayward is a max player and Crowder is not is because Hayward is a much better player, not just a little better. 

« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2017, 06:18:05 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Am I the only one who prefers Crowder to Hayward as our starting forward?

This site should help you, friend.

https://www.lenscrafters.com/

« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2017, 07:51:01 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
What if the team was thinking of moving AB and playing Hayward at SG?
I think that would work. Or they could move AB, play Smart at SG, Hayward at SF and Crowder at PF

Couldn't we do Cauley-Stein and Casspi for Bradley? I love Crowder's contract.
That's not a bad deal at all if you like WCS. Some people don't. I could see the Kings pulling the trigger for that deal without a doubt.
I dont understand liking WCS honestly.

Avery Bradley averages 17/8 with 40% shooting from deep and made 1st team all-Defense just last season.

Trading AB for WCS is exactly the kind-of move I think Danny might do this off-season after Hayward has agreed to sign with us, but not now.

Not only would it allow us to sign Hayward for near max, but it would also allow us to keep KO as we would be able to offer him his qualifying offer. We may need to make another side move (ie, Rozier, to make all of this work, though.

I can't think of a truer professional than AB - each season he has progressed, he causes absolutely no drama, and we have had him for his whole career - but with IT and Smart also due for major raises next year, we likely will have to make a decision on him if Hayward agrees to sign here.
if all you can get for AB is Willie Cauley Stein than just keep Bradley and deal with the log jam.

WCS for AB is an overpay of epic proportions.
It is an overpay but epic, no. As we have seen AB is injury prone and would be entering his last year. Pretty sure he will be looking for Beal $ in the following off season making him a hard resign. In this deal you get something that your team needs and frees up salary as the other poster mentioned. It's not bad.

« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2017, 08:02:10 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think that would work. Or they could move AB, play Smart at SG, Hayward at SF and Crowder at PF

That's not a bad deal at all if you like WCS. Some people don't. I could see the Kings pulling the trigger for that deal without a doubt.

Avery Bradley averages 17/8 with 40% shooting from deep and made 1st team all-Defense just last season.

Trading AB for WCS is exactly the kind-of move I think Danny might do this off-season after Hayward has agreed to sign with us, but not now.

Not only would it allow us to sign Hayward for near max, but it would also allow us to keep KO as we would be able to offer him his qualifying offer. We may need to make another side move (ie, Rozier, to make all of this work, though.

I can't think of a truer professional than AB - each season he has progressed, he causes absolutely no drama, and we have had him for his whole career - but with IT and Smart also due for major raises next year, we likely will have to make a decision on him if Hayward agrees to sign here.
if all you can get for AB is Willie Cauley Stein than just keep Bradley and deal with the log jam.

It is an overpay but epic, no. As we have seen AB is injury prone and would be entering his last year. Pretty sure he will be looking for Beal $ in the following off season making him a hard resign. In this deal you get something that your team needs and frees up salary as the other poster mentioned. It's not bad.

Does WCS really give us what we need? He's a defensive big who doesn't rebound, blocks relatively few shots, fouls too much, and who has played 13.0 minutes per game despite having a defense-minded coach. His effort is also questionable.

To date, he's a marginal NBA player. You don't trade an arguably elite 3&D player for that type of return.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2017, 08:40:47 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

It is an epic overpay. I dunno how you can spin it to make it seem different. You can get much more than WCS for Avery Bradley.

« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2017, 09:15:37 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

It is an epic overpay. I dunno how you can spin it to make it seem different. You can get much more than WCS for Avery Bradley.
That's not spin it's facts AB is injury prone and will be in his last year looking for a big payday. You going to ignore facts and call it spin? Really...really.., oh wait I forgot it's the world of fake news and Trump as president. You can call it what you like lol. Also it's not WCS set in stone if Dany can get a sweetener like a pick or 2018 swap rights go for it. It's the main pieces and fit.

« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2017, 09:39:08 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

That's not spin it's facts AB is injury prone and will be in his last year looking for a big payday. You going to ignore facts and call it spin? Really...really.., oh wait I forgot it's the world of fake news and Trump as president. You can call it what you like lol. Also it's not WCS set in stone if Dany can get a sweetener like a pick or 2018 swap rights go for it. It's the main pieces and fit.

Yup, AB is injury prone, and yup, he's on the last year of his deal looking for a much bigger one.  That doesn't change the fact that trading him for Willie Cauley-Stein would be an absolutely terrible deal (and yes, it would still be a horrible deal if a pick got sent to Boston)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2017, 10:08:57 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

Does WCS really give us what we need? He's a defensive big who doesn't rebound, blocks relatively few shots, fouls too much, and who has played 13.0 minutes per game despite having a defense-minded coach. His effort is also questionable.

To date, he's a marginal NBA player. You don't trade an arguably elite 3&D player for that type of return.

I am totally baffled by the fascination with WCS, who's going to be out of the league soon. Good characterization of a very, very flawed player.

While we are certainly guilty of overvaluing these alleged "assets," trading Bradley for a guy who is indeed a marginal NBA player is insanity.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2017, 11:50:24 AM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
I don't think WCS has shown anything close to the value worthy of trading Bradley for him....