Author Topic: Why would you trade Rondo to rebuild ?  (Read 5280 times)

Re: Why would you trade Rondo to rebuild ?
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2013, 02:53:24 PM »

Offline The Rondo Show

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 364
  • Hook 'Em
Doubt it I think Rondo is the center piece for the rebuild

The formula seems to be trying to have multiple stars.  I don't see how going from 1 star to 0 stars gets up closer to having 2-3 stars on your team.

To put it another way, if KG and Pierce retire and the team goes into rebuilding mode, I would not swap rosters with the Bobcats.
+1

Now you shouldn't rule out trading Rondo if you're rebuilding. If you think you can land a star on a rookie contract you explore it. Paul Pierce for Van Excel (contract matching) and the 3rd pick in the draft which Danny was targeting Chris Paul is the example of that sort of deal.

But you don't just move him to lose more games.

I was never suggesting trading him, I said he was the center piece lol
DKC Suns

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2013, 02:55:31 PM »

Offline bobbyv

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
By the time the C's are anywhere close to contending again, Rondo will be out of his prime. Might as well trade him (if we're still rebuilding 2 years from now, I doubt he resigns with the team).

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2013, 03:18:09 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
Let make it easy folks …
Monetary managing of this team is catastrophic. GM made a horrible and very bad financial job...So Cs have 3 players Rondo+KG+PP getting almost 40m/season, getting almost 67% of the salary cap. But 2 players old like KG and PP are getting 27m/season almost 45% of the salary space...So, to resolve the problem of this team in order to rebuild or to reconstruct, is based only in 2 options:

1. Reduce the salary of PP and KG and trade Rondo
2. Trade PP ad KG and keep Rondo

There is no more option how to reorganize the moneys. From these options, first option is maybe the smartest move, because if you trade KG and Pp, this team will fight for the bottom seeds of East and never will be e contender in next 5 years till a big 3 era will begin.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 05:35:05 PM by eugen »

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2013, 03:24:30 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
eugen you seem to think that the NBA operates like the NFL as far as cap structure works. How much your top players take of your cap isn't a important number.

Instead its are you at the tax, if not do you have cap room, and what's the future cap situation look like.

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2013, 03:41:39 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
eugen you seem to think that the NBA operates like the NFL as far as cap structure works. How much your top players take of your cap isn't a important number.

I am talking in particular for Cs case and about the wrong managment of money made by GM...Did I made any mistake in showing the monetary situation ans strategies?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 03:47:21 PM by eugen »

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2013, 03:41:50 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Because no one will trade a superstar and/or high picks for Fab Melo...

You have to give up something to get something. Rondo is something. He is the only one that could put us in a position to actually have some pieces to rebuild. Unless you can figure a way to get Lebron and Dwight to join Rondo on the C's, he isn't a guy that is going to win anything for you. If he is your best player you aren't going anywhere. PG's are not centerpieces to build around. Especially ones with big holes in his game.

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2013, 03:42:06 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Let make it easy folks …
Monetary managing of this team is catastrophic. GM made a horrible and very bad financial job...So Cs have 3 players Rondo+KG+PP getting almost 40m/season, getting almost 67% of the salary cap. But 2 players old like KG and PP are getting 27m/season almost 45% of the salary space...So, to resolve the problem of this team in order to rebuild or to reconstruct, is based only in 2 options:

There is no more option how to reorganize the moneys. From these options, first option is maybe the smartest move, because if you trade KG and Pp, this team will fight for the bottom seeds of East and never will be e contender in next 5 years till a big 3 era will begin.

How the team played after trading PP and KG would depend heavily on the players we trade them for.

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2013, 03:48:30 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
Let make it easy folks …

How the team played after trading PP and KG would depend heavily on the players we trade them for.

Depend from the trade..But..I do not thing is a good ide ato trade PP+KG

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2013, 04:33:04 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
He's in his prime and this team is nowhere near competing... and we are too cash-strapped to add a superstar to build around even if KG and Pierce are removed from the books.  You're more than likely looking at a lotto team next year even if we hang onto Rondo. 

In a way, it's the same rationalization that Memphis had when they gave away Pau Gasol to the Lakers.  "We suck with him... we'll suck without him... why pay him if we're going to suck either way?"... I'd argue they should have gotten more assets during that trade... but Marc Gasol is certainly no slouch, and they've build a solid playoff team since dumping Pau.

If Rondo was 22 years old, I'd hang onto him, continue to acquire assets, tried to land a superstar to lead the team (Rondo will never be the #1 guy on a title team) and hope for the best... that would give me a good 8 years to build a team involving Rondo.   But as-is... Rondo is 28 years old and coming off major surgery... he's probably not going to be "right" until he's 29 years old in 2014 (that's assuming he ever fully recovers) ... You build teams around draft picks, young assets and cap space... not a 29 year old player who is unlikely to even make an all-star team in the foreseeable future (too much competition in the east for the guard slot)...

So you absolutely trade him if you can land a bluechipper on his rookie deal (like the above Derrick Favors idea someone brought up) or a Top 5 pick. That's far more conducive to a rebuild.

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2013, 04:46:12 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
Rondo is the face of the Celtics. You only trade him for Chris Paul/Durant/LeBron, but that's not going to happen.

A team without KG and Pierce is bad enough to get a top 5-10 pick. Even if the Celtics tried to tank like they were the Bobcats, like in 2007 and 1997, the ping pong balls won't fall their way. So a top-5 or even top-10 is bad/good enough.

They can pull a D-Rose with Rondo (and Sully), so that won't be a problem. The real problem is what can you get from Pierce/KG. KG in a trade&retire could bring a future pick and an expiring horrible contract (i.e. Turkoglu), so you don't have to worry for him to not suck and ruin the tank plan. KG files retirement and can come back as an assistant coach. Orlando saves money AND cap space, Turkoglu expires in 2014 and you can use his expiring contract and/or the pick to improve your chances in the 2014 draft.

PP+Bass for Boozer+Rip Hamilton+Bobcats 2014 first rounder. Chicago starts Gibson, saves one year of Boozer's contract, and gets a 6th man to win it all in Pierce and a great backup in Bass. Fair trade, although I'd hate to see the Captain in red. The Bobcats pick is top-10 protected in 2014, top-8 in 2015 and unprotected in 2016 :P Boozer doesn't give you enough to not suck (Rondo wouldn't be playing), and you can package him later with a young player and a pick to get an All Star in return.

You keep Rondo and Green, unless you get something really good for them. Sully and Bradley are keepers while you build their trade value (or they become building blocks), and so it goes for the other young kids. Lee and Terry won't be easy to move, but if you get the right offer, you take expirings and picks.

Cap flexibility is the key, and developing/adquiring assets is the goal.

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2013, 04:56:34 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
You trade Rondo because he's 27 and he's an All-Star caliber player when healthy but he's not good enough to be the centerpiece of an elite team and he's worth more to a rebuilding team in terms of the young assets he could get you (a top 10 lottery pick in a decent draft or a couple of nice young prospects) than he is playing out his prime winning 30-40 games a year.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2013, 05:02:17 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
He's in his prime and this team is nowhere near competing... and we are too cash-strapped to add a superstar to build around even if KG and Pierce are removed from the books.  You're more than likely looking at a lotto team next year even if we hang onto Rondo. 

In a way, it's the same rationalization that Memphis had when they gave away Pau Gasol to the Lakers.  "We suck with him... we'll suck without him... why pay him if we're going to suck either way?"... I'd argue they should have gotten more assets during that trade... but Marc Gasol is certainly no slouch, and they've build a solid playoff team since dumping Pau.

If Rondo was 22 years old, I'd hang onto him, continue to acquire assets, tried to land a superstar to lead the team (Rondo will never be the #1 guy on a title team) and hope for the best... that would give me a good 8 years to build a team involving Rondo.   But as-is... Rondo is 28 years old and coming off major surgery... he's probably not going to be "right" until he's 29 years old in 2014 (that's assuming he ever fully recovers) ... You build teams around draft picks, young assets and cap space... not a 29 year old player who is unlikely to even make an all-star team in the foreseeable future (too much competition in the east for the guard slot)...

So you absolutely trade him if you can land a bluechipper on his rookie deal (like the above Derrick Favors idea someone brought up) or a Top 5 pick. That's far more conducive to a rebuild.

TP...
You can rebuilt a team based in one player that never has been leader of the team or showing lidership. Plus the age...28...

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2013, 05:10:26 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I don't recall anyone suggesting that the sole purpose of trading Rondo would be to tank.  I think the argument is essentially, Rondo is Boston's best player and has the most value, thus you will get the most for him and secondly, because Rondo is good enough to keep Boston from being truly bad, but not good enough to make Boston a realistic contender with the current set of players that there is no point in keeping him around unless Boston goes all in (otherwise Boston is just mediocre).
I think its strange you don't remember your own posts. You've explictly laid out how you want to trade Rondo so the team can be bad enough to get multiple top lottery picks over the next few years. The return from Rondo hasn't really been a sticking point beyond, generic assets for a rebuilding team.
Nothing in my post above is contradictory to anything I posted before.  You don't just trade Rondo to tank, you trade Rondo to get more assets which will allow you to rebuild better and because Rondo is too good to allow the team to be really bad, but not good enough to carry an otherwise mediocre team past the first round.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2013, 05:33:09 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Trick question. You wouldn't.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2013, 05:37:22 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

TP...
You can rebuilt a team based in one player that never has been leader of the team or showing lidership. Plus the age...28...

That's assuming you ignore the comments of every player or coach or front office person associated with the team when you decide that the player isn't a leader.