Author Topic: Why would you trade Rondo to rebuild ?  (Read 5279 times)

Why would you trade Rondo to rebuild ?
« on: May 06, 2013, 11:30:28 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I can see trading kg , pp

even sully, bradley and green if we are getting a high lottery pick(which likely wouldn't happen

but to trade rondo so we can suck enough to have a slim chance at a top 2 pick makes no sense to me

Anyone after wiggins and parker, anyone else likely won't ever be as good as rondo, especially superstar playoff rondo.

if we trade pp and kg for expiring and pick , we will still suck enough to  get a pick in the 5-10 range in a deep draft where we could add to rondo , not a replacement

thoughts?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 11:39:07 AM by rondohondo »

Re: Why would you trade Rondo to rebuild ?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 11:35:48 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Doesn't it depend on who comes back?

What if the Clippers offer Paul in a sign and trade? 

What if Chicago offers a healthy Rose?

What if Utah offers Favors and a draft pick?

These are all "maybe" types of offers that are extremely unlikely to happen, but never say never.

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 11:37:10 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
true , I can see trading him for another all-star/ superstar , but I am just talking about trading him to just tank , like some on here have suggested .

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 11:40:47 AM »

Offline The Rondo Show

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 364
  • Hook 'Em
Doubt it I think Rondo is the center piece for the rebuild
DKC Suns

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 11:45:08 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

The formula seems to be trying to have multiple stars.  I don't see how going from 1 star to 0 stars gets up closer to having 2-3 stars on your team.

To put it another way, if KG and Pierce retire and the team goes into rebuilding mode, I would not swap rosters with the Bobcats.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 11:57:01 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

The formula seems to be trying to have multiple stars.  I don't see how going from 1 star to 0 stars gets up closer to having 2-3 stars on your team.

To put it another way, if KG and Pierce retire and the team goes into rebuilding mode, I would not swap rosters with the Bobcats.
+1

Now you shouldn't rule out trading Rondo if you're rebuilding. If you think you can land a star on a rookie contract you explore it. Paul Pierce for Van Excel (contract matching) and the 3rd pick in the draft which Danny was targeting Chris Paul is the example of that sort of deal.

But you don't just move him to lose more games.

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 12:07:13 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I don't recall anyone suggesting that the sole purpose of trading Rondo would be to tank.  I think the argument is essentially, Rondo is Boston's best player and has the most value, thus you will get the most for him and secondly, because Rondo is good enough to keep Boston from being truly bad, but not good enough to make Boston a realistic contender with the current set of players that there is no point in keeping him around unless Boston goes all in (otherwise Boston is just mediocre).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 12:09:38 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
You trade Rondo for that trade partners best player only if it makes sense to do so. I advocate trading KG and PP for the sake of rebuilding around Rondo Jeff Green and Jared Sullenger.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 12:11:43 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
I don't recall anyone suggesting that the sole purpose of trading Rondo would be to tank.  I think the argument is essentially, Rondo is Boston's best player and has the most value, thus you will get the most for him and secondly, because Rondo is good enough to keep Boston from being truly bad, but not good enough to make Boston a realistic contender with the current set of players that there is no point in keeping him around unless Boston goes all in (otherwise Boston is just mediocre).

a roster of

rondo ( coming back from injury)
bradley
green
sully
vet min center
terry
bass
williams
and what ever other crap

wins about 30 games

good for a 5-10 pick which you can add in a deep draft

to me that is the way to go

try to move bass terry and lee at the deadline to free up cap space so we could also sign a max free agent in 2014 .

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 12:23:00 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
If you advocate for tanking, you should advocate for trading Rondo as well:

1. Getting another draft pick in the "loaded" draft
2. Ensuring a basement finish and best chances at a top 3 pick
3. Getting something for Rondo before he enters the final year of his current contract and becomes a free agent

Think the ultra-competitive Rondo will look favorably on the prospects of headlining a franchise that's spending the prime years of his career rebuilding?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 12:23:43 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
wouldn't want to.......    Most good bigs that are offensive minded would like having him as a teammate .

Having Doc and Rondo here , important to attract some better impact players to sign.

But,   ....tttt........ ;)  ...if DA gets a chance at serious big/center  (not BIG AL) that is worth trading Rondo he might , he he thought he was getting enough value back., I could DA doing it.

I'd really be shocked to see Rondo traded if Doc returns and even more so if KG returns.

I'm good with Rondo, Doc and KG returning.

Not so much Pierce , unless he takes a pay cut and sits on the bench more. 

I consider trading some of the better Celtics to bring in Side Show Bob.  or Cousins

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 12:35:03 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

a roster of

bradley
green
sully
vet min center
terry
bass
williams
and what ever other crap

wins about 30 games

try to move bass terry and lee at the deadline to free up cap space so we could also sign a max free agent in 2014 .
yeah but if you move Rondo, you win less games and get more picks.  Gives you not only a better chance for a top tier player, but also a better chance of getting a good player and not missing.  Also gives you more flexibility for trading.  I mean say Boston ends up with the 3rd and 9th picks (or something like that).  They could maybe package them to get 1 or 2 or maybe could move 1 of them for a star (like the #5 for Ray Allen trade), could keep 3 but then use 9 to pick up 12 and 15 (or something like that).  Just so many more options when you have multiple picks.

I have proposed this trade before but I think something like Kemba Walker, Ben Gordon, Tyrus Thomas, Detroit 1st, Portland 1st for Rajon Rondo and Jeff Green would make a lot of sense for both teams (if Boston goes down the rebuilding path).  Gives Boston a nice young player in Walker, a talented but flawed young player in Thomas, Gordon's expiring contract as well as what could be 2 very strong draft picks at some point in the future. 

The Pistons picks is protected as follows: top 8 in 2014, top 1 in 2015, and unprotected in 2016

The Blazers pick is protected as follows: top 12 in 2014 and 2015, and unprotected in 2016
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 12:44:30 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

a roster of

bradley
green
sully
vet min center
terry
bass
williams
and what ever other crap

wins about 30 games

I think that team wins more than 30 games, especially in the weak Eastern conference, but just for the sake of comparison, the following teams all won fewer than 30 games last season:

Detroit
Washington
Sacramento
New Orleans
Cleveland
Phoenix
Charlotte
Orlando

Washington and Cleveland might improve next season. The others continue to rebuild, and will likely join the race for the bottom.

You'll likely need to bench Rondo for the year, or trade him, to ensure a basement finish. Possibly also Sullinger.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 01:28:25 PM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
yall have absolutely no foresight if you think we would suck without kg and paul. Guarantee that would not be the case.

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 02:50:38 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think its strange you don't remember your own posts. You've explictly laid out how you want to trade Rondo so the team can be bad enough to get multiple top lottery picks over the next few years. The return from Rondo hasn't really been a sticking point beyond, generic assets for a rebuilding team.