Author Topic: Chris Mannix: Every GM says Jared Sullinger will be the biggest draft bust  (Read 17912 times)

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
I don't see how Sullinger how the most "bust potential" of the likely lottery picks. There a bunch of other guys there who I'd rank ahead of him.

Austin Rivers, Andre Drummond, John Henson, Kendall Marshall, Jeremy Lamb, Meyers Leonard. That's 6 of the 14 players chosen. Maybe Terrence Ross. Barnes? From a risk prospective, Sullinger looks a middle of the pack (lottery pick wise) of being a bust to me.

I think some GMs are over-reacting and will regret their stance on this in the near-future.

Agreed, I'd easily throw Drummond, Henson, Leonard, Barnes, and Ross as having far more bust potential (even if sully was a lottery pick). GMs are stupid. Sully isnt athletic, but it says  more about his bball iq and playmaking ability that he was so good in college. If anything I think hes gonna be a good player based on that fact alone. He's also proven he could play unlike some of those lottery picks based on potential... Saying Sully is gonna be the biggest draft bust is just a stupid thing to say in general. I cant wait until he makes them eat crow

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Sullinger has compared himself quite a bit to Timberwolves star Kevin Love. When Love came out of UCLA, scouts questioned his athleticism -- a lot of them thought he would have a long, solid career, but would never be a star. Love is one of the 10 best players in the world now. I suppose every power forward with questionable athleticism will compare himself to Love now. But with Sullinger ... well, let's compare them.

Coming out of UCLA, Love was listed at 6-foot-10, 271 pounds. Sullinger is 6-9, 265 pounds. At that size, one inch and six pounds is a rounding error. These guys gain nine pounds at lunch. Now, look at their college numbers. Love played one year at UCLA and Sullinger played two at Ohio State.

Love averaged 17.5 points, Sullinger averaged 17.3. Love shot 55.9 percent, Sullinger shot 53 percent. Love shot 35.4 percent from three-point range, Sullinger shot 36.5 percent. Love shot 76.7 percent from the free-throw line, Sullinger shot 73.3 percent. Love averaged 1.4 blocks, 1.9 assists and 0.7 steals; Sullinger averaged 0.8 blocks, 1.2 assists and 1.1 steals.
Come on: That's almost freaky, isn't it? I don't know if you could find two players with more similar stats. The two also each made one Final Four and lost in the semifinals. Sullinger needed two years to do it, but Love played on a UCLA team with Russell Westbrook, in a Pac-10 that was not as strong as this year's Big Ten.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/michael_rosenberg/06/27/nba-draft-questions/index.html

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
What makes me confident about Sullinger is that Doc is obviously a fan and I'm sure he's seen most of the guys in this year's draft several times over the years from attending Austin's AAU games, camps etc.

I've heard him say as much in past interviews.  I think he's got a better idea than most about who can excel at the next level and who can't.

Offline ctrey

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 110
What is odd is that Mannix wrote that he was thrilled with Boston 's draft. He was very pleased:

Boston addressed significant frontcourt needs by plucking plummeting Ohio State power forward Jared Sullinger at No. 21 and defensive-minded Syracuse center Fab Melo (more on him below) at No. 22. Sullinger is an interesting pick: a year ago he was considered a top-five talent, but a less than stellar sophomore year combined with concerns about a potentially chronic back injury had teams running away from him. Two concerns general managers often cite with Sullinger: a low motor and difficulties defending the pick and roll. Kevin Garnett, who assisted with the development of Kendrick Perkins and Glen Davis, could be a big help to Sullinger -- if KG decides to return.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/chris_mannix/06/29/2012-nba-draft-winners-losers/index.html#ixzz1zTgZAIfv

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
In a sense he already is a bust after being a number one draft pick just a year ago to sliding down to 21 now. However the red flags for his back should allow him to exceed expectations. By this I mean, he was supposed to be number one but now no one knows because of the back but he STILL possesses those skilss which will bring a ton of value at the 21 pick. Unless he never plays in the NBA due to his injury, I highly doubt he will be the biggest draft bust. He really can only go up from here
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Not in the lottery, and can't be a BUST if he has low expectations. If this guy was picked like 8th overall and was a career role player it'd be one thing...

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
bust my a**! He's gonna be major part of our team moving forward!!

Offline arambone

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 80
NBA execs had him ranked right there with Robinson a month ago.
http://www.nba.com/news/features/david_aldridge/big-board-power-forwards/index.html

Kansas' Robinson got a slight nod among personnel types over Ohio State's Sullinger, but the difference is tiny. Either could go in the top five, depending on who's doing the picking and what they need.

"Robinson's next," said a veteran Western Conference scout whose team won't be picking high enough to take him. "He's probably a more aggressive player. Although Sullinger can step out and shoot the jump shot, whereas Thomas really can't.

Sullinger isn't as athletic as Robinson, but NBA scouts love what he brings to the court.

"Robinson's more athletic, so he'll always be more sexier," a Northwest Division scout said. "But Sullinger's more skilled. I like them both. I look at Sullinger and I believe he'll be able to score in the low post against guys his size -- Brandon Bass, Carlos Boozer, guys like that. The guys with length, they're going to put him in pick and pop situations, because he's a good shooter, and I think he can get even better."

Pro scouts are a little divided on what Sullinger's optimal weight should be.

"It doesn't bother me Jared being 290, because I don't think he can be any good playing at 260," a Central Division executive said. "If he can't get people off of him to shoot his jump hook, he's no good."

There's more, so check out the article:
http://www.nba.com/news/features/david_aldridge/big-board-power-forwards/index.html

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 661
  • MASTER OF PANIC
wow...this sounds a lot like PP...said he was too slow, unathletic and was going to be a journyman.....same with rondo....GM's are wrong

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
I do think Sullinger has major bust/disappointment potential because so many people are pegging him as a future starter and All-Star. I just don't think its realistic. NBA big men are getting bigger and more athletic - I don't think Sully's game will translate as well as some hope. I heard someone desscribe him before the draft as "a less athletic Glen Davis with a better handle on his weight issues." From what I've seen of him, the description sounds rather accurate.

I think Sullinger's athleticism is getting to be underrated. He can dunk powerfully off the vert, putbacks and I even saw a couple of ally-oops in his highlights. Not saying he's a pogo stick but he's definitely more athletic than BBD.
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
NBA execs had him ranked right there with Robinson a month ago.

Kansas' Robinson got a slight nod among personnel types over Ohio State's Sullinger, but the difference is tiny. Either could go in the top five, depending on who's doing the picking and what they need.

"Robinson's next," said a veteran Western Conference scout whose team won't be picking high enough to take him. "He's probably a more aggressive player. Although Sullinger can step out and shoot the jump shot, whereas Thomas really can't.

Sullinger isn't as athletic as Robinson, but NBA scouts love what he brings to the court.

"Robinson's more athletic, so he'll always be more sexier," a Northwest Division scout said. "But Sullinger's more skilled. I like them both. I look at Sullinger and I believe he'll be able to score in the low post against guys his size -- Brandon Bass, Carlos Boozer, guys like that. The guys with length, they're going to put him in pick and pop situations, because he's a good shooter, and I think he can get even better."

Pro scouts are a little divided on what Sullinger's optimal weight should be.

"It doesn't bother me Jared being 290, because I don't think he can be any good playing at 260," a Central Division executive said. "If he can't get people off of him to shoot his jump hook, he's no good."

There's more, so check out the article:

Great post, important perspective to have.

We live in such a rash society now these days.  Suddenly everyone hates Sulinger for his back issue, no one has questions about Dwight who is going through the same or worse of an injury right now?   ???
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Sully should be able to prove his worth taken at the 21 pick , no problem.  He isn't Anthony Davis , but he isn't that gob of goo no work ethic Big cry Baby Davis either.  

He'll work hard, his father was a good coach , he comes from hard working background .

I feel alot better about what Sully can offer at 21 pick , than selling/trading the team for a chance to obtain Howard and that he can be his former self ??? what ever that means ::) another backstabbing , creep ?

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
GMs are remembering relatively recent lottery busts with similar physical profiles/college success like Shelden Williams, Sean May, and Ike Diogu.

Of course, that means they are also forgetting recent success stories like Kevin Love, Paul Millsap and Carl Landry.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
How many guys like Sullinger who had excellent careers in college end up falling on their face in the nba vs guys who have accomplished nothing?

Draft picks with lots of potential but hasn't proved nothing end up being usually the biggest busts. Sullinger's reason for being a bust mainly has to do with his lower back concerns. He has a real nice looking jump shot , and if he shoot more mid range jumpers, he will be able to adjust in the nba just fine. Nobody can deny he won't be able to be a good rebounder in the nba already.

Offline AshyLarry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 177
  • Ashy To Classy, baby.
dunno... i've heard he could end up a poor man's Carlos Boozer or he could end up a poor man's Ike Diogu.  We'll see.

I didn't know there was such a thing as a poor man's Ike Diogu. Wow, that'd be just awful haha.
My pic is now, and will be Fab Melo until he posts his first official NBA dbl-dbl. This may be permanent.