Author Topic: Diaw the Wilcox replacement?  (Read 12254 times)

Re: Diaw the Wilcox replacement?
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2012, 05:33:57 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Since when is Jermaine's contract being paid by insurance?

Hopefully there wasn't an insurance company as gullible as Danny Ainge...O'Neal was about a 100% risk from an insurance standpoint based on his history.
Pretty much if Amar'e couldn't get his knees insured why would Jermaine be able to get any part of him insured against injury.

Plus if his contract was being paid by insurance he'd be a valuable trade chip, other teams would have loved to swap him for a similar contracts as it'd save them money. No reports have arisen that Jermaine's deal was considered valuable.

« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2012, 05:37:53 PM »

Offline redbov

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
From Wojo:

Y! Sources: Spurs emerge as frontrunners for Boris Diaw should he clear waivers.

Looks like it's Hollins and Fesenko then?

It's amazing how Danny didn't trade for one of these guys.

It is mind-boggling.  Hickson, Diaw, Turiaf: they all must have been cheap to acquire and we had the contracts/2nd round picks to spare.

These teams wanted players and picks for these guys.  That's why nobody else traded for them either.  For Hickson it was reported they wanted Bradley.  Turiaf was included in a trade so we coldn't have gotten him. For Diaw we would have had to trade picks AND 9 million in salary....

We had nothing to trade that we were willing to give up for these guys.  We weren't giving up a #1 and we weren't giving up any players of value.  

O'Neal had no value and neither did Dooling which is what it would have cost in order to make a trade for Diaw salary wise...

You can send all those reports to the trash can.

All these guys would be available for some money savings - in the form of cash or by the total salary of the players going out being smaller - and/or a 2nd round pick.

Major failing by Ainge.

Ahh cool so what part of the celtics front office are you? We're you on the phone to Jordan at the deadline?

Boris diaw may be fat but I really doubt he was available for a big pile of nothing and a second.

Nonsense. Unless for some weird reason, the Bobcats FO decided to get a worse deal for themselves instead of a better one by trading him to another team.

You understand he was traded by a few dollars saved, right?

How is it nonsense? Charlotte may have tried to trade him somewhere for better assets but had no takers, much like ainge with ray allen... And then when diaw still wanted out they bought out his contract.

It's very easy to criticize GMs with hindsight but just because diaw was eventually bought out, it doesn't mean he was available at the deadline for a trade equivalent to said buyout.

Nonsense.

Diaw was available at the trade deadline and they'd have moved for any equivalent or slightly better value.

Why exactly would they change their valuation of Diaw in the meanwhile? He wasn't even playing anymore at that point.

« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2012, 05:38:53 PM »

Offline redbov

• Xavier Tillman

I think it was, but it's irrelevant in the grand scheme: the Celtics could have put an attractive offer for any guy who was bought out if they wanted to.

« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2012, 05:44:23 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I think it was, but it's irrelevant in the grand scheme: the Celtics could have put an attractive offer for any guy who was bought out if they wanted to.
Do you recall where you heard this? Because I've seen posters refer to it, but never any media source.

Its not irrelevant, it matters because you're upset because you view a pile of expirings and a middlish 2nd round pick as "attractive". I don't view that as a the case. A contract that has a prorated portion being paid by insurance would be more attractive than that second round pick.

« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2012, 05:55:45 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
When Rasheed Wallace retired, teams didn't want to take on that contract.  Given that, I am not surprised that no team was willing to take on Jermaine O'Neal's expiring contract for a mere second round pick.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2012, 06:09:23 PM »

Offline KG_ended_Bias

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 51
If you want Diaw, go to your local grocery store & look for this toilet paper called Charmin! You can find it anywhere & its REALLY SOFT!

« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2012, 06:24:57 PM »

Offline redbov

• Xavier Tillman

Do you recall where you heard this? Because I've seen posters refer to it, but never any media source.

Its not irrelevant, it matters because you're upset because you view a pile of expirings and a middlish 2nd round pick as "attractive". I don't view that as a the case. A contract that has a prorated portion being paid by insurance would be more attractive than that second round pick.

Have you heard it isn't?

I don't think you're familiar with how insurance works. The top 5 salaries in every team are injured with the insurance company being able to exclude 12 contracts, I think. Now, maybe O'Neal was one of those excluded contracts because of his injury record. I have some major doubts about that because his salary is relatively small. The fact that we haven't heard his contract is not insured leads me to believe that, as most of them, it's insured.

And expirings that save salary + a 2nd round is certainly attractive.

« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2012, 06:27:14 PM »

Offline redbov

• Xavier Tillman
When Rasheed Wallace retired, teams didn't want to take on that contract.  Given that, I am not surprised that no team was willing to take on Jermaine O'Neal's expiring contract for a mere second round pick.

How's that even comparable? Teams didn't want to carry a contract for an entire year. A bit different than trading for a smaller contract.

« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2012, 06:48:08 PM »

Offline Moonbat

• Maine Celtic
  • Tommy Points: 0

Hopefully there wasn't an insurance company as gullible as Danny Ainge...O'Neal was about a 100% risk from an insurance standpoint based on his history.
Pretty much if Amar'e couldn't get his knees insured why would Jermaine be able to get any part of him insured against injury.

The reason Amare's contract is uninsured is because his salary is so high and there are always doubts about his knees.

O'Neal's contract is one of the smallest the league carrier would need to cover so in spite of the risk I'm pretty sure it's insured (there are plenty of injury prone guys in the league). The ones they exclude are generally amongst the largest contracts. Better chances Garnett's contract is uninsured than Jermaine O'Neal's.

« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2012, 07:16:00 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
No reason why JO's contract would be less attractive than Joel Przybilla's was last year (when he was used with picks to acquire Gerald Wallace).
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2012, 07:23:31 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

How's that even comparable? Teams didn't want to carry a contract for an entire year. A bit different than trading for a smaller contract.

There was the assumption that Wallace would negotiate a buy-out and give away most of the money left on the contract.

From a long-term standpoint, it makes little sense for teams to give up too much on the small trades and accept a tiny return, because then potential trading partners expect you to make similar concessions on the big trades.  Some teams that are eying making big trades in the off-season need to avoid making deadline deals that give them a push-over image.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2012, 08:07:10 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
There is no proof anywhere that JO's contract is insured, yet we have numerous posters stating it is. How can this be? Is someone from the C's front office one of the posters?