Author Topic: Rondo the all-star  (Read 9348 times)

Rondo the all-star
« on: January 07, 2010, 12:12:51 PM »

Offline tcelt

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
if rondo is not an all-star this yr then no one is an all-star rondo leads all point guards in the east in assist,fg percentage,steals and double doubles

Re: Rondo the all-star
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 01:28:08 PM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 163
  • Green 18!
He won't be a starter, so I hope the coaches and GMs think of him as an All-Star.

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 01:29:41 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3062
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
When exactly is the All Star game?
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 02:07:04 PM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 163
  • Green 18!

Same month as the past years.

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 02:16:33 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
He has been the MVP of the Celtics this year.  Nobody on the team is playing as well as he is.

Statistically he's basically tied with Iggy as the 2nd best guard in the Eastern Conference behind Dwayne Wade.  He's easily the best pure point guard in the Eastern Conference (his competition I guess would be Mo Williams, Louis Williams, Brandon Jennings and Derick Rose... all of which he is clearly outperforming) 

Right now (statistically) he's a top 10 guard in the entire league. 

I think he may also have cracked into the "top 5 point guards" in the league category.   Chris Paul and Deron Williams are better.  Steve Nash is arguably better (not defensively, but Nash is practically flawless on offense)...  Who else is his competition to make that top 5?  I like to consider myself a pretty realistic fan.  I try to avoid being a homer as much as possible.   Right now, I think Rondo might be the 4th best point guard in the NBA (and the 3 ahead of him are all in the Western Conference).  If he keeps up his production, it would be insane for him to miss the allstar team.

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 02:17:56 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Same month as the past years.

Eh, no need to be sarcastic.

It's February 14 this year. 

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 02:20:32 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
He has been the MVP of the Celtics this year.  Nobody on the team is playing as well as he is.

Statistically he's basically tied with Iggy as the 2nd best guard in the Eastern Conference behind Dwayne Wade.  He's easily the best pure point guard in the Eastern Conference (his competition I guess would be Mo Williams, Louis Williams, Brandon Jennings and Derick Rose... all of which he is clearly outperforming) 

Right now (statistically) he's a top 10 guard in the entire league. 

I think he may also have cracked into the "top 5 point guards" in the league category.   Chris Paul and Deron Williams are better.  Steve Nash is arguably better (not defensively, but Nash is practically flawless on offense)...  Who else is his competition to make that top 5?  I like to consider myself a pretty realistic fan.  I try to avoid being a homer as much as possible.   Right now, I think Rondo might be the 4th best point guard in the NBA (and the 3 ahead of him are all in the Western Conference).  If he keeps up his production, it would be insane for him to miss the allstar team.
Good post.  Yeah, I agree with him at #4 in the whole league, as he seems to have passed Parker and Billups.

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 02:22:53 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

I think that's right.  He's probably about on Baron Davis' level right now (arguably better), and has separated himself from guys like Devin Harris.   As mentioned above, Parker and Billups are in the conversation, as well, and Derrick Rose will be for years to come (although his distribution skills need some work.)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 02:23:39 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I think that's right.  He's probably about on Baron Davis' level right now (arguably better), and has separated himself from guys like Baron Davis.   
::)

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 02:24:35 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

I think that's right.  He's probably about on Baron Davis' level right now (arguably better), and has separated himself from guys like Baron Davis.   
::)

Oops.  I meant Devin Harris for the second player.

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 02:32:21 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I think he's playing at a much higher level than Davis and Harris this year.  It's not that close, either.

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 02:38:24 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
I think he's playing at a much higher level than Davis and Harris this year.  It's not that close, either.

I definitely agree.

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 02:43:36 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
time to start filling out a theoretical roster and make sure there's room for him (there better be)

starters are shaping up like this (logic need not apply)

http://blogs.wickedlocal.com/hoops/2010/01/07/the-nba-all-star-voting-follies/

KG, Lebron, D.Wade, Iverson (LOL), Dwight

after that you need to include...

Pierce
Bosh
Josh Smith
Granger
Joe Johnson
I think Rondo belongs right here in this group

then who? maybe...

Igudola
Vince
G. Wallace
Jennings?
D. Rose?
David Lee?

how many spots are there again?
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 02:44:55 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
Rondo has the most assists in the East and the most steals in the NBA - that alone is worth All Star consideration
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 02:47:28 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
Pretty much a mortal lock at this point.

2nd best PG in the league 2nd best guard (not PG) in the East and should get MVP consideration.

Still not the best C though.

Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10