Author Topic: Do we have a chance?  (Read 9777 times)

Re: Do we have a chance?
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2009, 02:14:40 AM »

Offline rondo987

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
Hmm... Interesting question, do we have a chance... Watch 5:50-6:35 of this clip and this pretty much sums up how I feel about the Celtics. Lol, I know its a bad comparison, but this was my favorite show growing up and I just had to use this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdwQFsDVR8A&feature=related
"Life has so many hurdles. Some of them I've hopped over, and some of them I've tripped over. The key is to get back up and finish the race."

-Paul Pierce-

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2009, 04:05:00 AM »

Offline Tnerb02

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 18
Hmm... Interesting question, do we have a chance... Watch 5:50-6:35 of this clip and this pretty much sums up how I feel about the Celtics. Lol, I know its a bad comparison, but this was my favorite show growing up and I just had to use this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdwQFsDVR8A&feature=related
Such deep philosophy coming from a 1990s teenage sitcom.  ;)

« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2009, 04:27:41 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
LBJ's due for a bad game or two.
So, "yes", we have a chance.

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2009, 04:57:02 AM »

Offline vagrantwade

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
All I know is, The Truth is never going to give us up, never going to let us down. He's never going to run around, and desert us.

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2009, 06:47:26 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I definitely think we can beat the Magic.  We've played rather poorly the entire series and still are tied 2-2. 

I also think there's a decent chance that the C's knew there was a decent chance they could take Chicago and Orlando without KG and that KG isn't nearly as bad as the C's have suggested he is.  I think there's a good chance we will see him "walk through that door" if the C's advance to the Conference Finals. 

« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2009, 07:03:10 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
I definitely think we can beat the Magic.  We've played rather poorly the entire series and still are tied 2-2. 

I also think there's a decent chance that the C's knew there was a decent chance they could take Chicago and Orlando without KG and that KG isn't nearly as bad as the C's have suggested he is.  I think there's a good chance we will see him "walk through that door" if the C's advance to the Conference Finals. 

My thoughts exactly. Prior to the playoffs I felt that we would win against Chicago and Orlando. I still felt that we would win against Orlando after the game 3 loss but I must admit that, at the end of game 4, down 1 with 10 seconds to play, I was desperate, I thought that this time it was it, we were done and no Celtic player was going to save the team with some heroic shot. I was wrong. ;D

We should keep our focus on the Magic though, the series is tied 2-2. The Celtics have a good chance of taking a 3-2 lead tonight (I think that now that they have regained homecourt they won't let it slip because they know how dangerous it would be), we'll see what they do but I think they will prevail in the series.

As for Cleveland I'd say that we have our chances... but I just don't see Pierce defending well on LeBron with all the cumulated fatigue from the season and the first two rounds. However I'm still hoping for a KG comeback if the Celtics reach the ECF.

« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2009, 07:06:05 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
We have more than a chance against the Magic, but against the Cavs without Garnett and Powe, no chance.

« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2009, 07:07:38 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I look at it a couple of ways.

1.) We don't not have a chance. We're still playing so as the 2004 Red Sox proved, anything is possible.

2.) We have a better chance to win it than every team that currently isn't playing anymore.

3.) All things being even, Cleveland is a one trick pony team and one bad fall, one bad landing on someone else's foot, or one bad extra hard hit to his cranium that causes a concussion to LeBron, and Cleveland is history. Stranger things have happened.

I love this team no matter what and am actually starting to feel more emotionally attached to it than the 2008 version that was the sacrifice the individual for the good of the whole team. This is more of a we will overcome, we will adapt, we will persevere type club that for some reason, appeals to me so much more. Kinda like the 2001 Patriots rather than the 2003 or 2004 version of the Pats. The gritty underdogs that everyone said just can't do it against the great team. Giants fans probably know what I'm talking about.

So, even though my head says it doesn't matter if we win or not because we can't go any further than Cleveland, my heart makes me think we have an excellent chance of winning one of those improbable championships and creating a dynasty as KG returns next year and Perk, Baby, Rondo and the younger generation get the torched passed ala Havilcek and the later 60's crowd of Celtics were by Cousy and the earlier 60's crew.

It could happen!!!!!!
well said!
To me with ta and scal hurt at seasons end and powe and garnett done the playoffs are all a bonus.  I am so impressed with our team coming up with ways to win.
ray's 50 pts, rondos domination, eddie going mad etc etc
We are doing what great teams do and finding ways to win, whatever ways the other team can't handle (big baby!)
I'm thinking we can beat orlando and give the cavs a good series.  As others have stated we've played the hard series.

« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2009, 07:16:43 AM »

Offline Slugger

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75

1.) We don't not have a chance. We're still playing so as the 2004 Red Sox proved, anything is possible.

2.) We have a better chance to win it than every team that currently isn't playing anymore.

3.) All things being even, Cleveland is a one trick pony team and one bad fall, one bad landing on someone else's foot, or one bad extra hard hit to his cranium that causes a concussion to LeBron, and Cleveland is history. Stranger things have happened.

I love this team no matter what and am actually starting to feel more emotionally attached to it than the 2008 version that was the sacrifice the individual for the good of the whole team. This is more of a we will overcome, we will adapt, we will persevere type club that for some reason, appeals to me so much more. Kinda like the 2001 Patriots rather than the 2003 or 2004 version of the Pats. The gritty underdogs that everyone said just can't do it against the great team. Giants fans probably know what I'm talking about.

So, even though my head says it doesn't matter if we win or not because we can't go any further than Cleveland, my heart makes me think we have an excellent chance of winning one of those improbable championships and creating a dynasty as KG returns next year and Perk, Baby, Rondo and the younger generation get the torched passed ala Havilcek and the later 60's crowd of Celtics were by Cousy and the earlier 60's crew.

It could happen!!!!!!

Um, what would be that "One Trick" you are talking about?

Are you referring to;
- their excellent team defense,or
- their ability to control the glass (both offensive and defensive)
- their outside shooting
- their go-to man being the games premier offensive talent

Well, which is it?

« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2009, 07:48:30 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
My thought, before the playoffs, was that we could beat the Bulls and the Magic without KG, but probably couldn't advance farther than that.  I still feel that way.  I think the Celts can take a game or two from Cleveland, but I don't think they can win four out of seven against the Cavs without KG.

I'd love to be wrong, though.

i felt exactly the same way, it actually angered my quite a bit when i heard national anylists saying that we couldn't get past the "Might Dwight Howard"

« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2009, 07:53:21 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
To quote Proverbs, "Iron sharpens iron."

Cleveland's playoff foes--a capitulating Pistons team that absolutely lay down, and the wounded, overachieving Hawks--have been positively anemic. I wonder how the Cavs will fare against some real competition.

Conversely, the Celtics have shown a lot of nerve, guts, and hunger during these playoffs. The pundits, erroneously, talk about fatigue; I see a team that's growing more confident in themselves with each hard-fought victory.

I'm not sure how a series against Cleveland will go, but I'm more than willing to find out.
This is a the positive spin on it to be sure but the C's haven't always shown the nerve, guts and hunger thus leading to some questionable efforts/play during the playoffs.  Should they get by Orlando, I hope to see the C's be that team with nerve, guts and hunger to knock off the clear favorite in the series. 

They'll need to hit on all cylinders to win games.  It's not impossible but they've yet to do it in the 1st 2 rounds.

« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2009, 07:53:47 AM »

Offline Slugger

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
My thought, before the playoffs, was that we could beat the Bulls and the Magic without KG, but probably couldn't advance farther than that.  I still feel that way.  I think the Celts can take a game or two from Cleveland, but I don't think they can win four out of seven against the Cavs without KG.

I'd love to be wrong, though.

i felt exactly the same way, it actually angered my quite a bit when i heard national anylists saying that we couldn't get past the "Might Dwight Howard"

Thats still to be decided you know.

« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2009, 07:58:57 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2009, 08:07:54 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

It could happen!!!!!!

Are you referring to;
- their outside shooting

Well, which is it?
Gee, I thought I was pretty clear there. It's easy really. If LeBron goes down, Cleveland is done. He is 30% of their offense and by looking at his On court/Off court numbers

http://www.82games.com/0809/08CLE9.HTM

and a few other stats it clear Cleveland is a bad team when he is not on the floor.

« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2009, 08:12:34 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"

It could happen!!!!!!

Are you referring to;
- their outside shooting

Well, which is it?
Gee, I thought I was pretty clear there. It's easy really. If LeBron goes down, Cleveland is done. He is 30% of their offense and by looking at his On court/Off court numbers

http://www.82games.com/0809/08CLE9.HTM

and a few other stats it clear Cleveland is a bad team when he is not on the floor.

Are Cleveland a playoff team without LeBron? Maybe in the East, but they're not a .500 team. I agree with you, Nick. If something were to happen to LeBron, that would be the end of the Cavs.