Author Topic: Do we have a chance?  (Read 9776 times)

Do we have a chance?
« on: May 11, 2009, 10:22:07 PM »

Offline HYPE.

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 60
  • There can only be one.
If you told me before the Playoffs that we'd be past the first round and in the 2nd round tied with the Magics, I wouldn't believe you for a second. Our best player was injured and shutdown for the rest of the post-season, AND we were facing a much younger, faster, and more agile team. I just didn't see it. I honestly believed that our chances of making it out of the first round and possibly repeating were slim to none, and I'm probably the most optimistic guy you'll meet.

Now look at where we are now. We've just tied the series with an excellent, passionate, and mentally tough team. We killed the Baby Bulls in an intense, best-of-7 series. If that's not enough, we're mad short-handed; missing our two best Power Forwards. The bench is hardly contributing. We're lacking in size. Everyone's physically and mentally exhausted. The starters (minus BBD and Perkins) are doing horribly in this series so far. And yet, look at where we are now. Later this week, we'll probably be advancing to the next round.

Now, my question to you is; do we have a chance? Against the Magic? Against the Cavs?

Do you guys even think we have a chance to make it to the ECF's, dominate the Cavs, then acquire Banner 18?

I do. And I'm not prepared to give up and let down just yet. We're not over 'til the Fat Gundy sings.

Re: Do we have a chance?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 10:25:35 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
My thought, before the playoffs, was that we could beat the Bulls and the Magic without KG, but probably couldn't advance farther than that.  I still feel that way.  I think the Celts can take a game or two from Cleveland, but I don't think they can win four out of seven against the Cavs without KG.

I'd love to be wrong, though.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 10:26:07 PM »

Offline bballdog384

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
  • Rondolope
I think we have a great chance to beat the magic... and we probably will. As for the Cavs, we would need KG to make a return. Even then, we would still probably lose to the Cavs unless Varejao or Big Z gets injured. But hey, it could happen. Also, Perk's shoulder needs to hold up.
"You can't play like a robot" -Coach Stevens

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 10:26:52 PM »

Offline star18

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 72
Boston Celtics, Greatest Team In Professional Sports History. Yeah, I'd say we got a chance.

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 10:27:58 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
My thought, before the playoffs, was that we could beat the Bulls and the Magic without KG, but probably couldn't advance farther than that.  I still feel that way.  I think the Celts can take a game or two from Cleveland, but I don't think they can win four out of seven against the Cavs without KG.

TP. Cleveland - until tonight - looked unbeatable. They still are an absolutely superior defensive club. I agree with Roy - I felt going in we could beat Chicago and Orlando, and that would be it.

And I'd love to be wrong, as well.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 10:31:56 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1676

Hard to say it any better than this. TP.

The key is to get to Game 7, I think.  Anything can happen at that point, especially on a team that has three players who can dominate at any given moment (yes, I'm including Rondo in this statement).  I don't think we beat them in less than 7, but I do think we have a better shot that people may think.

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 10:32:30 PM »

Offline star18

• Jaylen Brown
Yeah you are right. Cavs looked so unbeatable against Will Bynum, wow they are awesome.

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 10:33:12 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE

TP. Cleveland - until tonight - looked unbeatable. They still are an absolutely superior defensive club. I agree with Roy - I felt going in we could beat Chicago and Orlando, and that would be it.

And I'd love to be wrong, as well.

andddddd... I agree with both of you 100% that was my exact opinion before the playoffs after hearing KG would be out.

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 10:36:34 PM »

Offline houseonfire09

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 44
  • Thank you Eddie!
At this point, anything's possible.  If they take the Cavs to 6 or 7, this will be a successful season, I think.  The only way the end of this season could make me mad is if LeBron clotheslines Allen or Pierce as one of them takes a last second shot to win the game and doesn't get a call.  If anything like that happens, I'll side with the conspiracy theorists from now on.
"If David Stern ran the NHL, is there any chance his meal ticket's team would blow a Game 7 in Round 1? Put a pair of skates on Dick Bavetta!" -Bill Simmons

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 10:40:46 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
Yeah you are right. Cavs looked so unbeatable against Will Bynum, wow they are awesome.

As much as I hate the Cavs and LeBron, I can admit they are awesome this year. I don't know why you're throwing Will Bynum under the bus but the Cavs easily handled both a veteran Pistons team and a young agile Hawks team. If I can remember correctly the Celtics had a tough time with both teams in last years playoffs and this years regular season. With that being said I think you should lose the cynicism.

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 10:44:01 PM »

Offline adam8

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54
I think the celts could steal game 1 because the cavs could be rusty but only if they win the magic series in 6 games so they can get a little rest. If they steal that first game then they just need to hang on for dear life at home to win in 6 games and I truely believe if they make it by the cavs they would beat anyone in the west.

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 10:44:23 PM »

Offline star18

• Jaylen Brown
Both teams were a shadow of last year.  Big shot is gone. Prince, Rasheed and Rip played pathetic they didn't try plain and simple. Hawks were hurt. No Horford, Marvin, and JJ missed 2nd half Game 2. Did you see Horford or Marvin do anything tonight. No because they are hurt.

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2009, 10:53:47 PM »

Offline HYPE.

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 60
  • There can only be one.
In response to your guys' replies; "Never underestimate the heart of a champion."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfgHdHfgVyE

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2009, 11:15:54 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I know it's hard to resist the urge but still

Yup

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2009, 11:20:46 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
If you told me before the Playoffs that we'd be past the first round and in the 2nd round tied with the Magics, I wouldn't believe you for a second. Our best player was injured and shutdown for the rest of the post-season, AND we were facing a much younger, faster, and more agile team. I just didn't see it. I honestly believed that our chances of making it out of the first round and possibly repeating were slim to none, and I'm probably the most optimistic guy you'll meet.

Now look at where we are now. We've just tied the series with an excellent, passionate, and mentally tough team. We killed the Baby Bulls in an intense, best-of-7 series. If that's not enough, we're mad short-handed; missing our two best Power Forwards. The bench is hardly contributing. We're lacking in size. Everyone's physically and mentally exhausted. The starters (minus BBD and Perkins) are doing horribly in this series so far. And yet, look at where we are now. Later this week, we'll probably be advancing to the next round.

Now, my question to you is; do we have a chance? Against the Magic? Against the Cavs?

Do you guys even think we have a chance to make it to the ECF's, dominate the Cavs, then acquire Banner 18?

I do. And I'm not prepared to give up and let down just yet. We're not over 'til the Fat Gundy sings.
I always felt we had a chance with Orlando. I really haven't seen anything to build any confidence in me regarding facing Cleveland.