Author Topic: Only 2 points off the bench in Game 4  (Read 3526 times)

Re: Only 2 points off the bench in Game 4
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2009, 06:57:20 AM »

Offline Reddo

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
This is going to be a big part of the offseason. McDyess or Sheed, please.

Can't really afford either guy at this point.  Remember, McDyess took a hometown discount to stay in Detroit, so he'll be looking to get paid.  Sheed is looking for 8 million a year which is also out of our price range.

Honestly, if we get healthy with KG and Powe, our bench just needs a backup point guard and that's it.

That's assuming we resign both Power and BBD, which will be tough in the first place.

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2009, 07:35:51 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Disagree in total.

Priority one is a competent backup at the three, preferably a combination of defense and shooting. The lack of one all season is one big reason why Pierce has struggled in the playoffs.

Then, a backup 5.

This bench is FAR from championship quality and is going to require at least three significant additions or it will hurt this club next year the way its hurt it all season this year. Too many prospects, too many suspects, not nearly enough quality.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 07:44:06 AM by CoachBo »
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2009, 07:44:12 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Disagree in total.

Priority one is a competent backup at the three, preferably a combination of defense and shooting. The lack of one all season is one big reason why Pierce has struggled in the playoffs.

Then, a backup 5.

This bench is FAR from championship quality and is going to require at least three significant additions or it will hurt this club next year the way its hurt it all season this year.
I agree except where you say the bench isn't championship quality.  We could definitely win a championship this year with KG healthy.

But you're right we need a backup three for defense and spacing in the worst way. Heck I would just settle for a defensive presence.

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2009, 07:47:52 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Disagree in total.

Then, a backup 5.

This bench is FAR from championship quality and is going to require at least three significant additions or it will hurt this club next year the way its hurt it all season this year.
I agree except where you say the bench isn't championship quality.  We could definitely win a championship this year with KG healthy.

But you're right we need a backup three for defense and spacing in the worst way. Heck I would just settle for a defensive presence.

It's touch and go in my mind with Garnett healthy, frankly. We'd have Davis and Powe - and not much else. Maybe a little House on a few nights if the officials will let us screen. And Pierce would still be struggling because of the inexplicable decision to pass on the quality backup at the 3.

I don't think this team's ever been as strong as the one that ended last season, in a year when Cleveland has upgraded significantly - and is playing at a very, very high level right now. And given the age of the Big 3, I think it was just irresponsible to build a bench like this.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 08:00:50 AM by CoachBo »
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2009, 03:11:07 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
Disagree in total.

Then, a backup 5.

It's touch and go in my mind with Garnett healthy, frankly. We'd have Davis and Powe - and not much else. Maybe a little House on a few nights if the officials will let us screen. And Pierce would still be struggling because of the inexplicable decision to pass on the quality backup at the 3.

I don't think this team's ever been as strong as the one that ended last season, in a year when Cleveland has upgraded significantly - and is playing at a very, very high level right now. And given the age of the Big 3, I think it was just irresponsible to build a bench like this.

So let's say the Celtics don't upgrade Baby and Powe. What does anyone think of the idea of Garnett off the bench? He could still play 35-40 minutes per game, but I think Davis plays much better starting and with Garnett, House, Marbury, Powe, maybe Walker it's not a bad bench. Personally I like the idea, but I might be the only one.