Author Topic: The C's depth  (Read 4808 times)

Re: The C's depth
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2009, 02:21:45 AM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1679
Not saying all these moves needed to have been made, but 1 or 2 would have been nice and inexpensive and helped our depth:

Chalmers over Giddens
Barnes over T. Allen and D. Miles
Birdman over O'Bryant
Joe Smith or Dikembe over Mikki Moore

I'm sure there are more, but those are the ones off the top of my head. We lost our 6th and 7th man (Posey and PJ) and added who to replace them? Ainge/Wyc went hitless.

I agree with 2, 3 and 4, but not 1.  Chalmers survives in Miami because he doesn't have to run an offense 75% of the time.  He defends the opposing PG, gambles, and shoots the open 3 when Wade passes him the ball.  If he came here where he actually had to learn and run a system, he'd have been in the same position as Pruitt.  Besides, haven't you heard of all of the trouble he's been in this year?  From the rookie camp to all of the 'fines' that have been slapped on him by his team, he's been somewhat of an annoyance.  The whole "we're young, we're going to make mistakes" excuse doesn't fly - college was the time to mature and get these incidents out of the way, the NBA is the time to be a professional.

400th post, for what it's worth.

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2009, 04:42:37 AM »

Offline thedawg

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11
I totally agree with the maker of this topic. I cannot talk about inside stuff I dont know about but POB would have given us much more than Mikki Moore in the playoffs now since he would be awarded probably around 15-20 mins per game now to share the load with the other big players.  At some point, young players must get their experience.
In Danny Ainge I Trust!

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2009, 06:40:32 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I'm not so sure.  I think it as likely we'd be looking at POB stapled to the bench while Doc trotted out another five-guard lineup.

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2009, 07:33:28 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
O'Blount and Mikki are equally bad. Both major misses.

I don't think we know if Giddens can play, but he's clearly not impressed the staff.

The conclusion stands: Ainge and Wyc had a terrible summer.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2009, 07:47:03 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Barnes over T. Allen and D. Miles
Joe Smith or Dikembe over Mikki Moore
Barnes didn't want to come to the east coast unless he got more money from us than what the Suns were going to give him. Maybe even not then.

I still don't believe that Deke/Smith were every going to come here push come to shove. Houston/Cleveland were both going to get their guys.

The hole at 3 is the biggest and most glaring failure this off season. Tony clearly isn't the answer at this point, so we need to try someone else.

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2009, 09:17:37 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Not to rehash the same old topic but something that goes into this is getting players that your coach will trust come playoff time. Clearly the bench that Doc has been saddled with is full of players that Doc doesn't find trustworthy to use in pressure situations like the playoffs.

If that is the case, why re-sign Tony Allen when last year it was evident that Doc would never use him in a playoff atmosphere? Tony's healthy and not being used because his coach doesn't trust putting him on the court with important games on the line. He feels the same way with Moore, always did with O'Bryant as he was highly critical of the kid from the get go and unlike the year before with Baby, Giddens and Walker showed him nothing to trust in.

This is a team contending for a championship and saddling your coach with 6-8 players throughout the season that your coach will never trust to use in pressure situations, big games, or the playoffs is incomprehensible to me.

Ainge brought back one player that Doc trusted and that was Eddie. Tony, POB, Moore, Giddens, Walker, Pruitt, and Marbury are all players that Doc has no faith and and really probably shouldn't. If Ainge had brought in players that were proven vets that Doc could have built a relationship with and grew to trust, things would be quite different right now.

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2009, 09:42:04 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I don't think we know if Giddens can play, but he's clearly not impressed the staff.

Moore is only an issue because of injuries. Which playoff team can stand to lose their best big and a regular rotation big and not have depth issues? Who was Chicago's 5th big? Who is Orlando's? Did either of them even play in the playoffs?

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2009, 10:36:47 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

Moore is only an issue because of injuries. Which playoff team can stand to lose their best big and a regular rotation big and not have depth issues? Who was Chicago's 5th big? Who is Orlando's? Did either of them even play in the playoffs?

Agree completely Bball,

Moore next to Garnett and Powe would have done okay.  We got nailed by injury more than anything in the offseason...

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2009, 10:58:00 AM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
In my honest opinion, I don't think our bench (as it is currently comprised) would have been enough to elevate us to another championship even if Garnett and Powe hadn't been injured.

Once again, DA needs to realize that this team is built for the here and now... the Celtics might realistically have only one more year of being true contenders before some serious rebuilding needs to occur. This is THE time to go all in.

Worst case scenario, nothing pans out and then at least we'll be well prepared (as far as contracts/talent) to blow the team apart and start over again.

I disagree.

we have the talent even without KG to win a title. We just have no heart or defined leadership without him.

This can't be serious. Without KG, the Celts in no way have the talent to win a championship.
That's funny. My bigger beef was with the suggestion that the team has no heart without KG. These guys don't have heart? If they had no heart, they would have folded against Chicago. I still think they'll beat Orlando. Making it to the conference finals without KG takes talent or heart or both. And someone is suggesting that this team has neither. Strange perspective if you ask me.

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2009, 11:03:44 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
In my honest opinion, I don't think our bench (as it is currently comprised) would have been enough to elevate us to another championship even if Garnett and Powe hadn't been injured.

Once again, DA needs to realize that this team is built for the here and now... the Celtics might realistically have only one more year of being true contenders before some serious rebuilding needs to occur. This is THE time to go all in.

Worst case scenario, nothing pans out and then at least we'll be well prepared (as far as contracts/talent) to blow the team apart and start over again.

I disagree.

we have the talent even without KG to win a title. We just have no heart or defined leadership without him.

This can't be serious. Without KG, the Celts in no way have the talent to win a championship.
That's funny. My bigger beef was with the suggestion that the team has no heart without KG. These guys don't have heart? If they had no heart, they would have folded against Chicago. I still think they'll beat Orlando. Making it to the conference finals without KG takes talent or heart or both. And someone is suggesting that this team has neither. Strange perspective if you ask me.

Yes, this team's heart is not even debatable.  From Doc to Heinsoln to Charles Barkely saying it yesterday....this team has heart...

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2009, 11:18:37 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Exactly--no shortage of heart here.  Sometimes the head might be missing a bit..