Author Topic: The C's depth  (Read 4809 times)

The C's depth
« on: May 10, 2009, 01:32:44 AM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
Someone created a thread talking about how the Cavs are so deep. I attempted to reply, but I think the person deleted the thread or something, but depth is a good topic. You need to have depth, so if a KG and Powe get hurt, you don't have guys who weren't even good enough to make the playoff roster on last yr's championship team, all of a sudden be called upon to be our 6th man. Here was my post to the response on the Cavs depth:

But Ainge/Wyc resigned Tony Allen, drafted Giddens and Walker, signed POB, Miles, Cassell, Marbury, and Moore? That's 8 additions. We have so much depth! I'm so glad we passed on Posey, Barnes, Nocioni, Birdman, Deke, McDyess, Chalmers, and Joe Smith.  ::)

Depth is killing us this yr. No offense to Scal, but when we won the title last yr, he wasn't even suiting up, b/c we had 12 players in front of him. Now he's our 6th man? I could see Scal as a 10, 11, or 12th man, but the fact that he's our 6th man and only big off the bench (and based on his size an undersized big at that), shows our depth problem. This is not intended to dog Scal. Scal came back from the concussions and is playing hard. He is what he is and is trying to step up, which should be commended, but Ainge really wiffed on all his pet projects. I'm just glad he didn't trade Rondo for Robert Swift.

Re: The C's depth
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 03:25:58 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Kiddie pool.

That's a good analogy.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 04:10:30 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Boo. Scal is our only big off the bench? Danny didn't do a good job with depth? Leon Powe is out for the year and becuase of KG's injury the other bench big is starting. Mikki Moore was a good pick up, back when Leon, and Baby were healthy and KG was thought to be returning. Danny's "failures" of the offseason has the be the most overkilled topic on this board. IMO O'Bryant could have given us the same thing Mikki does except he's faster, taller, more atheletic, and can score better... plus he's 10 years younger.

Why can't everyone realize that these "projects" are important becuase you can't rebuild a long term winning team with just 3 old players, youth is important to keeping a team at the top of the league, not just signing more old players to fill in gaps every year. Some of our role players have to be players that can at some point step into starting roles... we don't have any of those, and the closest is BBD who could be playing his way out of town.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 04:48:27 AM by xmuscularghandix »

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 11:04:36 AM »

Offline yoursweatersux

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 45
Boo. Scal is our only big off the bench? Danny didn't do a good job with depth? Leon Powe is out for the year and becuase of KG's injury the other bench big is starting. Mikki Moore was a good pick up, back when Leon, and Baby were healthy and KG was thought to be returning. Danny's "failures" of the offseason has the be the most overkilled topic on this board. IMO O'Bryant could have given us the same thing Mikki does except he's faster, taller, more atheletic, and can score better... plus he's 10 years younger.

Why can't everyone realize that these "projects" are important becuase you can't rebuild a long term winning team with just 3 old players, youth is important to keeping a team at the top of the league, not just signing more old players to fill in gaps every year. Some of our role players have to be players that can at some point step into starting roles... we don't have any of those, and the closest is BBD who could be playing his way out of town.

First of all, anybody who says that Patrick O'Bryant could have given this team ANYTHING should be held highly suspect. POB straight up sucks and that will likely never change.

Secondly, Bill Walker and J.R. Smith are two players that could potentially step into starting roles in the future.

And lastly, I pretty much agree with everything the original poster said. TP for him.

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 11:31:53 AM »

Offline Ed Teach

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 8
I am fine with projects I think everyone realizes they are important, but the Celtics went overboard this offseason with projects.
Lets list the projects: Gabe, POB, Giddens, Walker, Tony Allen.
I can't believe anyone would try to defend the Celtics off season.  Why did we resign Sam Casell?? He occupied a roster spot for 75% of the season while not playing in a single game.  If we wanted him as a coach we should have hired him as a coach.  His spot should have been used for a wing or back-up PG that actually played.

I think that after 2008 season where we had almost no injuries, that the Celtics forgot that NBA players do get hurt.  Before the season even started, looking  at the roster had people worried that the Celtics might be asking too much from the starting 5.  As it turns out those concerns were valid, If and that is a big if there had been no injuries the depth issues would not have been as noticeable as they are right now.

There is no use crying over spilled milk, but I hope DA and the Celtics learned from this season and next year we have a better mix of cabable reserves and young project guys with potential.

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 06:58:44 PM »

Offline yoursweatersux

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 45
In my honest opinion, I don't think our bench (as it is currently comprised) would have been enough to elevate us to another championship even if Garnett and Powe hadn't been injured.

Once again, DA needs to realize that this team is built for the here and now... the Celtics might realistically have only one more year of being true contenders before some serious rebuilding needs to occur. This is THE time to go all in.

Worst case scenario, nothing pans out and then at least we'll be well prepared (as far as contracts/talent) to blow the team apart and start over again.

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 07:03:35 PM »

Offline vagrantwade

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
In my honest opinion, I don't think our bench (as it is currently comprised) would have been enough to elevate us to another championship even if Garnett and Powe hadn't been injured.

Once again, DA needs to realize that this team is built for the here and now... the Celtics might realistically have only one more year of being true contenders before some serious rebuilding needs to occur. This is THE time to go all in.

Worst case scenario, nothing pans out and then at least we'll be well prepared (as far as contracts/talent) to blow the team apart and start over again.

I disagree.

we have the talent even without KG to win a title. We just have no heart or defined leadership without him.

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 07:08:06 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!

i heard danny say the fans wanted a banner now and thats what he did, he made us happy

;D

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 07:12:10 PM »

Offline vagrantwade

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
No matter how many titles a team wins, the fans will never be happy. You will always expect/want it the following year.

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2009, 08:11:21 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
As has been pointed out on this board before, there's always room for one or two projects.

The problem is that Ainge built a bench out of projects and suspects. And, in large part, he guessed wrong on the players he chose. Hence, we have very few options without Garnett, or when fouls rear their head, in the playoffs.

It was foolish and fatal to this team's prospects to cheap-out and build an entire bench the way Ainge and Grousbeck built it.

They've got to change their thinking for next season.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2009, 11:08:05 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429

I disagree.

we have the talent even without KG to win a title. We just have no heart or defined leadership without him.

This can't be serious. Without KG, the Celts in no way have the talent to win a championship.

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2009, 11:15:08 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

I disagree.

This can't be serious. Without KG, the Celts in no way have the talent to win a championship.

You can't look at this bench - two points tonight - and seriously think that it's of championship caliber. It never has been.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2009, 11:24:58 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I hope this year show Ainge and Wyc that you need to build a quality bench.

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2009, 01:50:07 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

The starters would certainly be capable of elevating us to another championship, though. If we were bringing Davis and Powe off the bench I doubt there would be any "Only 2 points off the bench" threads.

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2009, 02:05:07 AM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
Not saying all these moves needed to have been made, but 1 or 2 would have been nice and inexpensive and helped our depth:

Chalmers over Giddens
Barnes over T. Allen and D. Miles
Birdman over O'Bryant
Joe Smith or Dikembe over Mikki Moore

I'm sure there are more, but those are the ones off the top of my head. We lost our 6th and 7th man (Posey and PJ) and added who to replace them? Ainge/Wyc went hitless.