Author Topic: Powe Out For Remainder Of Playoffs  (Read 12286 times)

Re: Boston.com reporting POWE DONE FOR SEASON
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2009, 12:56:55 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
On the bright side, now we're pretty much a lock to resign Powe next season.   :-\

Has any playoff team's front line ever been in such dire straits??  Seriously, I can't think of any other team who had it this bad before.  

Between the twin knee surgeries for KG and Powe, and Scal's career ending PCS - this is getting insane.  You can't defend a title when your backup PF is a 6'6" rookie swing guard.  

Re: Powe Out For Remainder Of Playoffs
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2009, 12:58:32 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Ouch. I hope it's nothing too serious and that he's ready to play by the start of the training camp. The ECF are becoming a mirage.

Btw, a "knee sprain"? Now every injury is a "sprain"? I'd like to know how serious this may be, why haven't they released the information what kind of injury we're talking about here?

Well, it's been what, 15 hours since the injury?  I am sure we will find out a little more, if this is in fact true, and they announce he is having surgery.

Although I will say, the C's still have a chance at earning the right to be destroyed by the Cavs.  If they can get by the Bulls with smoke and mirrors (or Pierce realizing that he is also an All-Star), the Magic are looking a lot less formidable.  The C's still match up with them well (especially if Scal does come back).  It won't be easy, but its still a very real possibility.  But of course it would likely be a futile effort anyways, because there is no way they are beating the Cavs without Powe and Garnett.

Right now I feel like making the ECF would be like winning the Finals for this team.  That's how excited I'd be.  With all of our injuries and what not we have no business making it there, especially with the way we've played so far in the playoffs against a 7 seed (yeah, the Bulls are playing like a 4 seed, but so what). 

I won't even be that disappointed anymore if we lose in the first round.  The world just seems against us this year, and it's really tiresome.  It will almost be a relief when it's over and I can go on and watch the rest of the league get destroyed by the Cavs and the Lakers and then proceed to not watch the Finals.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2009, 01:04:42 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
mikki moore needs some shark adrenaline.

This sucks! >:(  Mikki better step up! >:(

Feel bad for Powe though. :(
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2009, 01:08:58 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
I would not doubt this team.

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2009, 01:11:23 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

I would never doubt the Celtics we know.  Unfortunately this is looking less and less like the Celtics we know as they lose more players / players get injured.

With two old starters, a pg with a hurt ankle, and a couple [usually] foul prone bigs, one of whom desperately lacks height, we'll have to rely on our bench.  The bench which is pretty weak right now. 
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2009, 01:21:03 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429

To me it is not doubt. It is reality. With Leon Powe, Glen Davis and Mikki Moore as our three "bigs," this team is toast.

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2009, 01:46:42 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I doubt they will do this, but can NBA teams sign FA players after playoffs start?
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2009, 01:54:15 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
The Celtics are cursed, the repeat is likely impossible, this news just confirm it. Like I said in my reaction to the blog's article, I just hope that Powe'll recover quickly and that his surgery will be successful. I'm just expecting the team to fight till the end and never give up. Do your best to advance, that's all I'm asking from the Celtics. The injuries really destroyed our chances, and it really hurts.

Re: Boston.com reporting POWE DONE FOR SEASON
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2009, 01:57:30 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
On the bright side, now we're pretty much a lock to resign Powe next season.   :-\

Has any playoff team's front line ever been in such dire straits??  Seriously, I can't think of any other team who had it this bad before.  

Between the twin knee surgeries for KG and Powe, and Scal's career ending PCS - this is getting insane.  You can't defend a title when your backup PF is a 6'6" rookie swing guard.  
agree with the resigning
gotta feel bad for a guy who has worked so hard through injuries already
side note: how tough is he? that much damage and he winced?

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2009, 02:00:31 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
aside from a fan of the celtics' response.....i feel really bad about this.  i respect and like leon more than a ballplayer, but respect and like him more as a person.  to endure what he has been through and achieve what he has, he is the epitome of determination, courage, and hard work.  i have been fortunate enough to have a couple conversations with the man and he is extremely down to earth, thankful, and kind.

i hope he can bounce back. 

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2009, 02:06:33 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Man, I feel really bad for him.  Get well soon Powe!
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2009, 02:15:01 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
aside from a fan of the celtics' response.....i feel really bad about this.  i respect and like leon more than a ballplayer, but respect and like him more as a person.  to endure what he has been through and achieve what he has, he is the epitome of determination, courage, and hard work.  i have been fortunate enough to have a couple conversations with the man and he is extremely down to earth, thankful, and kind.

TP for the insight into 1-1 conversations. He seems that way in interviews, but you never really know until you actually have a chance to talk to a guy. He is everything you said and although I have started to change my tune about BBD's place on this team with his elevation in his play, if I only get one these reasons are why he is my choice. He deserves everything positive he gets in life.

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2009, 02:25:07 PM »

Offline expobear

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 27

Nice post!

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2009, 02:27:50 PM »

Offline youcanthandlethetruth113

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 153
I am disgusted with how quickly the injuries are piling up.
"Perk is not an alley-oop guy" - Tommy Heinson - Feb 27th 2008 vs. Cleveland

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2009, 02:30:40 PM »

Offline expobear

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 27

TP for the insight into 1-1 conversations. He seems that way in interviews, but you never really know until you actually have a chance to talk to a guy. He is everything you said and although I have started to change my tune about BBD's place on this team with his elevation in his play, if I only get one these reasons are why he is my choice. He deserves everything positive he gets in life.

Another TP post!

I'll admit, I'm a Powe fan, not really a Celtics fan. Powe has been through so much in his short life, it really is incomprehensible to most of us sports fans. But if there is anybody who can deal with another blow like this, it is Leon. Here's hoping to a speedy and full recovery for Leon.

And a hearty "Go Bears" for Leon from all us Bear fans.