Author Topic: Barefoot heights on the Celtics  (Read 9822 times)

Re: Barefoot heights on the Celtics
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2009, 03:19:59 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Leon is still a helluva better player then BBD even if he's shorter.

i dont know, i think this is overrated...they're very close.
When they're both at their best, Baby is a good complementary player who'll score points off of broken plays or double teams (on KG) whereas Powe at HIS best is a reliable scoring option and can score a lot in little time, which I don't think Big Baby has the capability of doing, ever. But that's just me.

Agree to disagree, I think Baby might actually be better, especially defensively. I know Powe is a fan favorite and all, but he has regressed this season and because he had a good game in the finals hes overrated
Agree. And let's not forget Baby can play inside or out now that he's hitting that 18 footer semi-regularly. When people start runing out at him to stop that shot once they know he can make it Baby has some decent quickness and dribbling aility for a man his size. His offense definitely has a lot more upside than Powe's.

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2009, 03:24:31 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

When they're both at their best, Baby is a good complementary player who'll score points off of broken plays or double teams (on KG) whereas Powe at HIS best is a reliable scoring option and can score a lot in little time, which I don't think Big Baby has the capability of doing, ever. But that's just me.

I think this is absolutely true.  But you are missing the other half of the court.  Davis is very much superior to Powe defensively...mainly because Powe is constantly missing his rotations that lead to layups.

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2009, 03:28:35 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107

I think this is absolutely true.  But you are missing the other half of the court.  Davis is very much superior to Powe defensively...mainly because Powe is constantly missing his rotations that lead to layups.

There are things BBD does better on the offensive end as well...Like Pass, set screens and knock down jumpshots...while leon is becoming one dimensional and a black hole...and would the guy please finish instead of trying to get fouled
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 03:43:26 PM by TatteredOnMySleeve »
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2009, 04:11:27 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Height alone means nothing.  What matters is standing reach.  Powe has very long arms.

Perkins also has very long arms, which is one reason why he's a good shot blocker even though he's not a great leaper.

BBD does not have long arms. While is a more skilled all-around player than Powe, BBD has still not learned how to upfake, absorb contact and finish at the rim.  He has to learn to shoot when the defender is on the way down, not on the way up.

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2009, 04:57:45 PM »

Offline JPMmiles

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 3

I had the opportunity to sit a few rows from the court two nights ago (sucks they lost) and Rondo, who always seemed a lot taller than House, is really only about Eddie's height. 5'11.75" was House's barefoot height coming out of college. Rondo's about that, or mayyybee a smidge taller. Maybe an even 6 foot.

I actually met Rondo in person.  Level floor, face to face.  We're the same height, or maybe he's a half-inch shorter.  I'm a solid 6'2", which I believe is his listing.  No BS there.

It doesn't really matter though.  Pierce started off listed at 6'6".  He was 6'7" last year and the start of this year.  Now he's back to 6'6".  Whatever.

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2009, 05:20:10 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I'd say KG is 7'2". I've seen him standing next to POB and Kg is taller. And I think POB is a legit 7'.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2009, 05:26:00 PM »

Offline TradeProposalDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 56

I had the opportunity to sit a few rows from the court two nights ago (sucks they lost) and Rondo, who always seemed a lot taller than House, is really only about Eddie's height. 5'11.75" was House's barefoot height coming out of college. Rondo's about that, or mayyybee a smidge taller. Maybe an even 6 foot.

I actually met Rondo in person.  Level floor, face to face.  We're the same height, or maybe he's a half-inch shorter.  I'm a solid 6'2", which I believe is his listing.  No BS there.

It doesn't really matter though.  Pierce started off listed at 6'6".  He was 6'7" last year and the start of this year.  Now he's back to 6'6".  Whatever.

No sale. I used to think he was closer to 6'2" at one point as well, and he's definitely not that tall. Are you sure you're talking without shoes? The discussion is barefoot heights. The man's no taller than 6'0".

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/79817962.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1935FB17706AA75D20189B5DD298B0FE5D2B1DC5372FFCBAEC3

Here's a picture of Rondo standing next to Seimone Augustus, a WNBA player, who's listed at 6'0". If Rondo's taller, it's only by like a 1/4 inch, if even that.

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2009, 05:28:50 PM »

• Jaylen Brown
I'd say KG is 7'2". I've seen him standing next to POB and Kg is taller. And I think POB is a legit 7'.
POB is 6'11" barefoot, according to the combine listing.

KG's stated on many occassions that he's 6'11.75." Mike Olowokandi, who's also 6'11.75" barefoot, says KG is 7 feet. Who but a guy that height would know better? That does sound about right anyway. I don't think he's anywhere near 7'2", though 7'0" sounds accurate for KG.

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2009, 05:36:30 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
POB is 6'11" barefoot, according to the combine listing.

KG's stated on many occassions that he's 6'11.75." Mike Olowokandi, who's also 6'11.75" barefoot, says KG is 7 feet. Who but a guy that height would know better? That does sound about right anyway. I don't think he's anywhere near 7'2", though 7'0" sounds accurate for KG.
If KG was known as a 7-footer, his accomplishments would be looked at differently than they are now. A 7-footer who shoots mainly jumpers has a different ring to it than a 6-11 guy who shoots jumpers.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2009, 06:01:51 PM »

• Jaylen Brown
If KG was known as a 7-footer, his accomplishments would be looked at differently than they are now. A 7-footer who shoots mainly jumpers has a different ring to it than a 6-11 guy who shoots jumpers.
Exactly it's all in how you word it. KG doesn't want to be remembered as a soft 7 footer who chose to take jumpers instead of drive to the rim. Being "under" 7 foot and playing the way he does instead gives him labels like "versatile" and "an overall player" who can ALSO do traditional big man things.

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2009, 06:09:06 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280

Hell even though I like Leon more, i've grown used to having them as a bundle pack.
Sort of like matching bookends.

I know, we can give them a nickname. Like Big Baby Powe. Or the UPCs (Undersized Powerful Celtics). Leon Davis? Babeon??

the UPC's that it right there.