Author Topic: Does Atlanta Have More Talent Than Cleveland?  (Read 6319 times)

Does Atlanta Have More Talent Than Cleveland?
« on: May 09, 2008, 09:56:14 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I think so.  Outside of Lebron, how many players on the Cavs are better than any of the starting 5 on the Hawks team?

Mike Bibby > Delonte or Gibson
Joe Johnson > Anyone on the Cavs (except Lebron)
Al Horford > Any Cav except Lebron
Josh Smith > Any Cav except Lebron and Ilgauskas

Cleveland only has 2 starting caliber players on their team imo (Lebron and Z).  The rest of the team are all role players.  Lebron is not going to win a championship with that squad.  That was a terrible trade.  I bet Lebron is regretting it now.

If the Celtics can defend Lebron well in Cleveland, the C's should have an easier time closing out this series than they did with the Hawks.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

Re: Does Atlanta Have More Talent Than Cleveland?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 10:00:39 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I think they're easily more talented, but they're not a better team.  They are very capable using their energy and athletism at times and catch people offguard, which can make them a dangerous team. But the Cavs would eat them out head to head in my opinion.

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 10:07:08 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
I think they're easily more talented, but they're not a better team.  They are very capable using their energy and athletism at times and catch people offguard, which can make them a dangerous team. But the Cavs would eat them out head to head in my opinion.

I think Cleveland would beat the young Hawks too, but only because Cleveland plays good defense.

Wouldn't Lebron love to have just one of the Hawk's starters in his starting lineup?
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 10:07:29 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
No.  They don't.

Boston beat Atlanta around 20 points every home game.

Boston never showed up on the road. 

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 10:12:37 AM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129
Mike Bibby had talent, he doesn't anymore.  There is more to basketball than offense (although you would never know that if you watched Bibby since i am not sure he knows waht defense is).

I would love to see Horford, Johnson or Smith on the Cavs

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 10:14:22 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Much more talent than the cavs... The cavs just have the slight edge of a better bench.

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 10:15:17 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Lebron needs someone who can create easy shots for Lebron.

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 10:18:01 AM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73
I would take Delonte over Bibby any day.  And im not just saying this because I love Delonte or because I hate Bibby, I really think Delonte is the better player.  Bibby has a better mid range shot and is maybe a better passer.  Delonte beats him out in every other catergory IMO. 
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 10:24:15 AM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129
Honestly, player to player there is probably more talent on the Hawks.  Talent isn't what wins games though.  The Knicks have a lot of talent (they have a great NBA Live roster), the problem is the players don't mesh well at all.  Chemistry and coaching with decent talent will always be able to beat excellent talent alone

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 10:25:27 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
atlanta doesn't have mroe talent, but it has more athletes, and plays a full court game.

If you look at the season, We struggled with teams that were very young and athletic, our defense is best in the half court, transision D can be a weakness for us.

Look at some of our tougher regular season matchups- The bobcats, the wizards, sixers, and some close games against other young fast teams.

Clevlands problem is they WANT to play half court. How many times last night did james walk it up and waste 5-6 seconds setting them up in the half court?

If cleveland wants to play a half  court game focused on lebron due to its lack of athletes, i liek our chances in clevland.

If mike brown is smart, he'll start joe smith and gibson at the 2, and tell them to push the ball up tempo to lebron as hard and fast as they can.

Here's hoping they stay half court
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 10:34:44 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
No.  They don't.

Just because Boston struggled with Atlanta doesn't mean they don't have more talent than Cleveland.  Cleveland is definitely deeper (and they have Lebron so they would definitely beat Atlanta), but after Lebron and Z, not one player on the Cavs is better than 4 of Atlanta's starters, imo (I'm not including Bibby).

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 10:42:13 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
No.  They don't.

Just because Boston struggled with Atlanta doesn't mean they don't have more talent than Cleveland.  Cleveland is definitely deeper (and they have Lebron so they would definitely beat Atlanta), but after Lebron and Z, not one player on the Cavs is better than 4 of Atlanta's starters, imo (I'm not including Bibby).

The problem with both teams is the majority of their players are the same thing.

Atlanta, athletic 2/3 guys. 

Cleveland, jumpshooters. 

Now if they could mix and match some of their players, they could have two better and more balanced team. 

The difference, you wouldn't trade James for the top 4 players on Atlanta. 

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 10:43:18 AM »

Offline CT34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
In the NBA it's all about match-ups.  It's not that the Hawks have more talent then the Cavs or the Cavs has more talent then Hawks. Atlanta just match-up up well with the Cs.  The teams that have given the Cs problem all season have been those young, fast, athletic teams.  Beside LeBron James who fits that bill for Cleveland?  

I think we should hold off comparing this series to the Atlanta one because so far the Cs haven't done anything different.  They started out both series 2-0. Now let see if they get can at least 1 game in Cleveland.  

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2008, 10:44:45 AM »

Offline EnP24

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 9
The Hawks are all talented athletic players but as we all know that does not translate into good basketball players.

Talent/ athleticism = Gerald Green, Josh Smith

Basketball IQ/ Knowledge of the game = Big Z

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2008, 10:55:24 AM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73
The Hawks are all talented athletic players but as we all know that does not translate into good basketball players.

Talent/ athleticism = Gerald Green, Josh Smith

Basketball IQ/ Knowledge of the game = Big Z

Josh Smith is so much smarter than GG its not even funny.         It really isnt.
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.