Author Topic: lets lock up James Posey  (Read 9725 times)

lets lock up James Posey
« on: May 08, 2008, 08:30:06 PM »

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 24
How in the world did ainge convince this guy to sign for 3.5 million is beyond me. I guess for posey the ring is the most important thing so it does not matter. But next year before he jets to another team easily for more money, we need to tell him to drop his option and sign him to a 4 year 20 million deal.

He is killing lebron by himself in this series. He is the best defensive sf in the league forward period.

4 year 20 million, do it ainge

Re: lets lock up James Posey
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 08:34:26 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
If Ainge can convince him not to opt out, the Celtics can use that money to get even better.

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 08:38:46 PM »

Offline BASSTHUMPER

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 352
i like posey..i'm tired of seein good playas leave this team and balla crazy sum where else...posey is a keeper...

i miss wally...

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 10:11:42 PM »

Offline Greeny

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23
  • LETS DO IT AGAIN!
Get better?

Besides KG, Posey is an emotional leader and key to this team.
Just watch the pregame....
You can't replace that.

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 10:22:01 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
If Ainge can convince him not to opt out, the Celtics can use that money to get even better.

That is an "Opt-out" to exercise Larry Bird rights type of deal. I bet Ainge sold that idea.

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 10:26:09 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I agree.  Lock up Posey.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 10:29:06 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
20 mil isn't enough for four.

Four years, 28 mil. We've got roster players we can dump to help make up some of the difference.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 10:30:31 PM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266
I agree also,lock him up... Bankshot you beat me to it. ;D

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 10:38:35 PM »

Offline tanner

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 33
20 mil isn't enough for four.

Four years, 28 mil. We've got roster players we can dump to help make up some of the difference.
in a heartbeat sign him now for 4/20m but 4 years/28m?  I have to think it over.

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 10:56:40 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Nothing to think about. Drop Tony Allen. That's probably 3.5 mil right there and we do not need TA at all.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 10:59:12 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
I agree.  Lock up Posey.

I agree also,lock him up... Bankshot you beat me to it. ;D

i agree...u both beat me to it!  ;)

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 11:17:39 PM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 41
Posey is 30-31 and you want to lock him up for 4 more years? He might be of great value for a few years but his defense wont be as effective as he gets older. Posey is past his prime and it would be a bad move financially to give him that kind of deal.

I love Posey as a player and what he brings, but you cant make bad financial decisions or it will hurt you in the future. We cant sign Posey long term and then not have the money to sign FA's to help boost the team as the Big 3 grow older and Ray thinks about retirement.

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 11:22:51 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Posey is 30-31 and you want to lock him up for 4 more years? He might be of great value for a few years but his defense wont be as effective as he gets older. Posey is past his prime and it would be a bad move financially to give him that kind of deal.

I love Posey as a player and what he brings, but you cant make bad financial decisions or it will hurt you in the future. We cant sign Posey long term and then not have the money to sign FA's to help boost the team as the Big 3 grow older and Ray thinks about retirement.

I'm about as high on Posey right now(who needs drugs ;) ), as I've been of any Celtic in a long time, but I tend to agree with you.  If we work out a Tim Wakefield type deal then, great.  I think one-year at a time is going to have to be the way to go with a few of the low/middle salary guys.
Yup

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2008, 11:30:40 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
No role player (outside of Rondo) should be signed longterm. 

Posey is great for the team now.  He isn't going to be what they need in 3-4 years when it is likely time to rebuild.

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2008, 11:52:56 PM »

Offline fan33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 5
The MAN is a well preserved key player on this team for at least as long as K.G. is here and has been key all year long since he first signed.

I agree, lock the Poze in for 3 years or 2 if he would take it, I leave that to the brain trust.

I can see a great shot here at 17 & 18 and perhaps 19 by keeping this defensively dominate team together!

I love the game the man brings, way more mobile and stronger than I expected and especially smart while doing all that he brings, alot of obvious big time play experience!
"Indefatigable on Defense, defines these Celtics"