Author Topic: Sam  (Read 13415 times)

Sam
« on: May 08, 2008, 08:07:01 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I started the thread Who is tired of Sam. Maybe he wasn't comfortable before, but the first half of this game and the second half of last game he has not been exposed on defense, and running the offense  (it's not just that he's hitting shots but he's taking good shots). I humbly apologize to Sam Cassel and all his fans.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Re: Sam
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 09:47:14 PM »

Offline jluce

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 9
I started the thread Who is tired of Sam. Maybe he wasn't comfortable before, but the first half of this game and the second half of last game he has not been exposed on defense, and running the offense  (it's not just that he's hitting shots but he's taking good shots). I humbly apologize to Sam Cassel and all his fans.

Props and a TP to you good sir for taking it like a man.

Does everyone understand why we got/play Sam now?
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 09:54:47 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
This is not meant to be a confrontational topic, but Sam has been a controversial figure on this board since he got here.  In this game, he showed us why he is here.  In the playoffs, open shots are hard to come by - while Eddie is a great open shooter, he basically has two shots he can create on his own: the pump fake-single dribble 3 pointer, and the pump fake-single dribble 19 foot jump shot.

Sam came into the game tonight and steadied the team by hitting a variety of shots, but more importantly, he forced the Cavs to adjust to him defensively.  Instead of sagging off Rondo (who had an awful 1st quarter) by his 4th or 5th possession they had shifted to putting LeBron on him defensively to take away his post up game.  One of our bench's biggest flaws (there aren't many) is an inability for players to create their own shots when a play doesn't work or is defended well.  Sam gives us a guy who can make a shot, either for himself (usually) or for someone else (sometimes) on a broken play or late-clock situation.  I love Eddie, and he's served us well, but he simply cannot do this for our team.

Also, when Rondo is off his game, which is still gonna happen from time to time (remember, the kid would still be a college senior had he not left early), Sam can come in and run the offense well as he did tonight.  Games and situations like this are exactly why he is an asset to our team.  We owe a lot of tonight's victory to Sam for pulling us close to the Cavs so our starters could pull away in the late 2nd/early 3rd quarter.

Re: Does everyone understand why we got/play Sam now?
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 10:17:30 PM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139
Sam got the Celtics going tonight - no question about it. And he stuck his nose in there defensively, something I was pleasantly surprised about. Unfortunately, Eddie House and Tony Allen had to give up their spots in the rotation but it was probably worth it in the long run. 
Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 10:17:34 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Sam was huge tonight, and he played very, very good team basketball.

I'm not a huge fan of sam myself, but tonight he did several things extremely well.

1) he pushed the tempo- on of my biggest complaints with sam was that he tends to walk up and dribble down a guy, instead of swinging the ball around. Tonight he was excellent at not only getting good shots for himself but others.

2) he stayed in front of guys, another thing i have criticized him for. This is not to be overlooked, it's tough for a 38 year old guy with bad knees to stay in front of delonte, but sam played very, very well in team defense.

A huge TP to sam, he settled the ship by playing excellent team basketball tonight, awesome job sam I am.  :D
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 10:21:32 PM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266
Sam was huge tonight, and he played very, very good team basketball.

I'm not a huge fan of sam myself, but tonight he did several things extremely well.

1) he pushed the tempo- on of my biggest complaints with sam was that he tends to walk up and dribble down a guy, instead of swinging the ball around. Tonight he was excellent at not only getting good shots for himself but others.

2) he stayed in front of guys, another thing i have criticized him for. This is not to be overlooked, it's tough for a 38 year old guy with bad knees to stay in front of delonte, but sam played very, very well in team defense.

A huge TP to sam, he settled the ship by playing excellent team basketball tonight, awesome job sam I am.  :D
very well said Crownsy,i feel basically the same way about Sam in  tonight's win.Tp to you!

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 10:21:33 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
This is not meant to be a confrontational topic, but Sam has been a controversial figure on this board since he got here.  In this game, he showed us why he is here.  In the playoffs, open shots are hard to come by - while Eddie is a great open shooter, he basically has two shots he can create on his own: the pump fake-single dribble 3 pointer, and the pump fake-single dribble 19 foot jump shot.

Sam came into the game tonight and steadied the team by hitting a variety of shots, but more importantly, he forced the Cavs to adjust to him defensively.  Instead of sagging off Rondo (who had an awful 1st quarter) by his 4th or 5th possession they had shifted to putting LeBron on him defensively to take away his post up game.  One of our bench's biggest flaws (there aren't many) is an inability for players to create their own shots when a play doesn't work or is defended well.  Sam gives us a guy who can make a shot, either for himself (usually) or for someone else (sometimes) on a broken play or late-clock situation.  I love Eddie, and he's served us well, but he simply cannot do this for our team.

Also, when Rondo is off his game, which is still gonna happen from time to time (remember, the kid would still be a college senior had he not left early), Sam can come in and run the offense well as he did tonight.  Games and situations like this are exactly why he is an asset to our team.  We owe a lot of tonight's victory to Sam for pulling us close to the Cavs so our starters could pull away in the late 2nd/early 3rd quarter.

Very well said!! What Sam does when he comes off the bench is he gives us that effective slow-tempo half-court offense and he also recognizes the mismatches.
Tonight, there were a couple of times when Cassell passed it to Garnett when there was a shorter defender covering him.

The man is a veteran and plays as such. That's why I got irritated when everyone was getting on his case during the Atlanta series.

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 10:23:13 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
If I've said it once I've said it a hundred times

I LOVE SAM

;D :D ;D
Yup

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 10:30:50 PM »

Offline tanner

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 33
Somebody said you either love Sam or you don't.  There will be as many posts and threads praising Sam when he plays well as there will be criticizing him when he doesn't.  Each side has perfectly good reasons and there's no need to show up the other (not directed at the threadstarter or this post). 

But yeah this game (as well as the last one) showed why this team needs Sam warts and all-- less warts I hope as the games come along.  He just drives me crazy from time to time. :)

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 10:32:58 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Sam got the Celtics going tonight - no question about it. And he stuck his nose in there defensively, something I was pleasantly surprised about. Unfortunately, Eddie House and Tony Allen had to give up their spots in the rotation but it was probably worth it in the long run. 

to be fair, thats got nothing to do with sam, poesy is taking those minutes at the 2.

I already gave sammy a write up in the sam thread, so all i'll say about his play tonight is

;D ;D ;D ;D
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 10:52:43 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Sam in the first half was very nice. When Rondo was struggling he came in and did play well. In the second half he was back to old Sam. Fortunately the game was out of reach by then. I give him credit for a big game 1 and a big first half.

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 11:34:51 PM »

Offline fan33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 5
Not to be a smart arse but: I LOVE (no turn over) Sam (said in that Tommy voice ;D)

Still looks like E.T though  ;) lol

-Go Celtics-
"Indefatigable on Defense, defines these Celtics"

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 11:35:02 PM »

Offline BASSTHUMPER

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 352
sam has had sum bad games...i give him props for 2nite..

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2008, 11:39:10 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Sam's provided essential buckets at the pivotal points of each of the first two games of this series.
Yup

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2008, 11:42:28 PM »

Offline BASSTHUMPER

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 352
in the "i hate sam" threads i never see the sam lovers in those threads defending him...