Author Topic: Mike Brown thinks LeBron was fouled on final drive  (Read 9465 times)

Re: Mike Brown thinks LeBron was fouled on final drive
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2008, 03:49:34 PM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129
[quote author=Andrew Celtic Nation link=topic=17487.msg278265#msg278265
I was actually relieved he took it to the hole at that point because they could have had the alst shot and I had visions of Lebron scoring at the buzzer or even worse a buzzer beating three. I was just hoping their would be enough time left for us to get a good shot to try and win it but lucikly he missed.
[/quote]

He started that drive so early because he was expecting a foul and he wanted to have enough to get off a decent play after the foul.  The no foul was probably the best thing that happened to the Celtics.  It completely caught Lebron off guard.

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2008, 03:53:51 PM »

Offline CT34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
Mike Brown are you kidding me.  I guess you miss it when Joe Smith clearly fouled KG on his game winning drive. 

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2008, 03:57:35 PM »

Offline CT34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
But you have to give it to Mike Brown he is taking a page for the Phil Jackson school of coaching.  He is working the refs like Phil does. It would not surprise me to see the Cavs get the majority of the calls tonight.  So if your going to the game like me be prepared to boo the refs a lot tonight. 

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2008, 03:58:14 PM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
Brown is just setting the table for hopes for a tightly refereed game, Ie. Advantage:Cleveland , so long as 'Bron gets away with his travels and usual carrys... ::)

Your boy Pierce tends to travel as well.  There are always 2 sides to the coin my friend.  The refs actually whistled some travels Tuesday night which was very surprising. 

no more than any other slasher in the league, including bron bron.

For god's sake, Dwayne wade wouldn't have a career if anyone called a carry, that crossover he does is so illegal it's hillarious.

Traveling calls went out the window with sport centers top 10.

Couldn't agree more...I am not even sure kids in high school know there is such a thing as 'travelling' anymore...it's ridiculous

TP to you

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2008, 03:59:08 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think all Brown is doing is politicking for a more stringent set of calls on the Celtics tonight. He knows that complaining about referee non-calls isn't going to have any effect in changing the outcome of the game already played. But it might effect the calls that will be called tonight.

All year long LeBron has gotten the benefit of the "superstar" call that goes his way on both ends of the court. He's not used to the offensive fouls and traveling calls and the non-calls on his drives to the basket that occured in Game 1. I wonder if his not getting his normal calls right from the get go effected his play and was partly responsible for what looked like a lack of composure at times.

So Mike Brown is doing the lobbying for the calls for his superstar through the press, knowing that if LeBron doesn't get the special treatment he is used to then the Cavs have no shot of winning this series. Let's hope the refs don't read newspapers or the internet.

But if the calls start going LeBron's way tonight you know that Brown might just have gotten into the officials heads even before the game started.

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2008, 04:17:15 PM »

Offline Cassidy122690

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 18
I know flopping (or accentuating the contact to get the ref's attention) is a part of the game (and I hope something is done about it in the offseason), but LeBron already gets the rose-pedals-at-the-feet superstar treatment from the refs.  Coupling a Brando-esque flopping repertoire to blatant favoritism is downright nauseating.

Apologies if this play has been mentioned, but in the first half LeBron drove the lane, completely lost his balance sans contact, fell forward and maybe caught PJ's shoe as PJ was desperately trying to get out of LeBron's way.  Whistle!  Unreal.  Even my ol' lady who doesn't know sheet from shinola about hoops said, "Um, that dude just fell."  Me:  "yes, honey, I know ... pass the Maker's Mark, please."

On the Cassell flagrant foul, he almost gave himself whiplash when no contact was around his head.  Then he's grabbing his mouth like he lost chicklets, and I thought I actually saw tears!!  Amazing.

This dude is gonna give me a heart attack if he keeps this up.
Out of Ireland have we come, great hatred, little room, maimed us at the start. I carry from my mother's womb a fanatic heart.  W.B. Yeats

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2008, 04:23:48 PM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
Apologies if this play has been mentioned, but in the first half LeBron drove the lane, completely lost his balance sans contact, fell forward and maybe caught PJ's shoe as PJ was desperately trying to get out of LeBron's way.  Whistle!  Unreal.  Even my ol' lady who doesn't know sheet from shinola about hoops said, "Um, that dude just fell."  Me:  "yes, honey, I know ... pass the Maker's Mark, please."

By desperately trying to get out of the way do you mean trying to take a charge and slipping?  because that is what happened.  He was going to try and take a charge, slipped, and tripped Lebron

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2008, 04:26:12 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353

By desperately trying to get out of the way do you mean trying to take a charge and slipping?  because that is what happened.  He was going to try and take a charge, slipped, and tripped Lebron

Oh yeah, I couldn't remember what play he was referring to, but you're right.  That was definitely a foul on Brown.  However, the charge they called on Pierce when he didn't have his feet planted was still the right call, because LeBron lowered his shoulder.  You don't need to have position for that to be a charge.

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2008, 04:28:55 PM »

Offline Cassidy122690

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 18

Puh-lease.  LeBron's feet spun out from under him, his torso was lunging forward and PJ back-peddled like mad to get out of the way of the falling LeBron.  PJ ended up tipping over too because he apparently got vertigo for his 38th birthday.  Still wasn't a foul.  LeBron lost his footing all on his very own.
Out of Ireland have we come, great hatred, little room, maimed us at the start. I carry from my mother's womb a fanatic heart.  W.B. Yeats

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2008, 04:32:43 PM »

Offline Ersatz

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 37

Let's not get too nostalgic. I've been watching pro basketball since 1977, when I was 8, and I don't think the traveling (non)calls have changed at all since then, which was well before ESPN top 10s. And that's fine with me. One of the many irritating things about college basketball is how closely they call traveling. It's maddening. Let athletes play, I say.

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2008, 04:47:52 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Brown is a whiner.

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2008, 05:58:06 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

Let's not get too nostalgic. I've been watching pro basketball since 1977, when I was 8, and I don't think the traveling (non)calls have changed at all since then, which was well before ESPN top 10s. And that's fine with me. One of the many irritating things about college basketball is how closely they call traveling. It's maddening. Let athletes play, I say.

actually espn came on the air in early 1979, but i digress  ;D

well have to agree to disagree, for instance, the crap AI and others get away with, while fun to watch, are clearly carries by the definition of the rule, since they palm the ball and turn it on its side.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2008, 07:06:38 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
I think all Brown is doing is politicking for a more stringent set of calls on the Celtics tonight. He knows that complaining about referee non-calls isn't going to have any effect in changing the outcome of the game already played. But it might effect the calls that will be called tonight.

All year long LeBron has gotten the benefit of the "superstar" call that goes his way on both ends of the court. He's not used to the offensive fouls and traveling calls and the non-calls on his drives to the basket that occured in Game 1. I wonder if his not getting his normal calls right from the get go effected his play and was partly responsible for what looked like a lack of composure at times.

So Mike Brown is doing the lobbying for the calls for his superstar through the press, knowing that if LeBron doesn't get the special treatment he is used to then the Cavs have no shot of winning this series. Let's hope the refs don't read newspapers or the internet.

But if the calls start going LeBron's way tonight you know that Brown might just have gotten into the officials heads even before the game started.

i have watched the cavs a number of games this year since i am near cleveland...for now. lebron does get incredibly favorably treatment by the refs. that may be standard for the nba in general. but given this treatment, i am disappointed at his general sense of privledge and entitlement. he expects such treatment and he does whine when something does not go his way.

he is a truely great player, but his whining does bother me since it is common. oh well, i guess i am just venting before the game.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2008, 01:16:36 PM »

Offline DannyZ

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
In the last regular season game against the Cavs, Lebron tweaked his ankle.  He writhed in fake agony for about a minute before being carried off the court.

10 minutes later he threw down a tomahawk dunk.

We are all witnesses.

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2008, 01:24:09 PM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
In the last regular season game against the Cavs, Lebron tweaked his ankle.  He writhed in fake agony for about a minute before being carried off the court.

10 minutes later he threw down a tomahawk dunk.

We are all witnesses.

I know, its amazing that someone may roll an ankle, be in pain and then play through it.  Have you rolled an ankle before? It's not comfortable.