Author Topic: Coach Mazzulla so far so good.  (Read 6834 times)

Re: Coach Mazzulla so far so good.
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2022, 01:17:31 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
I would say it is a few things.  Perhaps most important is continuity.  Udoka came in with a whole new scheme and it was clear that it took a while for the team to get in the groove.  There were a number of short term injuries.  The starting 5 didn't start playing regularly until the second half of the season.  This year, we are building on last but also the core players have been playing mostly.

The other thing was Tatum.  He started cold.  I think he was like 31% from 3 or something.  And didn't he miss 20 in a row in one stretch?  I give Mazzulla credit.  He has them playing well.  Defense does need to tighten up.  I suspect it will.   I wasn't sure about Udoka at this point last season so it is no surprise that the jury is still out on Mazzulla so far this season.  But agree, so far so good.

« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2022, 04:02:39 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I d say he is SO GOOD so far  :)

« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2022, 05:52:59 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 733
Looks to me like Mazulla has put in more off-ball movement and screening into the offense, which is a huge improvement. I believe Udoka's stagnant offense cost us the title. The defense ?? I don't know, but they are painful to watch on that end right now and were so much fun to watch last season - like a swarming beehive. They are actually last in the league in opponent turnovers this year. That type of defense takes a lot of effort, as does fighting over the top of screens. Maybe the players are thinking they will transition back to that type of effort as the season progresses. Would love to see a return to the swarming defense combined with this improved offense and a full roster.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2022, 06:31:04 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1440
Looks to me like Mazulla has put in more off-ball movement and screening into the offense, which is a huge improvement. I believe Udoka's stagnant offense cost us the title. The defense ?? I don't know, but they are painful to watch on that end right now and were so much fun to watch last season - like a swarming beehive. They are actually last in the league in opponent turnovers this year. That type of defense takes a lot of effort, as does fighting over the top of screens. Maybe the players are thinking they will transition back to that type of effort as the season progresses. Would love to see a return to the swarming defense combined with this improved offense and a full roster.

This is my thinking. A lot of playing defense is just effort. I expect them to pick it up, especially when Rob returns. He’s the most important defensive player on the team, IMO. The Anchor.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 07:19:02 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2022, 07:21:08 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
Don't see how anyone can complain so far. Top offense in the NBA and top record in the NBA. Only downspot is the defense.

the defense puzzles me. But you can see like vs the thunder when they want to they can turn it on. Maybe they feel this early in the season they don't have to?

Also we are getting killed in the paint. Something timelord should help.

« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2022, 07:55:22 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
Timelord as free safety should shore up some of our defensive woes, but the offensive wrinkles certainly require more effort and active thinking so it's not unreasonable to see the defense suffer a little in early days.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2022, 08:09:28 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
Timelord as free safety should shore up some of our defensive woes, but the offensive wrinkles certainly require more effort and active thinking so it's not unreasonable to see the defense suffer a little in early days.

If you think of the big change over the last season, RWill is out and we have added Brogdon.  A lot of defense out, a lot of offense in.  In that context, it is not surprising that our defense has slipped and our offense has improved.  I think that is the simple, obvious explanation.

More generally though, we just lack size and athleticism in our big rotation.  Horford is a year older.  RWill is out.  Grant plays good on ball defense but isn't that kind of "have your back" big defender that allows tighter perimeter defense.  Vonleh and Kornet, well, enough said.

But somehow, we have been able to start the season 11-3.  RWill will help for sure.  And we probably do need another reliable experienced big.  We are fine though and Mazzulla appears to be a perfectly capable coach, maybe better than "capable".  We'll see.

« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2022, 10:18:32 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
Joe is slowly getting the feel of being a head coach i think. What a year it would be if the Celtics win it all and Joe ends up being Coach or the Year.

« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2022, 10:38:39 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Looks like Mazz is the ships new captain .

Might as well tell Udoka to shove off mate.

« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2022, 10:46:39 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Time to take the interim label off his title....if they can, legally.

« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2022, 11:19:08 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Mazzulla’s success might keep Udoka from getting a new job as much as his transgressions.  The Celtics start to this year, especially offensively, is certainly taking some of the luster off Udoka’s work last season.