Author Topic: Then it was just the 76ers  (Read 13168 times)

Then it was just the 76ers
« on: July 18, 2018, 04:04:48 PM »

Offline Chef Parish

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 1668
Raptors and Cavs losing their star players. I'm not substituting Leonard as a star yet for the Raptors. That leaves the 76ers as the only challenging team right now for the Celtics.

Re: Then it was just the 76ers
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 04:09:15 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don’t really buy that. Toronto shouldn’t be discounted as a contender.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 04:18:39 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Toronto is more of a contender with KL, assuming he shows up.

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 04:25:10 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Yeah, thread fail.  I don't think Tor was a contender before in theory, any change would potentially be bad for the Celts.  In this case, replacing DeRozen with Kawhi is a clear upgrade.

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 04:25:11 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Toronto with healthy Kawhi is better than Philly IMO

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 04:35:57 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Zach Lowe shares this opinion.

"A Finals run might help. Toronto has a chance at that. With this deal, the Raptors enter next season just behind Boston -- ahead of Philly -- in the Eastern Conference pecking order. (The Celtics could be 60-plus-wins special next season."

This board is one of the few places in the world with such an elevated view of a philly team that lost two bench players and whiffed on there three main targets this summer. Its really bizarre how people talk about them on here...

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 04:40:32 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

"A Finals run might help. Toronto has a chance at that. With this deal, the Raptors enter next season just behind Boston -- ahead of Philly -- in the Eastern Conference pecking order. (The Celtics could be 60-plus-wins special next season."

This board is one of the few places in the world with such an elevated view of a philly team that lost two bench players and whiffed on there three main targets this summer. Its really bizarre how people talk about them on here...
Not quite.  National media LOVES Embiid/Simmons though they seem to acknowledge the Celtics are near the top too.

Anyway, assuming Kawhi plays hard for the Raptors and is healthy, how can they not be better than last year since KL is >> DD?  FWIW, they also got Danny Green in the deal.

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 04:56:48 PM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
Raptors and Cavs losing their star players. I'm not substituting Leonard as a star yet for the Raptors. That leaves the 76ers as the only challenging team right now for the Celtics.

Unless you're just waiting on the trade becoming official, in which case you should still have Derozean on the Raptors, your decision in bold doesn't make sense.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 05:02:56 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Kawhi is 2 notches above Derozan. They are a real threat now.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 05:04:17 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think TOR now is a bigger threat than Philly who is full of losers who are used to tanking.

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2018, 05:18:46 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Kawhi is 2 notches above Derozan. They are a real threat now.

I might quibble about just how much of an upgrade Kawhi is to Derozan but when healthy and committed it is inarguable he is an upgrade.

The question is whether or not Kawhi shows up.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2018, 05:22:59 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I think TOR now is a bigger threat than Philly who is full of losers who are used to tanking.
Except they are not.  They went from 10 wins to 28 wins to 52 wins.  Covington is really their only player who was playing with them through their tanking seasons.  McConnell and Holmes were only on the 10 win tank.  Embiid, Saric, Simmons, Redick, Fultz have played 2 years or less. 

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2018, 05:23:04 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88

Not quite.  National media LOVES Embiid/Simmons though they seem to acknowledge the Celtics are near the top too.

Anyway, assuming Kawhi plays hard for the Raptors and is healthy, how can they not be better than last year since KL is >> DD?  FWIW, they also got Danny Green in the deal.
Basketball isn't played on paper, Kawhi doesn't want to play for that team and what will Lowry feel about that team also

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2018, 05:30:00 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
i second this. no one knows whether fultz will be a factor. we are not sure if embiid's immaturity will be a problem. and will simmons be able to beat defenses who dare him to shoot? quite a few questions to answered by philly.

toronto is better this year than last, assuming kawhi plays for them.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2018, 05:51:24 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
i second this. no one knows whether fultz will be a factor. we are not sure if embiid's immaturity will be a problem. and will simmons be able to beat defenses who dare him to shoot? quite a few questions to answered by philly.

toronto is better this year than last, assuming kawhi plays for them.  ;D
Embiid's immaturity?  Please.  Having fun trash talking and on social media isn't immaturity.  He's arguably a top 10 player already in less than 100 NBA games played.