Author Topic: Star Wars: Episode IX  (Read 29516 times)

Re: Rise Of Skywalker
« Reply #165 on: December 19, 2019, 08:07:10 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I've enjoyed them all and I simply go to movies to be entertained.  I don' t go in expecting this and that, try this and you will be much happier with movies and TV shows.   Though, most of them are blatantly predictable as you watch them.

« Reply #166 on: December 19, 2019, 08:52:17 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Oh and more baloney in the movie where they show Leia defeating Luke in lightsaber combat. Yikes.

what
A flashback of Leia dueling with Luke is shown (in training of course) and she bests him. For the first two movies they went all ''Leia didn't receive any force training'' to ''lets have Rey call Leia master and find out she had a lightsaber and trained with Luke''.

So this is a spoiler from the new one? Could you please flag those til it's been out for...more than zero time?

« Reply #167 on: December 19, 2019, 09:43:21 PM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Just came back from seeing this. I absolutely loved The Rise of Skywalker. I'll be seeing this again on Saturday and hopefully many more while it's in the theater.

« Reply #168 on: December 19, 2019, 09:53:19 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
I've enjoyed them all and I simply go to movies to be entertained.  I don' t go in expecting this and that, try this and you will be much happier with movies and TV shows.   Though, most of them are blatantly predictable as you watch them.

Frankly, if the movie, story and action keeps me glued and I do not doze off at any part of it... Then I would basically call it a good movie.

Now ep 7 to 9 I can say with certainty didnt exactly amped upy excitement but regardless because I'm a SW fan, I still watched all 3.

I think the biggest mistake Disney did here was not coordinating properly after ep 7 to where the story is supposed to be heading hence much part of ep 9 is basically just trying to repair the mistakes of ep 8.

I enjoyed ep 9 despite the bad reviews. The visuals and scope were very good and JJ Abrams is just good at bringing realism to his work...

Story could have been better and also I agree with some others out there that re hashing Palpatine was for me a big mistake.. He was dead and should have stayed dead.

« Reply #169 on: December 19, 2019, 10:45:53 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Just saw it, and I enjoyed it.

There are plenty of plot holes, and I’ve got some qualms and quibbles. People who hated the first two will hate this one.  But for me, it entertained me, and tied together the first two into a coherent trilogy.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #170 on: December 20, 2019, 12:37:10 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Just saw it, and I enjoyed it.

There are plenty of plot holes, and I’ve got some qualms and quibbles. People who hated the first two will hate this one.  But for me, it entertained me, and tied together the first two into a coherent trilogy.

I agree. It was extremely enjoyable, and did a surprisingly excellent job of tying all three of the new trilogy together. For example, it makes sense why Luke was so cold with Rey and hesitant to train her (her true identity along with his explanation), and why Rey has so much force power. Very satisfying.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 12:53:50 AM by hpantazo »

« Reply #171 on: December 20, 2019, 01:52:48 AM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
 :laugh:
Oh and more baloney in the movie where they show Leia defeating Luke in lightsaber combat. Yikes.

what
A flashback of Leia dueling with Luke is shown (in training of course) and she bests him. For the first two movies they went all ''Leia didn't receive any force training'' to ''lets have Rey call Leia master and find out she had a lightsaber and trained with Luke''.

So this is a spoiler from the new one? Could you please flag those til it's been out for...more than zero time?
Sorry for that one, but I assumed a thread about a movie would contain spoilers. But dont worry, this is completely irrelevant to the story, just a tiny flashback

« Reply #172 on: December 20, 2019, 01:54:41 AM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
I think the laziest excuse in the book is "well you can never make Star Wars fans happy, so why try?" I've seen it get thrown around a bunch, and it makes no sense to me. There are many Star Wars things that are univerally considered good (Kotor I and II, the original Battlefront games, the Original Trilogy, The Mandalorian, Jedi: Fallen Order, ect.), that this sentiment just seems like an easy way to pass the blame over to the fans. Most of us just want some quality stuff.
Well said, TP

« Reply #173 on: December 20, 2019, 02:38:00 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Disney killed Star Wars with this movie and trilogy. Not joking or exaggerating. This entire fiasco has already alienated the hardcore lovers of the fanbase. The casual fans are just going to move on to marvel or whatever mainstream thing disney is pumping out every month.

How did they kill it? Lazy writing. Lazy ideas. Focus on SJW propaganda and social justice instead of focusing on storytelling and world building. Same old crap and nothing creative. Same x wings, same tie fighters, same Star destroyers with slight differences. Same Death Star just slightly bigger with the same weakness. Same cantina just a different song this time but in a castle. Same “I am your father” type of line in episode 9.
Prequels brought all new starships, new alien characters, new ideas brought to life.

This isn’t a important part of my criticism but they did kill the original trilogy cast off in pretty pathetic ways. Why did they have to killl them? Why couldn’t they just go and do their own story with their own characters.. Sad and pathetic ways that every single character from the OT died in a terrible way. Why isn’t han with leia in episode 7? Why on earth would a war hero worshipped by the galaxy need to go back to smuggling ?  Why didn’t Leia comfort chewy when she finds out Han dies? She walks right past him to hug rey (a girl she never met.) she knew chewy for over 4 decades

Why does Luke say in episode 9 that the destiny of the Jedi is confronting fear, yet he is super fearful of everything in episode 8? He doesn’t even leave the frickin island.

Lightsabers don’t even touch in episode 8. The throne room fight in episode 8 has terrible moments where the guards miss their cue in chereography. The fights in episode 9 are lumpishly unchoreographed biff-bash-and-blam fight scenes.

Also, The last Jedi established that slamming a starship into hyperspace into another ship is a good attack yet it isn’t used ever except in that movie. Why don’t we have droids Manning ships and doing that 24/7? Then this new movie now has us going back to Endor. And going back to the throne room from return of the Jedi. And the emperor wants to bring Rey to him to turn her dark.... gee I wonder which movie they’re copying without any original idea whatsoever? The new useless droid is the most shameless cash grab for toys I’ve ever seen. D-0 is useless. He’s a barebones robot that’s designed to be cheap to make as a toy in China to sell here in America at a 400% profit margin. I don’t mind cash grabs if they add the story in some way. Jar jar was manipulated by palpatine and added to the story. Plus jar jar was a war hero who fought in the battle of naboo and successfully recruited  the gunyans to fight in it. He was integral. D-0 and babu frik were shameless toys in the movie ...

By losing the hardcore fans, Disney killed Star Wars because those are the ones who made the money machine run. The force awakens was the biggest box office ever because of the super fans and the immense hype behind the return of Star Wars after a decade... and Disney blew it. Could have created a new generation of young fans like the prequels did. But they didn’t. They lost fans. Proof? Look at the decline in box office numbers.  Look at the decline in merchandise sales. Star Wars Toys aren’t selling like THey use to. That signals a deep lack of interest in what use to be the brand that sold like hotcakes

Star Wars is done. The Solo movie LOST money. TLJ had the first decline. And now rise will disappoint. Anyone who thinks Star Wars has a bright future is kidding themselves.

More details why these movies  are bad:
https://youtu.be/95mL3us0HSQ
https://youtu.be/uFtFjH8NyQQ
https://youtu.be/vw7pcCj0ORk

« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 04:07:07 AM by CelticsElite »

« Reply #174 on: December 20, 2019, 06:32:43 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
I got news for you there are way more of us casual fans than you hardcore fans in terms of populace.  It always amazes me that hardcore fans seems to think they are entitled to more than the rest of us.

How did they kill it? Lazy writing. Lazy ideas

Yet hasn't this always been the case targeted to largely teen age boys?   Troupes stolen from other genres.   Your kidding yourself it you ever thought Stars Wars were literary classics.   They are movies and movies are out to make money period.

« Reply #175 on: December 20, 2019, 07:00:51 AM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
I got news for you there are way more of us casual fans than you hardcore fans in terms of populace.  It always amazes me that hardcore fans seems to think they are entitled to more than the rest of us.

How did they kill it? Lazy writing. Lazy ideas

Yet hasn't this always been the case targeted to largely teen age boys?   Troupes stolen from other genres.   Your kidding yourself it you ever thought Stars Wars were literary classics.   They are movies and movies are out to make money period.
What makes you think that? People just want a good, non-recycled (at least not too obviously) story with relatable characters and their struggles. If someone had similar complaints about a standalone title (like Edge of Tomorrow for example), would you accept their criticism then? You don't have to watch, if you feel like it's for teenage boys. And it's not like hardcore fans dislike everything without reason, they love a lot of the content that is out there (Clone wars, Thrawn trilogy, several video games, heck even Disney's Rogue one and Mandalorian). It's been shown that we can get good storylines eithon the universe which can be liked, it's just that Disney's trilogy isn't that.

It's actually sad to think that a video game can have a far better story than big movies such as this.

« Reply #176 on: December 20, 2019, 07:10:00 AM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
Oh, and another thing for all of you who diss hardcore fans and say there are more casual fans. Have you heard of the Pareto principle? In this case 20% of the most loyal customers (ie hardcore fans) generate 80% of all the profits. If you lose half of them (though only 10% of the entire fanbase) you lose 40% of the profits. Since like you said, everyrhing is about money, Disney sure is going to feel that. Hardcore fans are the ones who buy not only cinema tickets but toys, video games, books, comics, costumes....

Where do you think the profits are made?

« Reply #177 on: December 20, 2019, 08:35:58 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
What makes you think that? People just want a good, non-recycled (at least not too obviously) story with relatable characters and their struggles. If someone had similar complaints about a standalone title (like Edge of Tomorrow for example), would you accept their criticism then? You don't have to watch, if you feel like it's for teenage boys. And it's not like hardcore fans dislike everything without reason, they love a lot of the content that is out there (Clone wars, Thrawn trilogy, several video games, heck even Disney's Rogue one and Mandalorian). It's been shown that we can get good storylines eithon the universe which can be liked, it's just that Disney's trilogy isn't that.

Because it is the case, I can enjoy such things because I have an inner child as many of us do.   I grew up liking such things but quite pretending that the writing has ever been great writing like Casablanca, Citizen Kane or the Godfather.   It is  Harry Potter with lasers.   Young people who grow up under fire are heroic and win at the end of course, there is a obligatory temptation of power and moment when it looks like evil prevails then the good guy roar back against the odds.

I like them, I just accept them for what they are...

« Reply #178 on: December 20, 2019, 12:45:19 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
:laugh:

what

Sorry for that one, but I assumed a thread about a movie would contain spoilers. But dont worry, this is completely irrelevant to the story, just a tiny flashback

I'm not very anti-spoilers but when it's something not in any trailer or official material before the movie's even out I think that's a different animal. No worries anyway, I'll be steering clear til I see it in a few days.

Re: Star Wars: Episode IX
« Reply #179 on: December 20, 2019, 03:10:54 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
There’s too many characters in this new movie. We are 2 movies in the trilogy and still don’t know much about the new main characters, and Jj decides to introduce many more new characters (zori, jannah, babu frik, etc)

Also Disney decided to put 30 minutes of previews before the film. No joke or exaggeration.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 03:28:17 PM by CelticsElite »