Author Topic: Jaylen doesn't look like a star  (Read 6614 times)

Re: Jaylen doesn't look like a star
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2018, 02:44:32 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Can we stop with the Jimmy Butler comparisons.  His career trajectory is the exception, not the rule.

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2018, 02:51:35 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Why stop? Jaylen has been better than Jimmy Butler at basketball almost every year through 21 years.

Butler was a late bloomer, but why can't Jaylen become as good of a basketball player. I think they have similar attributes.

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2018, 03:18:15 PM »

Offline TheBigTicket23

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 59
  • Anything is possible!
If he fixes the following he will be great

- Ball handling
- Free throws
- Fast break situations with atleast 1 defender in front (goes a long way with ball handling).

Every game he makes 1 or 2 stupid mistakes which a player with his intellect should definitely not make! As he is a very smart guy.

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2018, 03:27:59 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
Aren't his stats better than Paul George's through his first 2 years?  I mean,  he has only been in the league a year and a half.  Think of where Avery was at  the same point.

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2018, 03:30:00 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
The things he doesn't do well are the easiest to fix. He has well below average footwork. He does not know how to set up a defender to beat them off the dribble. He also doesn't read help defense well at at all, so he often drives into a pileup of defenders. Everyone who stays in the league always gets better at this stuff as they get older.

Despite this, he's scoring 14+ per game efficiently as a 21 year old. He can shoot quite well and can finish above the rim through contact. His balance is excellent. He's super fast and super strong. Most importantly he's really smart, works very hard and always shakes off the last play immediately.

He's going to be a great player.

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2018, 03:31:17 PM »

Online byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Um, what?

He's 21 and already an *efficient* 14/6 two-way player. He's nowhere near his prime. There are only a small handful of players that good, that young.

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2018, 03:55:01 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Why stop? Jaylen has been better than Jimmy Butler at basketball almost every year through 21 years.

Butler was a late bloomer, but why can't Jaylen become as good of a basketball player. I think they have similar attributes.

I really don’t get the comparisons to Butler other than similar build, well Brown still has a little ways to go to be rock solid like Butler, and that Brown has defensive potential like Butler.

On offense though Butler has a much more refined game with his dribbling, mid range, and post game playing mostly below the rim using power.

Brown on the other hand plays more above the rim while already seems like a better 3 point shooter.  Much more raw, but if he gets a step on his man might be more explosive.

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2018, 04:01:28 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Ya I really don't get this thread. I mean Jaylen might never become a star but he has shown major improvement from year 1 to 2 and is only 21 so if the trend continues he certainly could get there. As others have pointed out his numbers are better than Jimmy Butlers and similar to George or Hayward at the same age. The things he needs to work on ate all area that generally improve naturally with age like footwork, feel for the game, finishing in traffic. His handle has already gotten better and given how fast he is with the ball (doesn't lose a lot of speed when dribbling) he has some promise as a ball handler. He has manged to improve both usage and efficiency this year, very difficult do. Even if he never improves at all he is still a very good pro player and the perfect player who can help fight the warriors. He should take more threes if anything.

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2018, 04:02:34 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Too early to tell but you have to say his ceiling is probably top 20 player in the league. His work ethic and intelligence makes it hard for me to believe he won't meet that ceiling.

Heck, his growth just from the beginning of the year to now can be seen. He fights through picks better, plays much better in the switching scheme, his ability to finish with contact is miles better and just recently he has really been doing a great job of passing to the open man when during his drives he gets shut down.

At 21, I find it hard to believe he won't get way better while playing winning basketball and not just posting numbers on a bad team.

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2018, 04:20:38 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I'm just glad nobody's using a team-first Ricky Davis (never was there such a thing) as a comp.

Jaylen actually does look like a star
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2018, 04:22:24 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
... he should not be taking as many three pointers as he does.  I suppose the free throw shooting may be getting to him but he's settling way too much.

You can count on that his 3-pt frequency has the full backing of the coaching staff, given how well he shoots it and how often he gets to the rim.  .354 of his shots are at the rim, and he's shooting an excellent .634 on those.  He gets to the line frequently, just above the gold-standard .300, at .301 per FG attempt. Given that, it's hard to justify a claim that he's avoiding getting fouled, or settling for the jumper.

In any given lineup he's probably no better than the third option, so his reliably excellent outside shot is opening up driving lanes and spread pick and rolls for his teammates.

...shaky handle...

I've heard people claim this before, but given how often he puts it on the deck and how good his turnover % is, I can't say I could go along with it.

...okay jumper...

Really? His numbers say otherwise.  Short midrange (10-16) he's shooting .450 (compare to Tatum at .455); Long Midrange he's shooting an excellent .485 (handily beating out Tatum at .456).

...lacks go to moves...

I won't insult you... you're wrong. He's highly skilled and has a wide repertoire.

But much of his offensive game is (mostly likely) too delayed to consider him a star in the making.

He's 21. His 2pt% is .518 and his 3pt% is .387; he gets to the line at .301 FTrate; he's got a wide repertoire of moves off the dribble, runs like a deer, and has a very acceptable turnover rate of 11.5%.

Did I mention that he's 21?

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2018, 04:26:39 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119

I really don’t get the comparisons to Butler other than similar build, well Brown still has a little ways to go to be rock solid like Butler, and that Brown has defensive potential like Butler.

On offense though Butler has a much more refined game with his dribbling, mid range, and post game playing mostly below the rim using power.

Brown on the other hand plays more above the rim while already seems like a better 3 point shooter.  Much more raw, but if he gets a step on his man might be more explosive.

Similar build, defense-first with high offensive potential, high motor, good IQ. Also Jaylen Brown trained with Jimmy Butler a summer or two ago.

Also, the thing with comparisons is that now players have these guys to look at - ultimately Jaylen Brown will end up being... Jaylen Brown. But if you don't think Jaylen's going to look to Jimmy's game and trajectory and say, "That could be me," you're crazy. (Not that you're saying that.)

So that means to me that this comparison isn't, like, a pure thing and more of - where does Jaylen look, how does he think of himself and how is his role similar to other players of this era.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

Jaylen actually does look like a star
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2018, 04:29:41 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
... just recently he has really been doing a great job of passing to the open man when during his drives he gets shut down.

Definitely a growth area for him, along with free throw shooting.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 04:36:11 PM by ThePaintedArea »

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2018, 04:34:43 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
He's much better this year than last year. And when players improve from 19 to 20, they generally keep improving. It's the ones who don't improve who worry you.

Comparing him to other players with a similar profile (athletic wings with shooting questions coming out of school), a lot of them seem to be plateauing at lower levels. Take Winslow, or Johnson, or MKG. Those guys never developed any offensive skills, while JB has already surpassed them.

One thing that really looks good about him this year is mid-range shooting. He hits that little pull-up at a very good rate (45% from 10-16 ft, 49% from 16-20 ft). Much improved from last year. As is his 3pt shooting. Both are very much improved from college. Yes the FT shooting is a concern, but I actually view that as more fixable than the other two.

The upshot for me: I think he has another year or two of significant development. I don't know where that leaves him, but I think it's trending better than "very good role player."

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2018, 04:37:57 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
Instead of making a new thread, I'll just ask this here. If Brown ends up being Harrison Barnes 2.0 would you consider that a bust?