Author Topic: Ode to Avery Bradley  (Read 6112 times)

Re: Ode to Avery Bradley
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2016, 11:33:09 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Justifies his sending Shuttleworth to the bench.

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2016, 11:35:58 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I have had nothing but love for AB from day one. 

When he lacked the talent to stay on the court, he made up for it by working harder then anybody else on the court, every second he was out there.

When he got an opportunity to get some minutes during Ray Allen's injury in only his second year as a pro, he came in and made such a huge impact with his energy/motor that he forced the team to put move Ray Allen - a future first ballot hall of famer - into a bench role.

When the team got torn apart in the first year of the rebuild, he stepped up and proved two key things - that he could score the ball (being one of the teams leading scorers with that deadly midrange game) and that he could be a leader in the locker room and on the court.

Then he improved his ball handling - once a major liability - to the point where he could actually create his own off shots off the dribble. 

Then he improved his three point shot to the point he actually became a legit focus of the opponents gameplan - rarely do you EVER see an opposing team giving AB open threes, he has a man glued to him pretty much every second he's on the court

Then he improved his ability to finish around the basket - he shot well over 60% inside the restricted area last year.

Now he's made massive strides with his rebounding and his playmaking.

2016 regular season stats so far:
21.3 PPG, 8.7 RPG, 4.7 APG, 52% FG, 67% 3PT

Add that to All-Defensive 1st Team calibre D, and if he keeps playing even close to this level you're looking at a pretty much certain All-Star.

The best part of all?  His personality has never changed this whole time.  He's still the same loyal, modest, blue collar guy he was the day he entered the league - has never let any of the recognition get to his head.

Two TP's for the OP for the recognition, and a massive shout out to Bradley for all that he has done for this team over the past 7 or so years.

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2016, 11:40:22 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
His poise, decision making and shooting ability we're taking it to the hole are all markedly improved.
Yup

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2016, 12:12:13 AM »

Offline Celtic_Pride777

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
Here's some food for thought for how well Avery played tonight

Avery Bradley by half-
1st: 15 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal, 5-9 FG, 5-7 3pt
2nd: 16 points, 4 rebounds, 1 assist 6-10 FG, 3-4 3pt

31  Points.
11  Rebounds.
4   Assists.
Career-high 3-pointers (making 8 of out 11, which 1 shy of tying the Celtics’ single-game record (done by Antoine Walker, twice)

This is just the 3rd time in his career that Avery Bradley has scored 30+ points. He's also the 1st Celtics guard to have at least 25 points & 10 rebounds in a game since Rondo on 02/12/12 vs. CHI

After the game, AB said he understood he could do more as a playmaker and rebounder: "And that’s what I’m going to be doing this entire year."

This could be the year he becomes a All-Star caliber player. 

Keep in mind, Bradley has never averaged more than 15.2 points, 3.8 rebounds or 2.1 assists per game in a season during his seven-year career. Right now, through 3 games, he's already averaging 21.3 points, 8.7 rebounds and 4.7 assists per game.

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2016, 12:22:18 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
3 games (preseason doesn't count) only people... don't jinx AB.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2016, 12:23:05 AM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2004
I have had nothing but love for AB from day one. 

When he lacked the talent to stay on the court, he made up for it by working harder then anybody else on the court, every second he was out there.

When he got an opportunity to get some minutes during Ray Allen's injury in only his second year as a pro, he came in and made such a huge impact with his energy/motor that he forced the team to put move Ray Allen - a future first ballot hall of famer - into a bench role.

When the team got torn apart in the first year of the rebuild, he stepped up and proved two key things - that he could score the ball (being one of the teams leading scorers with that deadly midrange game) and that he could be a leader in the locker room and on the court.

Then he improved his ball handling - once a major liability - to the point where he could actually create his own off shots off the dribble. 

Then he improved his three point shot to the point he actually became a legit focus of the opponents gameplan - rarely do you EVER see an opposing team giving AB open threes, he has a man glued to him pretty much every second he's on the court

Then he improved his ability to finish around the basket - he shot well over 60% inside the restricted area last year.

Now he's made massive strides with his rebounding and his playmaking.

2016 regular season stats so far:
21.3 PPG, 8.7 RPG, 4.7 APG, 52% FG, 67% 3PT

Add that to All-Defensive 1st Team calibre D, and if he keeps playing even close to this level you're looking at a pretty much certain All-Star.

The best part of all?  His personality has never changed this whole time.  He's still the same loyal, modest, blue collar guy he was the day he entered the league - has never let any of the recognition get to his head.

Two TP's for the OP for the recognition, and a massive shout out to Bradley for all that he has done for this team over the past 7 or so years.

TP, well summarized.  I can understand how some of the fans here were critical of him early in his career - poor shooter, tunnel vision, poor ball handling and poor passing ability, undersized, and frequently injured. 

At the same time, I couldn't understand just how much hate he got here.  His work ethic is unquestionable.  He's a humble kid who never got in trouble off of the court.  Pure effort and energy kind of player.  He defends his ass off, even if it wasn't up to par with unreasonable expectations here that he did a full court press for 30 minutes a game.  He always had a good shooting stroke - even Doc Rivers said that he made everything in practice, and that it was only a matter of time before his shot started to fall in games.  And, as pointed out, he's gotten better every year.

I recall how unhappy some people were here when he got his 4 years/~$8 million per year deal, and how he was labeled as a chucker when he was basically one of the focal points of our offense during the 1st year of our rebuild.  I don't see those criticisms anymore.

I'm beginning to think he can be a legit 3rd option on offense on a championship caliber team.  And even if not, he's an indispensable type player who can help your team win it all.  I'm glad he's finally getting the recognition he deserves, starting with his all-defense first team award last year.

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2016, 06:46:20 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
TP

He gets better every year. I love how he was taking responsibility after the Chicago loss, and pointed to our rebounding as the main culprit, and the next game comes out and backs it up with a career performance, including 11 rebounds.

That's how winners do it.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2016, 07:16:32 AM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Funny how people wanted him gone two seasons ago.
I've always seen something special in this kid and I'm glad that he's living up to his full potential.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2016, 08:03:00 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
3 games (preseason doesn't count) only people... don't jinx AB.

I'm not trying to jinx him (note that this thread was created before the regular season started) and I don't expect him to score 21 ppg this year. I just think he's the unsung hero, the true lunch pail guy for this team who has gotten better every single year he's been in the league. I appreciate and respect the hell out of that kind of player.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2016, 08:28:20 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
we have 22 televised games this year and soon the announcers and analysts will start there avery bradley campaign and with just cause
i noticed last year avery started off games with a high shooting % and saw it drop off-i thought that his defense got more attention and he got tired and his offense suffered
i think isaiah and rozier have had a positive effect on his getting to the basket-brad said it yesterday having your bigs outside, our guards must rebound
gotta credit rozier for showing avery that guards can rebound at high level

i  believe because of avery's form and quick twitch elevation and his squared off compact release, avery could become our best shooter and possibly challenge isaiah for point per game
its tough to play at elite level on both ends of court without having marcus, he had to step up
rozier is doing a very good job but marcus and his defensive menace are missing

« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 08:34:08 AM by rollie mass »

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2016, 08:33:04 AM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
TP

He gets better every year. I love how he was taking responsibility after the Chicago loss, and pointed to our rebounding as the main culprit, and the next game comes out and backs it up with a career performance, including 11 rebounds.

That's how winners do it.
Getting better every year is what Bird did.  He set a goal each off-season to improve some facet of his game.  Avery also learned directly from great pros like KG, PP about hard work.  Put Avery Bradley on PHI or SAC or NOP and he would not have been as good for this reason alone.

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2017, 10:55:11 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
As Avery heads off to the Pistons, I'd just like to say that he'll be greatly missed.

This is a guy who should come back at the end of his career on a one day contract to retire a Celtic. He's been a pro's pro and I hope he gets paid $25m next year because he earned every dime.

You'll always be a Celtic, Avery!
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.